DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-17-2012, 01:38 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 RAM 1500 4 door
Trim Level: Standard
Color: Hunter Green
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
RAMinDubai is on a distinguished road
Default Why is it hard to get out of reverse gear ?

Ola RAM people, from lovely Dubai !

Mine is RAM 1500 5.7 2011 at 8700km from new. I am having a minor issue which is probabkly nothing but irritating me more and more....

OK, reached my destination, aircon off, music off, etc, gear shift from D, N, R... heading into park. Wait, it doesn't want to come out of R ! After a bit more aggression it comes from R to P. Great !

Even just in a 3 point turn or something, I find coming out of R is a pain.

I find I have to be more agressive with the switch stick (dont know if it is called that) which I absolutely HATE being aggressive with anything to do with transmission.

So - why does it not come OUT of R easily ? silimar experiences ?

cheers Graham (providing the lights and sound for big concerts)
Sponsored links
Old 10-17-2012, 03:43 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I personally don't know
Possibly your linkage needs a slight bit of adjustment ??
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 10-17-2012, 06:57 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

I agree with GT, it sounds like something in the linkage is hanging up.

If you're not handy underneath a vehicle I'd take it into your mechanic ASAP and get it checked out. It's likely to get worse, and then you could find yourself in a very bad situation of having your truck stuck in reverse.

good luck and let know how you make out

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 10-17-2012, 08:34 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:350
TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

Crawl under the truck and see if there's a pebble or something wedged in between the shift lever (on the trans) and the trans case, or whether something else in that vicinity is jamming or binding things up.

If the lever at the trans looks OK, then check the linkage adjustment. With column shift, pull the lever towards you so you miss all the gates in the column. Then shift it to the center of the Neutral detent. You can feel the detents in the trans. The column (or floor) shifter has no detents at all, but it has gates (that, for example, block you from shifting N to R unless you pull the lever towards you [column shift] or push it over [floor shift]. So you want to get the lever into the center of the Neutral detent in the trans. Then see how it lines up with the N-R gate. Are you already past the N-R gate (halfway into Reverse) at the shifter itself? If so, then the linkage is misadjusted, and that's why it's hard to get into Park. As you start to shift out of Reverse (towards Park), the trans is already in Park (trans lever will not move any further) and therefore you have to deflect the cable / linkage in order to force the lever over into the Park gate.

Another way you could check it: Shift to Reverse (engine not running) and have someone crawl under the truck and watch the lever at the trans. Now, as you slowly move the shift lever into Park, have them see when the trans lever stops moving. If the trans lever stops moving way before you're in Park at the column, linkage is misadjusted.

To adjust the linkage, place the shifter in Park. Under the vehicle, unlock the clip that holds the shifter cable adjustment. This clip is near the end of the cable, on the piece that connects to the lever on the trans. Push the clip from behind to pop it out and unlock the cable adjustment. Then make sure the lever on the trans is in the Park position (furthest rearward detent), and re-engage the locking clip. Done!
Old 10-17-2012, 10:14 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 RAM 1500 4 door
Trim Level: Standard
Color: Hunter Green
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
RAMinDubai is on a distinguished road

It seems linkage could be it then, and is easy to fix if done properly and fairly quickly. I will copy and paste this detailed answer onto a piece of paper and stick it under the nose of my dealer workshop as I am about 14 days away from a service.