DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, & Solutions - Maintenance & Repair > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 4th Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
FGT Motorsport
Bayou Goat Mounts
Mopar Online Parts!

Old 10-21-2012, 03:07 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: True Blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
666 is on a distinguished road
Default uconnect usb issue

I had the RES radio in the truck when i bought it. I only used the usb in my glovebox a few times that it actually worked. I recently added the RBZ radio. i have tried using the usb again and now it never works. The light around the usb flashes on and off and never stays solid. When i connect wither my iphone or my ipod all it does it says "initializing". it will either say "device no longer available" or it will just stop trying. I have tried using a diff usb cable to the uconnect module thinking the cable may have had an issue. No luck so far. Sometimes it will try initializing for a couple min and sometimes less but it will never actually play anything. Everything else works awesome on the Uconnect, the bluetooth phone works and the bluetooth streaming works(sounds like shit but works). I got an update for the uconnect on a mem stick from a buddy who works at dodge. When we tried to start the update it just says "insert mass media device with update file".im starting to think its something with the usb part on the module. i only ever got it to work a couple times when i had the res radio. Also when the phone is plugged it it does not start charging or anything. Anyone have any suggestions?
Sponsored links
Old 10-21-2012, 03:52 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500/2016 Ram
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl/Delmonico Red pearl
Rep:2705
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I myself can't help you much

There is a member that works with cell phones & knows a lot about the RBZ & other Chrysler MYGIG radios

Anyone that can help you, will want to know what make & model your phone/communication devices are & what software is currently on your device

Watch for XSDBS to answer up
If he does not see this post, go to the SEARCH function above, type in XSDBS & click Posts, your answer is likely in there some where, he posts often
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) , 3.55 differential, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau, Line_X, DEBO Step, Mag-Hytec

2016 Ram 3.0 diesel undergoing Mods G2 tonneau, Line-X, Weathertech mats, Mag-Hytec differential cover
Old 10-22-2012, 09:29 AM

Vehicle: green flying carpet
Trim Level: upper and lower
Rep:73
xsdbs will become famous soon enough

Good morning GTyankee, Let's see if we can help this person out.

It looks like you have a 2011 vehicle, correct. Do you know the build date for it?

1) You said that the USB light flashes. Does this happen without any devices pluggen in or only when a device is plugged in?
2) Can you drop the glvebox down toward the floor, look inside the opening toward the right side of the dash structure. You'll see a black module about 4"x6", can you get a picture of the module and post it.
3) You mentioned trying a different cable, was this the cable that goes directly to the module?(It sounds like it was)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
I myself can't help you much

There is a member that works with cell phones & knows a lot about the RBZ & other Chrysler MYGIG radios

Anyone that can help you, will want to know what make & model your phone/communication devices are & what software is currently on your device

Watch for XSDBS to answer up
If he does not see this post, go to the SEARCH function above, type in XSDBS & click Posts, your answer is likely in there some where, he posts often
Old 10-22-2012, 07:56 PM

i have no idea how to post a pic on here.
production date on the module is 2011/03/31/0
HW: 14.00 SW 63.01.23
The RBZ deck i installed was from a 2012 ram.
Ya the light on the usb will flash when nothing is plugged into it.
I tried a couple diff mini usb to usb cables with a female to female on the other end. same result just sits there saying initializing and then nothing.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:29 PM

Ok, no problem. I'd say that by the steps that you have tried, you have a defective module or connector. I did help another person last year on another forum that had a similar issue. When the dash assembly was put together the line worker jammed the connector on which damaged the module connector solder connections. (the module showed witness marks of force).
Your buddy at the dealer can get you a replacement part, the replacement should also have the most current SW version in it.

****as for adding a picture to your post in the future, it's easy. When you are making a posting, before you're done,scroll down to the "Additional Options" box, click on the "manage attachments" box, Then you'll be able to browse your computer's pictures file, click on the picture that you want to add to your posting, you'll see the picture location in the white box next to the "browse"tab. Now click on "upload". You'll see a message that the picture has been uploaded, now you can close the window. Now when you submit your reply, the picture will be in the posting.****

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
i have no idea how to post a pic on here.
production date on the module is 2011/03/31/0
HW: 14.00 SW 63.01.23
The RBZ deck i installed was from a 2012 ram.
Ya the light on the usb will flash when nothing is plugged into it.
I tried a couple diff mini usb to usb cables with a female to female on the other end. same result just sits there saying initializing and then nothing.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:52 PM

I took the actual module apart and could not see any broken solder points. It's weird because the Bluetooth for the phone works awesome. Must just be something weird in that part of the module.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:30 PM

could be a defective USB chip set then. Not at a common issue.

Quote:
I took the actual module apart and could not see any broken solder points. It's weird because the Bluetooth for the phone works awesome. Must just be something weird in that part of the module.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:31 AM

so pretty much i have to get my hands on a new connect module?
Old 10-29-2012, 10:46 AM

Correct. Isn't your truck still under warranty? If so then your buddy should be able to replace it. If not then I cann see if I could help you furhter.

Quote:
so pretty much i have to get my hands on a new connect module?
Old 10-30-2012, 12:15 AM

i would hope its still under warranty its only 1 yr old lol. I just dont have the time to deal with bringing my truck in all the time. If there is a way to fix this module i would rather do it that way