DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram - Complete Builds
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram - Complete Builds When you are modding everything on your Dodge Ram, this is the place to showcase the build.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-16-2012, 03:14 PM
Ram Ham

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1475
KA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud of

I like the color matched visors on yours.. just not sure if it would look as good on the metallic gray.. and I have no idea about the cost involved with that either. What did it cost you, if you don't mind my asking, to get yours painted to match? Were your visors originally chrome or smoked and is one better for painting than the other?
Sponsored links
Old 11-16-2012, 03:28 PM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: '15 Ram 1500 Longhorn EcoD
Trim Level: CC, 6'4", 3.92, LSD
Color: Granite Crystal
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:1787
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA1OTE View Post
Cabin air filter mod.. done!

I just couldn't wait for the weather to warm up any longer.. I went out bundled up and got this done finally. Since the majority already know the basics and several write ups exist, I will cut to the chase and just post pics of my personal.. uhm.. experience, if you will.

This mod was pretty easy.. except for the odd angle, the inability to slide the passenger seat back further thus allowing more shoulder room, the severe lack of lighting and the sheer fact that this mod was intended for the left-handed of the general population!

All those points dealt with and put aside, I enjoyed doing this mod.. it was the first one that really felt like I was doing something to my truck.

And the best part? I only shed a little blood. (I didn't notice until just now while adding these pictures that my pinky finger got cut too.. lol.. I'm off to make yet another trip to the medicine cabinet) Did I mention I am not left handed?

Edit:
I know the filter in the pic doesn't show the arrows and the writing is upside down, but the arrows were on the side of the filter (not the front that shows in the pic) and I did in fact put it in correctly.. this particular filter seems to just deviate from those used by others.
Looks like mine
Not the bandaid, rather the mod....LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arth View Post
Hater!
Maybe......

Quote:
I like the color matched visors on yours.. just not sure if it would look as good on the metallic gray.. and I have no idea about the cost involved with that either. What did it cost you, if you don't mind my asking, to get yours painted to match? Were your visors originally chrome or smoked and is one better for painting than the other?
Matching color visors look good on any vehicle. Id say do it

click here ---> Got Factory Air Suspension? - Want to Lift or Lower? <---click here

sales@bullysperformance.com

Old 11-16-2012, 04:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:2028
Arth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I picked up my visors off ebay for $40 bucks shipped and yes they were smoked. Then I have a local paint shop that does them cheap...not to mention it isn't that much paint. They charged me $80 to do all four. I'm in this for about $120 out the door.

I think the cost is justified here because boy do they look awesome!

My personal opinion on the chrome visors is they are just an eye sore up there. At least with the steps, mirrors, bug guard, and side molding for me there is chrome near it to match. The visors are all alone on the door surrounded by paint...just doesn't fit in my opinion.

Besides...painted visors would compliment the B-Pillar tape removal! Which I'm sure you've seen my picture of that as well...

Chrome... in moderation.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:26 PM
Bully's Performance

fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Quote:
I picked up my visors off ebay for $40 bucks shipped and yes they were smoked. Then I have a local paint shop that does them cheap...not to mention it isn't that much paint. They charged me $80 to do all four. I'm in this for about $120 out the door.

I think the cost is justified here because boy do they look awesome!

My personal opinion on the chrome visors is they are just an eye sore up there. At least with the steps, mirrors, bug guard, and side molding for me there is chrome near it to match. The visors are all alone on the door surrounded by paint...just doesn't fit in my opinion.

Besides...painted visors would compliment the B-Pillar tape removal! Which I'm sure you've seen my picture of that as well...
What Arth said ^^^^^^

click here ---> Got Factory Air Suspension? - Want to Lift or Lower? <---click here

Old 11-16-2012, 05:03 PM
Ram Ham

KA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud of

Quote:
Well I am certainly interested.. just not sure if my small town has a shop that would offer this special paint order or, more importantly, be able to color match the exact color of my rig.

Cost-wise, it seems to come out a bit lower than what I've been able to find for the chrome Putco Elements.. all depends on the deal I can find on eBay when I'm ready to buy, I suppose.

