DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Notices

Off Topic Discussion Anything goes in here! Well, almost!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-27-2012, 12:54 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

In my line of work I use cordless tools almost exclusively. The only things I have with cords are tools that are not yet available in cordless. I'm sure there is at least one obscure brand of cordless tool that I have never owned, but I cannot think of any of the top of my head.

I am a Makita fan, but do not own any of their cordless at this time. I drifted from them 15 years ago when they had those horrible orange 12V batteries that wouldn't hold a charge long enough to tighten the chuck with the trigger.

DeWalt - They are Yellow for a reason.

Milwaukee - My personal favorite because the tool itself is absolutely top shelf. The batteries have come a long way and their current M18 batteries appear to be solid. Their M12 stuff is great but the battery chargers are finicky. Their older 18V stuff is great but the batteries suck, even the V18 Li-ion ones.

Ridgid - These are a decent tool with a warranty that beats all. I know have a rather extensive collection of their tools and have utilized the warranty to cover the batteries. No hassle at all; I like that in a warranty. The tools are not Milwaukee, but are very capable and remind me of me of Makita tools of 10-15 years ago.

The other brands of cordless tools are not worth mentioning IMO, as they either are too 'consumer grade' for me to consider or should be 'Yellow' as well.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Sponsored links
Old 10-27-2012, 08:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Sport
Color: Maximum Steel Metallic
Rep:910
primo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to behold

Milwaukee would be my first choice (except i'm cheap and haven't bellied up to the bar yet for alot of Milwaukee tools).

i do own alot of Rigid cordless tools (mostly because of the lifetime warranty..IMO no matter if they are junk, they will always be new...lol).

but honestly i've recently been moving to Hitachi power tools...very good IMO...and second to Milwaukee...
2014 Dodge Ram 4X4 Sport, BakFlip F1 cover, Weathertech DigiFit Liners, BedRug bed mat, PIAA Extreme White Fog Bulbs, ProComp 2.5" / 1.5" Nitro Level Lift, Zone Off Road Upper Control Arms, ProComp 5050 20" -12 offset, MT Deagan 38 35x12.5.20, iron Cross Step Bars, DeeZee Tail Gate Strut

I am the heir to the primo spaghetti sauce fortune!
Old 10-28-2012, 10:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

Milwaukee, I would say is top of the line. I have owned several, and worked with even more when I was active duty. I don't think they can be beat.

I had a Porta Cable (yeah I know) 12V cordless drill that was surprisingly top of the line. I used it extensively for almost 3 yrs, until I dropped (or more accurately it got kicked off) the drill, case, batteries, and charger off of a 100+ foot concrete tower. It didn't work worth the damn after that.

I'm yet to find a decent replacement. I'm no longer in the construction field, so I don't use my drill often, and when I do need it, I've found that I need to charge the battery before I can use it. I've currently got a Craftsman 18V that seems to function, though I wish I could keep a charge on the battery while it's being stored.

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 10-28-2012, 03:01 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Crew Sport
Color: Deep Water Blue Pearl Coat
Rep:50
MorePwr will become famous soon enough

I've been running DeWalt 14.4v series for over 12 years... still using most of the original batteries too... wouldn't call it garbage, but I can agree with most large companies having horrible customer service.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:16 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport Crew
Color: True Blue Pearl
Rep:1101
LowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud of

I think for that combo (drill/driver), Makita and DeWalt dominate. Both made in Japan these days. Whether they say 18v or 20v, they're both 18v w a 20v max. I use the Makita setup. Get the brushless option if you can. Smoother, quieter, etc. I use mine a lot with the compact batteries and the weight makes them great to use for my application-drywalling, framing. But I'm going to grab the bigger battery for a third as it will last way longer when framing with 2.5" or 3" screws. I even lost my temper one day and smashed my impact against the wall half a dozen times and it still works flawlessly. I would buy either of the two brands. I've used them both and they are so similar now. (But I'm not keen on yellow..)
Old 10-29-2012, 01:40 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

This the tool that i bought last year, i have not used it, but mobile home movers use the same brand & model & it works great for removing those big lug nuts

http://www.coastaltool.com/a/milwaukee/v28_0779-20.htm
mine came with the battery & charger, in a heavy duty plastic case
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 10-29-2012, 11:27 PM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Color: Black
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
This the tool that i bought last year, i have not used it, but mobile home movers use the same brand & model & it works great for removing those big lug nuts

http://www.coastaltool.com/a/milwaukee/v28_0779-20.htm
mine came with the battery & charger, in a heavy duty plastic case
I had the chance to use one of these about a year ago. They are a 'real' impact tool.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 10-31-2012, 12:56 PM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: '15 Ram 1500 Longhorn EcoD
Trim Level: CC, 6'4", 3.92, LSD
Color: Granite Crystal
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:1787
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Im a Milwaukee fan and do have the odd Ridgid because the warranty rocks for homeowners/DIYers with a lifetime warranty.

But I do reach for my Milwaukee time and time again
100% Guaranteed to work or we will replace it for free!
Old 10-31-2012, 01:18 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I've bought several "low quality" brand cordless drills (black and decker, ryobi, etc) from 12v to 18v and none of them have lasted. I don't even hardly use them, jsut around the house, drilling wood, hanging pictures, etc. Very light use. The batteries only last a few months then to buy another is like ~$50. I even follow the correct procedure of letting them cool off before and after charging, draining completely(as much as possible), etc. I won't ever buy another cordless unless it's a very good one, as the rest are a waste of money.

I will say that after wasting all that money and being fed up I decided I don't need a good cordless for my use and wasn't going to spend the money on one. So I went to harbor freight and for ~$50 I got an 18v cheap cordless drill, 2 batteries, and a charger. I've had it two years and it works great for light duty/household use. I bought it figuring if the batteries don't last, a new one is only $10, not $50, and they have actually lasted. Go figure...

I use a cord whenever I can.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:25 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
DeWalt - They are Yellow for a reason.
LOL what does that mean? My harbor freight one is black, it must be top of the line, eh?

I've given up on an affordable and reliable cordless for heavy use. The harbor freight one is dirt cheap and has been reliable for me, for light use. Obviously it wouldn't hold up in heavy use.

I have a bunch of hitachi tools, they are top notch especially for the price. I have an array, craftsman, milwaki, hitachi, dewalt, etc. I think I own some of each and really they are all great tools, especially if you don't use them day in and day out. I have a black and decker corded drill that is finally dying(I think the brushes need replaced....although I'll likely just buy a new one). The drill is probably about 40 years old and has absolutely been hammered on. We used it one year putting plywood up on friends/neighbors/people who need help houses when the hurricanes came through real bad around 2005, used it for like a week straight all day every day drilling into block houses. It got so hot you could barely touch the plastic casing bare handed lol. Black and decker now is like a tonka toy...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.