DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Knowledge Base

Notices

Dodge Ram Knowledge Base Here you can find owner submitted how-to's for performing various mods to your Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-26-2012, 12:40 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2003 dodge ram 1500 reg cab
Trim Level: SLT Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:155
99gp has a spectacular aura about99gp has a spectacular aura about
Default Changing shocks on Torsion Bar vehicles

I just changed my shocks today and Thought I would give a how to on it. I tried to snap some pictures, but that can be hard to do at times...
Fronts
1) I went and cracked the lug nuts on the front tires so I could remove tire once in air
2) Lifted truck in the front, and put jack stands on both sides. I also block my rear tires just for safety
3) remove tire to make easier to get at bolts
4) Support control arm at current level
5) My shocks came with new hardware for front shocks (i think all will but make sure before you do this step). I took a reciprocating saw
and went just below the top plate and cut the bolt like this.

6) There is a bottom bolt also to get out and you DO NOT want to cut this bolt. I sprayed it with PB blaster and it came out fairly easy. Once this bolt is out your shock will fall so be careful.

7) You are now ready to install the new shock. Here is a picture with the new and old shock side by side
Notice the white strap on the new shock. You want to keep that on at this time.
8) take your new shock and new hardware and put a washer in then a rubber spacer. Once this is done slide the shock into the bolt hole and put another rubber spacer and washer. Then the nut goes on. Should look like this

. I just put the nut on a few turns to hold it.
9) I cut the white plastic strap. When I do this I direct the shock towards the bolt hole. It will go down slowly so I take the bolt and slide it in as it go by the mount
10) tighten the bottom bolt (can't recall size, sorry)
11)tighten the top bolt by using a 19mm open end wrench and a 19 mm socket like this . The 19mm open end wrench will hold the shock so it doesn't spin when you tighten the nut down. You want to smush/expand the rubber spacers

You are now done with one side, just repeat this process on the other front side.
Once the other side is done, and tires put back on snug the lug nuts while still in the air. Once you lower the truck back to the ground you will want to do a star pattern around the lugs and get them at 100ft lbs
Rears
For the rears I didn't have to lift my truck I was able to work under it
1) I sprayed all the bolts with pbs blaster
2) I lowered my spare tire to make the top drivers bolt easier to get to. If you don't know how to do this it is very simple. Under your seat is a tire change kit with wrenches and bars. Remove the kit and take the bars to the back of your truck. There is a hole above your license plate to stick the handle into. If you look in there you will see a square that you need to get the bar onto. Once you slide that on it, it will look like this

Just crank the tire down to the ground and you can remove it from the holder
3) I supported the truck at current level for when I removed the shock.
4) now you will want to get an open end wrench (7/8 I believe, but I may be wrong.), and also a socket in same size for the lower bolt. Let the wrench catch on the axle and remove the nut with the socket.

5) This is the most difficult bolt to get at, and it is the top bolt on drivers side. It is 13/16 size and you need 2 sockets. (I don't have any pictures of this as I was VERY frustrated at this time). I had to have help holding one of the sockets against the frame, when I turned the other one.
6) my shocks were stuck in the mounting spots so I took a crow bar to loosen them up.
7) You are now ready to install the new shocks.DO NOT REMOVE WHITE STRAP I did the top bolt 1st. I lifted the shock into the mount when I had some slide the bolt in. I then tightened the bolt a few turns and went to work on the the lower bolt
8) This is when I cut the white strap. You want to be ready when you cut that strap because the shock is going to extend. As the shock is extending you want to guide it into the mount. Once the shock is into the mount I took a screw driver and pried it up to slide the bolt in.
7) I then tightened both bolts.

Repeat this process on the passenger side rear.
Once done, don't forget to put your spare tire in place. Just slide the holder through the center cap, and turn that rod the opposite way until its tight

Here are all of my shocks.
As you can see they were in rough shape

I hope this helps someone. If have any questions just ask

Last edited by 99gp; 10-26-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 10-26-2012, 02:15 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Big Horn
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Deep Water Blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:611
InDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to all

Good job on the install, took you long enough to stop procrastinating lol
Old 10-26-2012, 02:18 AM

Ya, I had them 2 weeks before I finally did them. But to be honest a lot of the wait was because of weather
Old 10-26-2012, 07:28 AM
BULLYS PERFORMANCE

Vehicle: MOPAR
Rep:931
Bully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to behold

Great write up, if there is not something in the knowledge base already similar to this i think it would be a great addition

ALSO Feel free to PM us, OR post in our Vendor Section for quotes/questions/assistance!
July Blowout Sale! 10% over cost and free shipping on any and all in stock items!
Old 10-26-2012, 10:00 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

I think you have the rear shocks installed upside down....at least on the drivers side. The larger end is for the top as it acts like a umbrella that keeps dirt and water away from the rod and seal.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 10-26-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad12kx View Post
I think you have the rear shocks installed upside down....at least on the drivers side. The larger end is for the top as it acts like a umbrella that keeps dirt and water away from the rod and seal.
WOW!!!! Talk about a brain dead moment!!!, At least will be an easy ten min fix because the bolts have been cracked... Talk about ruined image of being taken seriously on here

Last edited by 99gp; 10-26-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:10 AM
Just some guy in Canada

brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

LOL! I will not publicly admit to learning about this the hard way.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 10-26-2012, 11:30 AM

Default Fixed mistake

As brad pointed out I made an air head move and installed my shock upside down. So here is what you do when your as smart as me and put them in wrong.
Don't forget you have to drop the rear tire again
1)Take off nut from the top but but do not remove bolt yet
2)take off nut from bottom bolt and remove bolt. You will want to pull the shock out towards the back of the truck as soon as the bolt come out
3) let shock fully extend while hanging from top bolt
4) remove top bolt and flip shock over to correct way
5) Put top bolt in and start the nut
6) get a jack that can lift higher then the bottom mount hole, and lift the shock like so

7) once higher then the mount let the jack down while pushing the shock towards the mount bracket
8) use a screw driver to line the hole for the bottom bolt
9) tighten bolts
10) relift spare tire
11) COME ON HERE AND SHARE, SO EVERYONE KNOWS YOU MISTAKE
Old 10-26-2012, 11:10 PM
Just some guy in Canada

Now that is the way to deal with an issue like this; right away! WTG!

This is an easy mistake to make when replacing shocks is limited to your personal DIY menu. After all, the hole and bushing is the same on each end, so other then the minor outside diameter difference.......

Good job on dealing with it so quick and being thoughtful enough to share this for the benefit of other members. I can tell you from experience to take pleasure in knowing that it was the last shock that you will ever install upside down.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:49 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2010 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Quad Cab 4X4 Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:2453
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

An excellent write-up and recovery (Thanks to Brad's eagle eyes). I tried giving you some reps (since this job really deserves some) but it says I must spread them around first. Sorry bud,
BT CC / Hood Kit, LED Tails, Recon 3rd Brake & Xtreme LightBar, Black Aluminum Side Steps, Leer 700, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, MOPAR Valve Caps, Lighted RAM hitch cover, Front Tow Hooks and Bed Post Hide-a-Hooks, Tints (20% frt, 35% rear and slider), Painted Engine Cover/Brake Calipers, K&N Drop in,OEM Fender Flares/ bug deflector, FM 40, SC Cortex, Oracle H11 LED Heads, 4000k Putco Fogs, LED Interior Lights, Honeycomb Grill, Bilstien 5100's.

Last edited by RansRAM; 10-26-2012 at 11:56 PM.