DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 4th Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-20-2012, 07:37 AM
BULLYS PERFORMANCE

Vehicle: MOPAR
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:931
Bully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to behold
Default adding a second fuse panel to 2012 ram 1500 please help

heres my thoughts, i am going to be adding 4-6 off road lights, halos, new fogs, led's inside and out, heated seats front and rear, plumbing rear controlled heat and cooling, new gauges and on and on and on, so instead of having a wiring nightmare by my battery i am going to install one of these http://painlessperformance.shptron.c...er=50101/302.0
or this
http://www.painlesswiring.com/webcat...rchField=30003

i am wondering is there a better solution somewhere and what size fused wire should i run from the battery, i am going to mount this thing under the dash somewhere for easy access.

once everything is ordered and i get home to work on it i will post a how to with many pics.

ALSO Feel free to PM us, OR post in our Vendor Section for quotes/questions/assistance!
Sponsored links
Old 10-20-2012, 09:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

That looks like a lot of overkill for a few off-road lights. First of all, how do you plan to control them? One switch to control all of them, switches for each pair, or something else? What are the wattages of the lights involved? This will be used to determine the gauge of the wire and fuse protection.

Personally, I would hand build something like this using the correct size wiring and fuses. You'll have a clean, good looking panel and the satisfaction of doing it yourself. http://www.autowiringsolutions.com/item.php?item_id=376
Old 10-20-2012, 10:26 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3236
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

The two options you show are full car fuse panels, which, like randy says are complete overkill. From what it sounds like, you could just get one of the 8 circuit fuse clusters that painless wiring makes. I picked up one of them myself for the exact same reason as you, everything that was on my battery looked like a complete abortion gone wrong. The ones you picked have flashers and all sorts of extras, but the 8 circuit clusters are just 20amp fuses with options of ignition hot or constant hot. I'd post looks or photos, but I'm on my phone
Old 10-20-2012, 11:02 AM
BULLYS PERFORMANCE

Bully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to behold

I'm gonna run them in pairs, so 3 for the lights controlled by switches, my quad hi beams will be on a switch also so all 4 plus fogs can be lit up at the same time should I wish. I'm putting heated seat in front and back so 4 there, then led halos, leds behind the mesh grill, leds under dash, and front and back seats so 6 there, then I'm doing a bumper light also, and trying to figure out how to run integrated mirror blinkers, and 4 door poppers, not all this stuff is installed yet but will be soon. How many fuses am I going to need I have no idea but I guess in could always add 2 8 clusters sounds like those can be canceled better what would you all do if running that much stuff?

ALSO Feel free to PM us, OR post in our Vendor Section for quotes/questions/assistance!
Old 10-20-2012, 11:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

With the addition of all that other stuff, the Painless block may be the best choice, but I would still use a relay panel for the higher wattage items like the lights and heated seats. First and foremost, you need to calculate the power requirements and move forward from there. You can determine amperage by using the formula Amps=Wattage/System Volts. From here you can break down your components into circuit branches and fuse them accordingly (within the current carrying capacity of the wiring, of course).
Old 10-20-2012, 12:14 PM
BULLYS PERFORMANCE

The block that I had found or the 8 way? Then I know the door poppers all need there own so that's 4 the lights will be 4, the leds probably 3, then the heated seats I'm not sure of should I run them all on there own or break them up into pairs, I will find out the wattage on everything this weekend and report back