DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-20-2012, 10:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram
Rep:169
ArcticWhite has a spectacular aura aboutArcticWhite has a spectacular aura about
Default 2012 - How can I keep up to an EcoBoost?

Firstly, I just wanted to say I love my 2012 Ram and would have bought it no matter what the performance of the 5.7L hemi is vs. other trucks. I think it is the sportiest looking truck out there, sounds amazing, and has a great ride.

So, my friend purchased a crew cab 4x4 F150 ecoboost (has about 10,000 miles on it now as he purchased it a few months before me). I just purchased a new 2012 Ram Sport 4x4 crew (has about 2500 miles on it now). His truck is bone stock, my truck has the 18" magnaflow and the factory 3.92 gears.

We lined up this past weekend. Every time, off the line, I pulled him pretty good, until the truck shifted and dropped RPM's. He spins like crazy, so that may be one of the reasons I pull him off the line. Even with my traction control turned off, my truck will not spin the tires off the line. With 3.92 gears and 400hp, that is rediculous! It should light up the tires.

The big problem is, as soon as the truck shifts (and a lot of the gears are spaced way too wide), the rpm's drop and the truck is out of its power band. When that happens, the ecoboost pulls gangbusters on the hemi, as the ecoboost still makes mega torque, even in lower rpms after the shift. As my truck hits about 5000rpm, it pulls about evenly with the ecoboost, until I shift again, where the ecoboost then pulls away again. From a dead stop, I am ahead until about 40mph, then the ecoboost pulls me. By 100mph, the ecoboost is many truck lengths ahead.

Has this been everyone's experience?
Has anyone been able to get their hemi with 3.92 gears to spin off the line?
Is there anything I can do to my truck to at least make it keep up to an ecoboost (without going too crazy on the mods)?

I got the 3.92 gears to be able to tow and thought that it would help keep up to the ecoboost, but that sure does not seem to be the case! I am also very unimpressed with the transmission (gear spacing too large, poor up and down shifting) and really wish I would have waited for the 8 speed.

Thanks!
Sponsored links
Old 10-20-2012, 10:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:47
GhostR1der is on a distinguished road

Are you shifting yourself? I would get a Vararam intake that might help a little. A tuner is on the horizon to be released and that should open it up quite nicely. Tell him you want to race across country lol. He'll surely blow it up before he reaches the finish. Haha

Now if they made a single cab ecobost that would be a truck to get. Now if he goes and gets that ecoboost tuned might as well give it up tryin to keep up with him. They are getting 80 HP with a tune and nothing else!
Old 10-20-2012, 11:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram
Rep:169
ArcticWhite has a spectacular aura aboutArcticWhite has a spectacular aura about

Just leaving it in Drive and stomping on it. Yes, a vararam is on the list, but the different was so large, I doubt a CAI is enough to make up that difference.

And yes, no plans to try and keep up to a tuned ecoboost. Can't get 80hp that cheaply on a NA engine. Just want to be able to keep up to stock trucks.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:18 PM

Well try and start with the trans in 2nd gear and stomp on it. Let it shift to second by itself and then shift into 3rd at 5000-5500 and that will help some as well.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:21 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express 4x4
Trim Level: Express 4x4
Rep:39
goodcracker is on a distinguished road

I'll be honest, I have'nt lost yet. I've raced ford and chevy and beat them both by a good bit. I love how fast mine is but I cant say every truck will be the same.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 dodge ram
Trim Level: express
Color: cherry red
Rep:20
redramsrule is on a distinguished road

my ram is a reg cab,3;92 gears,and have run a ford eco boost. stayed a truck ahead up to 100 then i let up. isnt 4 wheel drive,and ford was crew cab,
Old 10-21-2012, 01:43 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

If you are not shifting the gears manually, he is in for a surprise when you do

i don't drag race any more, but i always hand shifted, using any kind of transmission
that way RPM drop is kept at a minimum

Find a road out in the boondocks & try it for yourself, when the ford guy isn't there
try it in both modes, normal & tow/haul
then try making some runs with the traction control on & off

experiment a bit, then go play with him

here is a 2011 on the dyno, listen to the shifts

Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 10-21-2012 at 02:04 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:53 AM

^^^ that is experience talking right there. Listen to him he has a ton of miles behind the 4th gen ram.

I have to say I like the 2nd the 3rd shift when shifting manually. It pulls hard and is a noticeable jump.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:37 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Sport
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:111
TheBlackHemi will become famous soon enoughTheBlackHemi will become famous soon enough

Shift in manual and hold the shifter all the way to the left and you will some what powershift all the way thru 1,2,2ndprime, and then 3rd. Which on leaves you really one time to shift at 55-5600 rpm into 4th....which will drop you back down to 4k something rpms.

Also btw if you wanna burn thoses tires up get an aftermarket torque converter (circle d or edge are the most popular) but here's a vid to give you an idea of how to shift in manual. Using 2nd prime isn't always good but using it every once and a while isn't gonna hurt your tranny.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:31 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Satin Orange
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:597
TheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to all

You also want to avoid spinning.