DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 8.0 Liter V10

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 8.0 Liter V10 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-27-2010, 10:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Engine: 1994-2001 488ci (8.0L) LA V10 300 hp 450lb/ft
Rep:11
dirty dodge is on a distinguished road
Default New guy with the $400 4x4 v10... now i gotta question

ok so long story short, i traded a guy a ranger that i had 400 bucks into for this ram 98 2500 quad cab long bed 4x4 laramie. i absolutaly love it. it has usual michigan rust and someminor problems but i know i didnt get the shirt end of the stick on that trade... anyways, my question for you is, sometimes when im driving, taking off from a light or whatever, i give her the gas and it barely moves. it spits ant sputters and misses like crazy all the way op to about 3/4 throttle, but as soon as i move it that last quarter on an inch to the floor, it wakes up and slams u back in your seat and takes off.. it has no cats so those arent clogged.. i read the codes and one of the o2 sensors came up.. could this be causing it to do this? it doesnt happen all the time but about 50/50.. today i got curoius and unplugged both o2 sensors and it gets noticeably worse mileage but it seems to have fixed the problem.. my next question is, i tried getting the oxy sensors out and both nuts stripped out, so would it work the same if i welded new bungs in further back in the exhaust and moved the sensors back there? or would that change the readings? thanks in advance guys
Sponsored links
Old 10-27-2010, 10:11 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Welcome to the Z. The computers in these trucks don't like it when the sensors aren't working right. Unplugging them which cleared the problem certainly shows that's where your problem lies. I've heard there are ways to fool the computer into thinking they are there, but I can't remember the way to do it.

As for the stripped out "nuts", do you mean you rounded off the sensor? Normally that's what happens. If that's the case, try soaking them in penetrating oil over night and use vise grips. If that doesn't work, take a torch to the thread area to expand it and then work them back and forth with the vise grips.

If the threads in the pipe are stripped then I suggest boring them smooth and larger then tap them and put in an adapter which fits the new sensor and is the size you need for the new hole on the outside.

I doubt the sensors would work correctly if they are to far out of the exhaust stream.

We have a lot of forums for all kinds of topics, so you shouldn't have any problems finding a place to post questions.

We LOVE pics of Rams.

Here's how to post them: http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 10-27-2010, 10:36 PM

thanks for the quick reply! im going to keep playing with the o2 sensors.. i have been soaking them for a while now and im going to keep going. if that dont work, im breaking out the heat wrenches lol
Old 10-28-2010, 08:43 PM

another question... i bought a new o2 sensor. how do i know which one is bad? the scaan tool said it is number 1 iirc but which one is that? and i bought a new 4x4 vacuum shift motor for my front axle and was wondering hor easy/hard it is to put one in? my old one was rotted to hell...
Old 10-28-2010, 11:58 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 4X4 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport- Off Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1930
wermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant future

Hello and welcome to the site! Got any Pics???
If your looking for some accessories check out our vendor section and may the modding continue
http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53
Old 10-31-2010, 09:22 PM

ill get pics as soon as i can.. played on some hills today and had her flexing pretty good.. was going to take pics but i forgot my phone...doh..
Old 10-31-2010, 10:29 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Definitely try some heat . I would recommend you replace all of them , they are 13 years old . If it's functioning correctly , it could still be lazy .
Old 11-07-2010, 10:54 PM

well got the o2 sensor on.. took a while. it was a pain in the a$$!!! but it helped like500 percent and runs alot better. and here are a couple pics for you guys
Old 10-08-2012, 10:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 97 Dodge ram v10 02 Subaru WRX
Trim Level: SLT L
Color: Black
Rep:10
Evo-killr is on a distinguished road

thats a good looking truck!