DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram - Complete Builds

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram - Complete Builds When you are modding everything on your Dodge Ram, this is the place to showcase the build.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-15-2014, 02:07 PM
Ram Ham

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1475
KA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlc41 View Post
Ka1, I just ordered the Hunter bull bar. I am getting ready to order the KC 123's but I have a question for you. Did you wire them to come on with your hi beams, if so how, or did you use the supplied switch? Thanks in advance.
Joe
My KCs are wired independently and are controlled by their own switch I mounted on my dash just to the left of my steering column.

Wiring these driving lights to be forced on with the high beams would be just too much. I love my light, but I must have control over them. Also, I think I would arouse suspicion if a cop was to see me driving down the highway at night with eight lights (four sets) engaged all at once. I am not sure about other states, but here in Utah that is a no-go.

I would suggest wiring your KCs independently.
Sponsored links
Old 07-16-2014, 09:33 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 CC
Trim Level: Laramie Crew
Color: Western Brown two tone (Hershey Bar)
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:39
jlc41 is on a distinguished road

Thanks, I'll have to think about this, I see your point.
tint, drop in bed liner, Avs window shades, Raptor bed rails, Dee Zee tail gate damper, Genos cabin air filter, Bak Roll-x cover, Weather tech mud flaps, Recon Xtrem tailgate bar, Moroso catch can, DoMore Slide Step, 5/16 Dual pin stripe, Reese lighted hitch cover, Master lock for hitch receiver, Truxedo bed lites, Hunter SS bull bar, .
Old 08-01-2014, 01:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2002 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 2WD
Trim Level: ST
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:121
KelseytheDodgeGirl will become famous soon enoughKelseytheDodgeGirl will become famous soon enough
Talking

Whew!
Alright, I'm exhausted, but I've conquered the Luxury Laramie build thread!
It took more than one day, let me tell you. It was well worth the time spent reading and drooling.
I probably shouldn't have, because holy CRAP
I really, really want a ton of lights now, more than I wanted before!
The write ups and detailed pictures are amazing, Kai.
Your truck is gorgeous and you've clearly put her together with a ton of time and love.
I'm completely jealous.
I'm subscribing so I don't fall behind in the updates to your awesome rig.
Rep points for that, and I wish I could give more. You deserve them!

1996 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie 5.2L V8 "The Beast"
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 ST 4.7L V8 "Silver" Build thread
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L V8 Hemi
Old 08-01-2014, 06:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Hi KIA, I just got my KC's and mounted them. But they protrude about an inch beyond the bull bar. Did you run into this. Or were you able to use the mounting hole in the bracket as opposed to the slot in the front of the bracket?
tint, drop in bed liner, Avs window shades, Raptor bed rails, Dee Zee tail gate damper, Genos cabin air filter, Bak Roll-x cover, Weather tech mud flaps, Recon Xtrem tailgate bar, Moroso catch can, DoMore Slide Step, 5/16 Dual pin stripe, Reese lighted hitch cover, Master lock for hitch receiver, Truxedo bed lites, Hunter SS bull bar, .
Old 09-04-2014, 02:04 AM
Ram Ham

KA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud of

Hey everyone. Wow. I don't think I've ever gone this long between posts. