DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-01-2012, 11:55 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastNugly View Post
Grubrunner, that new front end with the horizontal chrome slats look AMAZING!
As do those lights behind the grill

That is something I definitely need as well
Thanks FNU.

I think so too. I hated the honeycomb from the day I pruchased the truck.

I highly recommend it. Makes night driving on those back/deserted roads a HUGE improvement!

Grub out!
Sponsored links
Old 11-01-2012, 12:00 PM

Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

.....oh and one last thing; that metal bumper strip that you're mounting the lights on is REALLY solid and relatively thick so make sure you either have a new or sharp drill bit.

I found out the hard way by doing an unscheduled trip to Lowe's.

Grub out!
Old 11-01-2012, 12:15 PM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: '15 Ram 1500 Longhorn EcoD
Trim Level: CC, 6'4", 3.92, LSD
Color: Granite Crystal
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:1787
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubrunner View Post
No.

Just a fairly straight-forward drill job.

However, measure correctly as, if you look carefully at the pics with the honeycomb grille, you'll see they're not centred and I had to redo it.
Until you mentioned they were not centered, I did not notice that.
Now I do.....
What were you measurements to get them centered?
100% Guaranteed to work or we will replace it for free!
Old 11-01-2012, 12:23 PM

I measured them from the very outer lip in.

I actually mounted the light's brakets, held them in place with about 1/2" gap from the outer edges, and drilled my holes there. After I put everything back together, stood back, I noticed that they were not centred.

you'll notice from the pics I posted that on one side is the radiator reservoir and the windshield fill on the other. It didn't occur to me at the time but they are CLEARLY different in size. In the pictures I posted above, if you draw an imaginary line dead straight down from the hood latch [which is centered] you'll see that even without the grille installed, they [lights] are not dead centred. This completely escaped me during install.

I ended up having to re-drill the passenger side light and bring it in [towards the center] about 1&3/4"

I touch painted the original hole I drilled [rust purposes] and installed a grommet.

Grub out!
Old 11-01-2012, 12:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 SLT
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:40
Emorris69 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegler00 View Post
im not too savvy on lighting and electrical....how hard is this to wire and run the relay and switch? whats the process?
Just to give you a frame of reference I was able to add 3 extra lights like this to a buddies older truck. Using a 20amp inline fuse, my cordless drill, battery powered soldering iron, heat shrink, a lighter, electrical tape, zip ties, 10 gage wire and the lights a switch all in 50 minutes today at lunch. The hardest thing with the new trucks is getting your control wire through the fire wall. The truck I did today was a 1989 and had a few wholes to use. Now I only have one hand at the moment do to injury so it wasn't as easy as normal.

The first thing I always do is disconnect the battery and pick a place to tap into the wiring. For a new truck I would personally do it somewhere that you wont need to worry about leaving them on and killing the battery. i.e. somewhere that only has power when the truck is on. Next step simple inline splice for the start of the line then the fuse. From there you need to run a wire threw to the cab for the switch then mount the switch then bring the other lead from the switch back to where you want to put the lights. Then mount your lights and connect the wires to them in series. Next you'll need to tap the end of the wire into a negative on the truck. Finish every solder with heat shrink then electrical tape for safety and the use wire ties to make everything pretty so it looks clean and untouched at a glance.

In all honestly if you don’t rush its easy and can look clean and nice.

Good luck,
Old 11-01-2012, 10:48 PM

Vehicle: 2012 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: express
Color: true blue
Rep:33
goose85427 is on a distinguished road

@grubrunner can you post a pic of where you put the switch in the cab?
Old 11-01-2012, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose85427 View Post
Sure.

I'll snap one either tomorrow or if not, this weekend for certain.

Grub out!
Old 11-01-2012, 10:57 PM

Vehicle: 2012 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: express
Color: true blue
Rep:33
goose85427 is on a distinguished road

sweet thanks man. i have some ideas but not sure i like them lol
Old 11-02-2012, 12:33 AM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: '15 Ram 1500 Longhorn EcoD
Trim Level: CC, 6'4", 3.92, LSD
Color: Granite Crystal
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:1787
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose85427 View Post
I'd like to see this as well
100% Guaranteed to work or we will replace it for free!
Old 11-02-2012, 08:51 PM

It's nothing special..... yet!

The first pic is where the switch is ATM just by my right knee. But it's about to change soon.

I have a good friend who does high-end custom car audio. He had an idea a few weeks back when he was in my truck. He suggested that I purchase an OEM switch [ANY of the switches in the second picture on the center dash will do], he would sand back whatever image was on it, screen-print the OEM fog light picture [on the light dial] onto it, and mount it in the slot I'm pointing at in the 2ND picture. He would wire it up so it successfully operates my PIAA lights behind the grill...... and look OEM.

I said "Hell to the YES!" He's not 100-percent certain it'll work, but he's quitely confident. Well see.....

I purchased the OEM Steering Wheel Heated switch [that's what my dealership had in stock and I was REAL lucky because after purchasing it, not clicking to me at the time, I realized it would illuminate upon activation] and dropped it by to his residence this past Tuesday. He said he should have it ready in a week or so and to drop by. I'll drop by around mid-November and see him. Where I'm pointing in the picture is where I'll probably put it..... or up next to the 240V switch up above.

I purchased a replacement panel for where the PIAA switch is mounted ATM to pop in once I remove the switch and discard it. Yes, that IS a fine scratch you see by the switch's RHS that's bugged me from the time I installed it..... no idea to this day how it happened.

I'll post pictures upon completed installation.

Grub out!