DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-19-2012, 04:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Hemi express quad
Trim Level: ST express
Color: Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:195
RAM EM has a spectacular aura aboutRAM EM has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWC88 View Post
Looks good! How many coats is that? You hand buffing it?
Thanks! I did 3 coats of VHT and 4coats of clear. Yes, they are being hand-buffed.
Quote:
What is best/proper way of doing VHT? I'm looking at doing it to my tails because I'm buying another pair anyway. I've done it on my car before the truck, I remember that I cleared it and wet sanded it but didn't buff or polish, and it still looked a flat color. I later removed it because I got a little crazy with the coatings and had it so dark I had almost every driver at night tell me they didn't know I was braking as well as a cop. But with my truck I want to do it completely proper.
Everyone has their own little way of doing it with very similar results. This is what I did:
Wet sanded (using water and dish soap) the covers w/ 2000 grit,then wiped down thoroughly w/ alchohol, sprayed 1 light coat of VHT, then 2 additional light coats, waiting 10 min. between coats. Let covers dry for 24 hrs., then wet sanded again using same method, wiped down w/ alcohol, sprayed 4 coats of clear using same method as VHT. Let dry for 24 hrs., then I LIGHTLY wet sanded again, starting with 2000 grit, followed by 2500 grit. Then I buffed out starting w/ Meguiar's rubbing compound, followed by polishing compound (tip on compounds, don't buff until they start to dry), and wiped off compound residue with clean microfiber towel. Finally, I spritzed them with h2o in spray bottle, and buffed them w/ a white cotton t-shirt. Came out looking like glass! (3rd did, still working on tails actually). Some people skip the sanding of the basecoat, and don't give the covers a full 24 to dry. It looks okay, but I think it's worth the extra effort and patience to have them come out perfect! Just make sure your work area is clean and free of dust/dirt/bugs, and take your time! Let me know if you have any more questions, good luck!

-DS Trinity- Hemifever tuned - 18" Magnaflow - BT catch can - 180 Tstat - 22" SRT10's - 305/45 Nitto 420 - SG 2/4 drop - blacked out heads/tinted tails - dechromed/debadged - 20% tint-
Sponsored links
Old 10-20-2012, 01:39 AM

Vehicle: 2012 RCSB Express
Rep:97
mikennrg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
What is best/proper way of doing VHT? I'm looking at doing it to my tails because I'm buying another pair anyway. I've done it on my car before the truck, I remember that I cleared it and wet sanded it but didn't buff or polish, and it still looked a flat color. I later removed it because I got a little crazy with the coatings and had it so dark I had almost every driver at night tell me they didn't know I was braking as well as a cop. But with my truck I want to do it completely proper.
The proper way of using VHT is to only use it on an offroad only vehicle. It even says on the can.

"VHT Nite-Shades™ is a transparent black tail light lens coating for creating a custom European styling. When applied to tail lights, fog lights or turn indicators, VHT Nite-Shades™ appears black until they are lit, then the natural red color appears. Warning: Once applied to a plastic lens, VHT Nite-Shades™ cannot be satisfactorily removed. For off-road use only."

It says that to cover their ass if you get in an accident due to illegal tail lights.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:00 AM

Uh-oh, the tail light police just showed up!

-DS Trinity- Hemifever tuned - 18" Magnaflow - BT catch can - 180 Tstat - 22" SRT10's - 305/45 Nitto 420 - SG 2/4 drop - blacked out heads/tinted tails - dechromed/debadged - 20% tint-
Old 10-20-2012, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikennrg View Post
The proper way of using VHT is to only use it on an offroad only vehicle. It even says on the can.

"VHT Nite-Shades™ is a transparent black tail light lens coating for creating a custom European styling. When applied to tail lights, fog lights or turn indicators, VHT Nite-Shades™ appears black until they are lit, then the natural red color appears. Warning: Once applied to a plastic lens, VHT Nite-Shades™ cannot be satisfactorily removed. For off-road use only."

It says that to cover their ass if you get in an accident due to illegal tail lights.
Let me guess, you follow EVERY traffic law, including not exceeding the posted speed limits. Doubtful. I find it ironic that if I tint my tail lights, I'm breaking the law, but most idiots drive around blabbing on their phones the entire time their in their vehicle (which I NEVER do) and run into people/random objects/small children, along with running red lights, ignoring traffic signals, etc,etc. Sigh, where has common sense gone these days?...

