DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Notices

Off Topic Discussion Anything goes in here! Well, almost!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-26-2012, 04:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Silver
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:25
EWC88 is on a distinguished road
Default Air Tool question

So I was looking at buying some air tool's possibly a kit. Mostly looking at a impact wrench for the tires and they a ratchet wrench for misc bolts. I was looking at lowes at some of theres and prices do not seem bad at all, plus I get a discount.

My question is I have a air compressor already, but I am not sure if it'll operate the tools. It is a Campbell Hausfeld Iron Force Series: 5HP, 15 Gallon, 6.5 SCFM 40psi 5.1 SCFM 90psi, 125 max psi.

It then has a chart on it and it says operates tool intermittently.

Figured I'd ask you guys!
Sponsored links
Old 10-26-2012, 04:53 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

It will operate them intermittently, not continuously. Should be fine for the use you are describing. I have a similar compressor, with a little bit larger tank(IIRC it's like 25 gallon) and it operates all that great. I only get in trouble when I tried to use tools that require constant air like a sandblaster or chisel, etc...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:58 PM

Ok cool, it's really on going be used for tires and bolts on truck. Is kobalt ok? Should I look for certain size for the tools?
Old 10-26-2012, 05:02 PM

Vehicle: 2009
Trim Level: Big horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearlcoat
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:68
Detroit3000 will become famous soon enough

I use my impact and ratchet daily at work. I always date my tools when I buy them . The impact is from 12-07-00 and the ratchet is 2-15-01. Both are ingersol rand. I use and abuse them and they never quit..
Old 10-26-2012, 05:03 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

kobalt is good tools. I know my kobalt toolbox has a lifetime warranty, not sure if everything they make does. My compressor and air tool kit was from lowes/home depot and is the same as what you're looking at most likely(CH Iron force). Same brand, sounds like you have a newer model. I bought mine about 6 years ago or so. It works fine. About a year ago I did have the drive pulley come off and had to put it back on(the retaining clip broke off). Was ~$1 fix. Not the greatest compressor ever but has never really let me down and it was cheap. All the tools/accessories have worked every time I've used them as well. I use it occasionally, not a lot.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2583
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

you will run out of air rather quickly with the small tank compressors
i had a 20 gallon tank & i seemed to always be running out of air
I watched & waiting until i saw a compressor at Home Depot
it had been returned & reconditioned
i got it cheap & i don't run out of air

Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 10-26-2012, 05:24 PM

Yea lowes warranty is for everything, I use to work for them that's only reason I know. So does it matter on what size for the tools?
Old 10-26-2012, 05:33 PM

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:963
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

I agree with everone as well EWC. I bought a small twin tank Hitachi air compressor for the garage and set it to 90psi output and it works great for my 12 year old half inch Craftsman Pro which is basically an Ingersol Rand in disguise. You know back in the days when LOWE's first came out, their Kobalt wrenches were actually a SnapOn product and said so on the back of the packaging until SnapOn realized it took business away from their mobile tool trucks. Just an FYI. I wish I would have kept the packaging from 2000. Yeah, you wont go wrong with LOWE's or Home Depot for the DIY'er. For lug nuts and suspension nuts and bolts, I'd recommend a half inch air ratchet or 18V Cordless impact driver. And for small bolts and nuts for say oil or transmission pans and front and rear diff covers, a 3/8 inch air ratchet or a 10-14V cordless impact driver will work perfect. Man your makin me want to go tear something apart just talkin about tools bud! Hahaha!

Last edited by Gantman; 10-26-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:52 PM

Cool thanks everyone for the info! Gantman I never knew that about lowes with snap-on, they seem to not tell you that when you work there lol. Oh well I don't work there anymore but luckly still get the discounts lol. Like said I will only use for tire and also right now I will be doing ball joints soon so using tools to losing and tighten bolts.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:05 AM

For occasional, light duty use, you'll be fine with the lowe's/home depot iron force type brands.

I've been happy with mine, I think I paid ~$300 years ago. I will say though that now that I own my own home, have a 2 car garage, and am tackling larger projects that require more air, I will probably buy a large compressor like GT has in the next several years. I'll probably sell my current one and buy an even smaller one for light duty projects(this one takes up some space...). It's amazing how fast a garage fills up with some large tools...