DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram - Complete Builds

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram - Complete Builds When you are modding everything on your Dodge Ram, this is the place to showcase the build.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-28-2013, 03:58 AM
Ram Ham

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1475
KA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud of

So I went to the dealership today for three problems...

First.. my USB connections (the one on the RHR head unit and the one in the upper glove box) are not working. I loaded pics onto three different flash drives and tried all of them on both USB ports with no luck whatsoever. The radio display didn't show any acknowledgment that there was even a flash drive inserted into the port(s), even though one of my drives has an external light that illuminates when it has power. Their radio expert was who tried troubleshooting it in the truck with me.. he said that there may be an update needed.. or I may have to have my radio completely replaced.

Question: IF I do need a replacement radio, do you think I could request the one that has the Garmin Nav? I currently have 730N RHR and the nav drives me nuts. I've read and heard good things about the radio with Garmin Nav and would love to have that one instead - if given the opportunity.

Second.. both of my front seats are starting to warp similar to what I've read about happening to other members. The driver's seat is worse off and the passenger seat is not far behind, already showing the same signs (crinkling sounds when depressed by hand and very wavy, lumpy, when drawing your hand over the surface).

And third.. the external window trim at the base of the window on the driver's door is badly bubbled/gouged at the very front edge, near the mirror. I noticed it today and decided to bring it to their attention while I was in for the other two concerns.. they were as perplexed as I am. They took pictures and are submitting it to Chrysler.. quoting it as a defect since they were all unsure as to what could have caused it (they all agreed that I was not at fault). I actually overheard them comparing it to a previous issue they've seen on '12s where this exterior window strip has been peeling or something - didn't catch the whole conversation.

I am supposed to get a call next week sometime to set an appointment to have all three of these issues looked at in the garage (they were busy and gave my truck a once over in the parking lot today).
Sponsored links
Old 03-04-2013, 12:05 AM
Ram Ham

KA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud of

Got my high beam/fog light conversion kit wired up and installed today.. could not be happier or more pleased! I haven't driven her after dark yet or taken any night shots, but I don't doubt they will be anything but superb!

Here's the link to my install thread with write up. (Should I copy my write up here on my build thread?)

Old 03-04-2013, 12:05 PM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: '15 Ram 1500 Longhorn EcoD
Trim Level: CC, 6'4", 3.92, LSD
Color: Granite Crystal
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:1787
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Great write up!
I would certainly add it to your build thread. Not everyone reads and pictures in that post will make people wonder and want to read it

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA1OTE View Post
Got my high beam/fog light conversion kit wired up and installed today.. could not be happier or more pleased! I haven't driven her after dark yet or taken any night shots, but I don't doubt they will be anything but superb!

Here's the link to my install thread with write up. (Should I copy my write up here on my build thread?)

100% Guaranteed to work or we will replace it for free!
Old 03-04-2013, 04:45 PM
Ram Ham

Hey everyone.. I finally got around to installing this kit I bought four months ago. There was some discussion that this kit was not correct for our Rams.. I can confirm that it will work with a 2012 Laramie CC 4x4 (not sure if the equipment under the hood and the setup of the front bumper varies between models).

This kit is available on eBay.
Also available direct from the seller's website.

This kit is intended to force the fog lights to come on with the high beams. The factory fog light switch will not override this mod - meaning your fog lights will ALWAYS be on whenever the high beams are on (unless you purchase additional parts for this kit). If you are like me and do not care about this (after all, isn't that the whole point?!) then please read on...
~~~~~~~~~~
A few things to mention about this kit.

On our first test run, the driver side fog light came on with the parking light. I've included notes (Step #3) about this problem below.

On our second test run, only the driver side fog came on with the high beams. The manufacturer assumed that tapping into the driver side fog light only would force both fog lights to come on with the high beams. This is NOT TRUE in my Ram. Our fog lights are fed independently. This kit does not include an additional wire to connect the passenger side fog to the driver side fog. So make note that you will need about 6 feet of #16 automotive stranded single conductor wire.
~~~~~~~~~~
Here are the instructions with my own comments/actions and, of course, some pics.

Step #1
Open hood and remove driver's side head light. 3 bolts hold it in place. Clean the wiring back from the headlight socket to see the wire colors.

-They should recommend removing the front grille as doing so reduces this step by one whole degree of difficulty by getting the grille out of the way. I removed the grille which proved helpful later on...

Step #2
Mount the conversion box to the inner core support towards the top right hand side, where the washer bottle bolt is. Be sure to install the ground wire. This will be the short wire with the ring terminal.

-Due to the length (or severe lack thereof) of the white wire in the harness (mentioned and used in Step #3 below), we mounted the conversion box on the inner edge of the left fender (forward of the distribution box, using an existing ground wire bolt). The conversion box bracket had to be drilled out slightly in order to fit under the bolt.

Step #3
Install a single T-Tap on the white wire with green stripe (or the high beam positive wire) from the head light socket. Plug the white wire from the conversion box into this T-Tap.