Old 10-20-2012, 12:49 PM

Vehicle: 2012 RCSB Express
Rep:97
mikennrg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM EM View Post
Let me guess, you follow EVERY traffic law, including not exceeding the posted speed limits. Doubtful. I find it ironic that if I tint my tail lights, I'm breaking the law, but most idiots drive around blabbing on their phones the entire time their in their vehicle (which I NEVER do) and run into people/random objects/small children, along with running red lights, ignoring traffic signals, etc,etc. Sigh, where has common sense gone these days?...
You won't find one driver that obeys every single traffic law. A single mental hiccup can results in breaking lesser known laws. One of the simplest ways of keeping yourself out of accidents is making sure you're being seen. These hinder that instead of helping.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:13 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Red
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:139
SnoylCC5 will become famous soon enoughSnoylCC5 will become famous soon enough

RAM EM- your lights are looking good. and if your worried about people being able to tell whether or not your braking, buy a tailgate light bar. they come in handy and are perfect for this exact situation.

mikennrg- even though it says off-road use only, it still changes the way the vehicle looks in a good way, IMO. and is worth doing to your truck to change the look up a bit, providing you dont go too dark bc you are right, it is unsafe, but only if done too dark.

Mods: Debadged, plasti-dip all chrome, 2.5" leveling kit, 10000k HID's, Superchips Flashpaq 3865, red interior LED's
Soon to come: 6" suspension lift, 35" or 37" tires, New rims (undecided), 5% tint all around, LED tailgate bar
Old 10-20-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikennrg View Post
You won't find one driver that obeys every single traffic law. A single mental hiccup can results in breaking lesser known laws. One of the simplest ways of keeping yourself out of accidents is making sure you're being seen. These hinder that instead of helping.
Okay, I've been warned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoylCC5 View Post
RAM EM- your lights are looking good. and if your worried about people being able to tell whether or not your braking, buy a tailgate light bar. they come in handy and are perfect for this exact situation.

mikennrg- even though it says off-road use only, it still changes the way the vehicle looks in a good way, IMO. and is worth doing to your truck to change the look up a bit, providing you dont go too dark bc you are right, it is unsafe, but only if done too dark.
I am probably going to add the tailgate light bar just as an added precaution, as well as LED's in the tails. Thanks.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:54 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Silver
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:25
EWC88 is on a distinguished road

Man did I cause a conflict? Lol

Question though, I am looking at putting the VHT on all the red parts and keeping the reverse clear, like you did with your third brake light I believe? But I'll do it to tails as well. So if I go that route I'll still sand the reverse area and clear that too? Or no since it's not being touched?

Also you think I should do that with the clear lense for the reverse and third brake like not be VHT with a silver truck? I did that on my old car after modded the taillights to get amber lense out so it was clear and I thought it looked slick.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Man did I cause a conflict? Lol

Question though, I am looking at putting the VHT on all the red parts and keeping the reverse clear, like you did with your third brake light I believe? But I'll do it to tails as well. So if I go that route I'll still sand the reverse area and clear that too? Or no since it's not being touched?

Also you think I should do that with the clear lense for the reverse and third brake like not be VHT with a silver truck? I did that on my old car after modded the taillights to get amber lense out so it was clear and I thought it looked slick.
No prob. Seems like he shows up anytime a "tinted tails" topic is discussed. To keep the clear part clear, I sanded down the entire assembly, then masked off the clear area during the VHT process (using a flashlight to backlight thru the lens helped me see to trim out the lines). Then I carefully removed the tape before VHT was completely dry, and after 24 hr. dry time, proceeded with the clear process. It's up to you if you want to keep the the backup and the cargo lights clear. I chose to tint the entire brake light for aesthetic reasons (I think it looks better all black), and I also realized that utilizing the cargo lights (if need be) when backing up helps quite a bit, so I sacrificed a little output from the backups. Probably going to get brighter LED's for both locations, though. Good luck!

Old 10-20-2012, 10:02 PM

Default Final product!

Here's the end result! Pics don't really do justice, they turned out really well! Just a small amount of red shows thru in direct sunlight. Light transmission from bulbs is still very good, even in daytime!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1350768602915.jpg (25.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-10-20 17.34.50.jpg (96.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 1350768671284.jpg (18.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 1350768874331.jpg (19.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-10-20 17.35.46.jpg (100.5 KB, 1 views)