DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-22-2012, 01:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport/Big Horn
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
blowmoldboy is on a distinguished road
Default 2003 vs 2009

Just traded in my 2003 Dodge Ram 4x4 Off Road for a 2009 Dodge Ram Sport/Big Horn. My 03 was a very mechanically sound vehicle, which i put over 225k miles on with no problems what so ever. The body on the other hand wasn't so good to me. Typical rusting problems with the box is what finally drove me to get a new ride. That said, are there any know issues with the 2009's? My one fear is the MDS on the 5.7 liter (and of course the potential for rust).

All feedback is greatly appriciated.
Sponsored links
Old 10-22-2012, 02:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2003 dodge ram 1500 reg cab
Trim Level: SLT Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:155
99gp has a spectacular aura about99gp has a spectacular aura about

if you are afraid of the mds, get a superchips. That will disable that. I know a lot of guys are doing that
Old 10-22-2012, 03:02 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:47
shears is on a distinguished road

I have not had any issues mechanically with mine yet. IMO it is a solid truck. Rust is always a worry if you live on the east coast where they salt everything. Just protect your paint with wax. Get spary-in bed liner (helps prevent rust in the bed.
6" BDS Lift, 35x12.50x18 Nitto Trail Grapplers, 18x9 XD Addicts, FlowMaster Super 10, S&B Cold Air Intake, Solar Gard 20% window tint, WeatherTech DigitalFit floor mats, Debadged, Plasti-Dipped Grill and rear ram head emblem, Tow hooks
Taking Donations for more mods...
Old 10-22-2012, 05:49 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: SLT Lonestar Edition
Color: Flame Red
Rep:257
HemiLonestar is a jewel in the roughHemiLonestar is a jewel in the roughHemiLonestar is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to HemiLonestar Send a message via MSN to HemiLonestar Send a message via Yahoo to HemiLonestar

Get a Diablo and custom tune yours.

"Big Red"
2003 Ram 1500 QC Hemi Lonestar Edition (Mods list in profile)
2006 Charger R/T
Sarcasm - it beats killing people
Old 10-22-2012, 07:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Sport
Color: Maximum Steel Metallic
Rep:910
primo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to behold

Rust prevention = Krown (rustcheck in USA i believe), but id make the roadtrip to Canada for the Krown. i had a 99 Ram with a littel rust when i bought it in 2002 under the drivers door..stopped it dead in its tracks. my friend owns the truck now and the rust never got any worse...

I honestly thought my 99 was a better built/heavy guage metal truck than my 2010, but i do feel with the proper maintenenace it should be around a while. try running synthetic oil (or semi sythetic) if the engine wear wories you. It was the tranny that did in my 96.
2014 Dodge Ram 4X4 Sport, BakFlip F1 cover, Weathertech DigiFit Liners, BedRug bed mat, PIAA Extreme White Fog Bulbs, ProComp 2.5" / 1.5" Nitro Level Lift, Zone Off Road Upper Control Arms, ProComp 5050 20" -12 offset, MT Deagan 38 35x12.5.20, iron Cross Step Bars, DeeZee Tail Gate Strut

I am the heir to the primo spaghetti sauce fortune!
Old 10-22-2012, 08:25 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT Laramie Quad Cab
Color: Black
Rep:10
Crispy is on a distinguished road

Get under the truck and do some preventative maintenance. From what ive noticed with newer trucks the under carriage develops surface rust a lot sooner than most people like to admit. Clean out the bed corners, bottoms of the fenders, and any crevices that accumulate dirt and water, you should be fine for a long time if you keep her clean.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:24 AM

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

I think one of the keys to slowing down rust is to keep the truck clean, and get the salt off as soon as possible, and fixing any rock chips, etc quickly. Undercoating is also a good thing.

I now live in the south, so rust isn't so much of a problem, but it was an on going issue when I lived in The Great Arctic North.

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 10-23-2012, 05:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Sport
Color: Maximum Steel Metallic
Rep:910
primo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to behold

Good points Exco...

are you near the water in the south?? i heard that the salt in the air could be just as bad as the salt on the roads??
2014 Dodge Ram 4X4 Sport, BakFlip F1 cover, Weathertech DigiFit Liners, BedRug bed mat, PIAA Extreme White Fog Bulbs, ProComp 2.5" / 1.5" Nitro Level Lift, Zone Off Road Upper Control Arms, ProComp 5050 20" -12 offset, MT Deagan 38 35x12.5.20, iron Cross Step Bars, DeeZee Tail Gate Strut

I am the heir to the primo spaghetti sauce fortune!