-A MAJOR note to mention: If you are able to mount the conversion box to where you can get the short white wire to reach right behind the headlight socket wires, then this won't pose you a problem. However, with where we mounted the conversion box, we tapped into a white wire with green stripe further up the line (instead of right behind the head light socket). We became aware that there are TWO white wires with green stripes where we tapped into the loom - one for the parking light and one for the high beam! Just something to keep in mind if you tap into the loom further up the loom.

Step #4
Unplug the wiring from the fog light inside the bumper on the driver's side. It will be located on the back of the fog light. Clean the wiring back and install the 2nd T-Tap to the blue wire (or the fog light positive wire). Do not connect to the black wire!! Plug the long loomed wire with the blue male connector from the conversion box into this T-Tap.

-My fog light wiring had only one black and one white wire.. no blue! We tapped into the white. Please note!

Step #5
Run the long loomed wire with the ring terminal to the distribution box. Under the lid on the far left side you will find a 12V positive source. Mount the ring terminal to the power source and close the lid. Tuck any loose wiring back with the supplied zip ties. Check you work and you're done!

Couldn't be happier with this mod!!!!
Old 03-04-2013, 04:48 PM
Ram Ham

I hope to get night pics to show the performance of all six lights on at once tonight. It will all depend on the weather as it is snowing and blowing in Cheyenne today.

I also haven't forgotten my promise of a video of my lightbar in action now that I have completed all the hookups. I will post pics of where I tapped into the reverse lights later today. I did not connect to the driver's side tail light.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:49 PM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: '15 Ram 1500 Longhorn EcoD
Trim Level: CC, 6'4", 3.92, LSD
Color: Granite Crystal
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:1787
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

This is sort of like deja-vu

Kidding.....great to keep your build thread alive with great info
100% Guaranteed to work or we will replace it for free!
Old 03-04-2013, 05:09 PM
Ram Ham

Yeah, deja-vu lol..
Thanks Fast!

I know most of what I do to my truck doesn't fall into the normal mod category for everyone else on here, but I do try to post everything I do just in case someone gets interested. Now, if ever I decide to install a CAI or change my factory exhaust.. that'll be the day!
Old 03-04-2013, 05:18 PM
Ram Ham

I have an update regarding day time running lights... a conversation I have had with numerous members.. I have learned that my truck, had it been shipped and sold in Canada, would have had the DRL option turned on (as it is required by law there). So, reason leaves me to believe that my truck, having been purchased in the USA, should have the ability to have the DRL option turned on somewhere inside the truck's computer.

I have visited my dealer in Utah and they informed me, after connecting their diagnostic machine or something to my truck, that there was no option displayed for the DRL and that they could not turn it on.

I just visited Cowboy Dodge here in Cheyenne (I am visiting family) and posed the same question and request to them. They said they can do it and turn the DRL on but that it would cost me $110 plus taxes. I kept my cool and asked why I would have to pay for a safety feature that is automatically on from the factory when the vehicle is shipped to Canada. Their reply was that this is a "Customer Preference" and is therefor not covered under warranty nor can it be turned on as a courtesy. My final question to them was this.. "So you're telling me that if I was buying a new Ram from you and I wanted the DRL option turned on that you would add $110 plus taxes to my out the door purchase price for the rig?" They had no reply.

Needless to say, I left without an appointment to return.

Does anyone have any ideas on this? I have my hometown dealer say it can't be done. Another dealer in a different state say it can be done, for a price. Is there any way to find out for a fact if it can be and how to get the instructions/steps to my hometown dealer who said that if they could do it, they wouldn't charge me anything??

Bottom line.. I do not feel as though I should have to pay for this "Customer Preference" as it is a safety feature, at least in my mind. I am starting to feel like I am getting the run around on this. I also feel as though this dealer in Cheyenne is just trying to get more money out of me. *sigh* I'm beginning to lose interest in having this done.

Last edited by KA1OTE; 03-04-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:1266
Stump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA1OTE View Post
Does anyone have any ideas on this? I have my hometown dealer say it can't be done. Another dealer in a different state say it can be done, for a price. Is there any way to find out for a fact if it can be and how to get the instructions/steps to my hometown dealer who said that if they could do it, they wouldn't charge me anything??

Bottom line.. I do not feel as though I should have to pay for this "Customer Preference" as it is a safety feature, at least in my mind. I am starting to feel like I am getting the run around on this. I also feel as though this dealer in Cheyenne is just trying to get more money out of me. *sigh* I'm beginning to lose interest in having this done.
Pop over here and have one of our resident techs see if they can answer this for you. It could be that the truck requires a software flash vs. just turning an option on in the software.

Big Red my old 2011 Sport

Enjoy big benefits with a subscription to RamforumZ, become a site supporter today!

Don't forget to upload pics of your Ram in the Gallery!

Great how to's and lets not forget the Rulez.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:24 PM
Ram Ham

Thank you for the suggestion.. just posted!