I think I main concern would be visibility. Does having the visors painted reduce visibility at all from the driver's seat? I would imagine it has to affect it at least a little bit..? I am all about visibility. Being able to see and being seen are my top priorities.. one reason why I love my lights. I also need to be able to see out. Good example, my husband's work truck is currently a Ford Sport-Trac and this blasted thing was never looked at by the developers from the driver's seat. The style they used to design the rear windows, rear head rests.. let's just say it is next to impossible to see anything while driving - even when you turn your head to actually look.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:14 PM

Arth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well I am certainly interested.. just not sure if my small town has a shop that would offer this special paint order or, more importantly, be able to color match the exact color of my rig.

Cost-wise, it seems to come out a bit lower than what I've been able to find for the chrome Putco Elements.. all depends on the deal I can find on eBay when I'm ready to buy, I suppose.

I think I main concern would be visibility. Does having the visors painted reduce visibility at all from the driver's seat? I would imagine it has to affect it at least a little bit..? I am all about visibility. Being able to see and being seen are my top priorities.. one reason why I love my lights. I also need to be able to see out. Good example, my husband's work truck is currently a Ford Sport-Trac and this blasted thing was never looked at by the developers from the driver's seat. The style they used to design the rear windows, rear head rests.. let's just say it is next to impossible to see anything while driving - even when you turn your head to actually look.
I think there is a very minor visibility loss if any at all with these.

However if your set on going chrome then your going to be getting the same thing...the chrome ones have the same effect as painted. They will make the A-pillar seem a bit larger is all because you can't see through them.

I've had painted visors on my trucks for about a year and a half without issue. However the point can be made that I might have just gotten used to having them there and they don't bother me.. for others it may be a different story.

Chrome... in moderation.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:40 PM
Ram Ham

Well.. you sold me. And I sold hubby on it when he got home.
He thought I wanted the all chrome look.. but after I showed him pictures here and from out in the wild internet world of examples of each look.. he caved.
So for the last few hours (off and on, was watching CSI: Miami at the same time ) I've been pricing out the smoked visors as I had only priced out chrome ones til now.
Found a hell of a steal on Amazon! Got a "Used - Like New" set for only $8.37 with free Prime shipping!
Even if they end up having a few minor imperfections, the paint job should mask most of it. But heck, only $8 bucks! I couldn't hesitate LOL

So, Arth, I thank you for the suggestion, advice, and the pictures on your build thread (the first truck, a silver one, really sold me on the look as it is closer to my rig's color than your current orange). On a side note, wow you sure change rigs rather frequently!
Old 11-16-2012, 11:04 PM

Always glad to help out!

Hey now I had a weak moment like I'm sure we all do and I bought what I thought was going to be the truck I'd keep for a LONG time. Times changed gas went up even more and I didn't enjoy owning a diesel because of my short drives.

Then I made a promise to my wife I wouldn't buy another truck no matter how much I disliked the silver one unless I found one identical to the truck I sold... Well as you can tell I found one.

Anyways lesson learned and as long as this one stays mechanically sound I will keep it going for as long as I can!

Quote:
Well.. you sold me. And I sold hubby on it when he got home.
He thought I wanted the all chrome look.. but after I showed him pictures here and from out in the wild internet world of examples of each look.. he caved.
So for the last few hours (off and on, was watching CSI: Miami at the same time ) I've been pricing out the smoked visors as I had only priced out chrome ones til now.
Found a hell of a steal on Amazon! Got a "Used - Like New" set for only $8.37 with free Prime shipping!
Even if they end up having a few minor imperfections, the paint job should mask most of it. But heck, only $8 bucks! I couldn't hesitate LOL

So, Arth, I thank you for the suggestion, advice, and the pictures on your build thread (the first truck, a silver one, really sold me on the look as it is closer to my rig's color than your current orange). On a side note, wow you sure change rigs rather frequently!

Chrome... in moderation.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:35 AM
Ram Ham

Thought I'd post an update..

Just ordered my ultimately supreme, most awesomest mud flaps today! After a discussion with a member here, I was contacted by his dealership in Canada and we got my flaps on order! They should arrive by the end of next week. Just in time for my hubby to return from Germany.. and we'll get them installed a week from this weekend.

Just a side note, I don't hear it very often.. being as how I live in Southern Utah.. but you Canadians have some of the coolest accents. Just sayin.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:46 AM
Bully's Performance

Quote:
Just a side note, I don't hear it very often.. being as how I live in Southern Utah.. but you Canadians have some of the coolest accents. Just sayin.
Really?
I honestly think the same of Americans who have accents
Haha
It's all good

This is a first too! Someone from the US ordering something from Canada.