DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-01-2012, 12:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:636
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

op i live in the salt belt, north jersey. here is the best answer you will get, some rust and some don't. some guys like me will go through the car wash, for the under car wash, every week and after every storm to try get all the salt off as soon as possible, and still get rust. some guys just wash their windshield once every 5 years and never get rust. as for the 4th gens, i think they are still to new to know how they will hold up.
Sponsored links
Old 11-11-2012, 10:08 AM

Vehicle: '14 Ram1500 BigHornEcodiesel
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: White
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:16
DieselD is on a distinguished road

Well I could wait a year or two. Truth is I'm no time pressed and am in the midst of buying a new home so the auto comes 2nd

If the diesel comes in the 1500, with that torqueflight8 trans and cool suspension, that could be amazing.

As far as the tougher ride in the 2/3500, lemme ask this. Currently drive a Honda pilot and Nissan Altima. Compared to my old Buick regal, their ride SUCKS.
Wondering if in terms of ride feel, from most to least comfort,
Hope it goes 1500> 2/3500 > Jap imports...

I hate feeling every crack in the pavement!!!!

Hoping and thinking that a home run would be the diesel 1500 w/ Full coil suspension and 8 Spd manual.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:34 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Cummins 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: Red
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L HO) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 245hp 505lb/ft (6-Speed Manual)
Rep:326
the persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the rough

If you are hoping for a ride that is as smooth as an Altima or Pilot, you'll want the 1500.

2500 rides aren't harsh, just stiff. I am used to trucks and actually hate driving cars. I will say that one of the best truck rides I have experienced was in a 2010 Ram crew cab dually.

The worst rides I have experienced were in 2500 Duramaxes. One being my parent's old 04 2wd CCSB and the other being some old friend's 05 CCSB 4x4 on 35's with the torsion bars cranked. They both would hurt your back.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:45 PM

Several people above have commented that I shouldn't hold any hope that the 1500 will get a diesel anytime soon. I guess I am hopeful since it was the car sales rep that told me it should be in this coming year. I guess what I'm saying is why would he tell me about what should be coming this year when he could immediately sell me 2500 right then and there, you know?

In the 2500 pamphlet I also was reading about exhaust braking. How exactly does that work? I mean I think I understand engine braking, and in my mind that means shifting to a lower gear to slow down the car. But how and what exactly is engine braking?
Old 11-20-2012, 04:12 AM

Vehicle: 2007 RAM
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:64
NWRQC will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselD View Post
Several people above have commented that I shouldn't hold any hope that the 1500 will get a diesel anytime soon. I guess I am hopeful since it was the car sales rep that told me it should be in this coming year. I guess what I'm saying is why would he tell me about what should be coming this year when he could immediately sell me 2500 right then and there, you know?

In the 2500 pamphlet I also was reading about exhaust braking. How exactly does that work? I mean I think I understand engine braking, and in my mind that means shifting to a lower gear to slow down the car. But how and what exactly is engine braking?
Restricting the exhaust flow to slow the vehicle. It's done either by electronic valve or in the case of the VGT turbo that dodge uses it changes the geometry of the vanes on the exhaust side of the turbo, thus creating a braking affect.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:18 PM

THanks for the exhaust braking explanation.

One other thought: Most here advocate having a manual transmission. Why not automatic? Just curious. Like Dodgeman, I am buying more out of want than need and wont do a LOT of towing.

But, why do most here advocate maunal over automatic? Is either one long lasting? Rides better.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:09 PM

One other thought: Most here advocate having a manual transmission. Why not automatic? Just curious. Like Dodgeman, I am buying more out of want than need and wont do a LOT of towing.

But, why do most here advocate maunal over automatic? Is either one long lasting? Rides better.

Also, why cant they just drop the Cummins into the 1500 frame?
Old 11-27-2012, 05:47 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Quad Cab diesel
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:221
dodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura about

Most of the problems with a automatic is when people start adding power, they burn up their tranny. With a stick, people can upgrade the clutch to make it handle the extra power. I can't say I'd recomend a stick or an auto, get what you want.

The Cummins could be dropped in a half ton, I've seen it done. The problem is the weight and the power. The rear end, front end, transfer case, brakes, transmission just won't stand up to it.

On engine braking. A diesel isn't throttled like a gas engine. On a gas engine you have a throttle body, when its shut, and you down shift, the engine is trying to suck air past the shut throttle blade and you get engine braking.

A diesel has no throttle blade, its open to the air, it pulls in all the air it wants. The only restriction is the air filter housing and the tubes to the turbo intake side. The power on a diesel is controlled by how much fuel is injected. So if you try to engine brake, you don't have the restriction of a throttle trying to pull air to slow you down. This is the purpose of the exhaust brake. Jacobs Engineering has been building exhaust brakes for big rigs for years, hence the term Jake Brake. I don't really know how they work, but you can add them to a diesel if it doesn't have one on it.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:22 AM
Conventional Eccentric

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:220
highlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge man View Post
Jacobs Engineering has been building exhaust brakes for big rigs for years, hence the term Jake Brake. I don't really know how they work, but you can add them to a diesel if it doesn't have one on it.
Jacobs Engineering may make exhaust brakes but the "Jake Brake" they are famous for is not the same. Technically they work in opposite ways.

An exhaust brake works by blocking the the flow of exhaust gasses. This traps air in the cylinders and which the cylinder must push against slowing the engine and truck.

A Jake Brake works by creating a vacuum. The exaust valve is opened early which empties the cylinder of air. When the valve closes it creates a vacuum that the cylinder must then pull against.

Disclaimer: I'm getting old and my opinions will reflect that fact!
Old 02-14-2013, 11:21 PM

So now I have the option of getting the ram 1500 VM diesel new vs a
Used 2500!!!

Leaning toward the 1500 w/ the 3.0 diesel and 8 spd trans... The mileage will be huge when not towing!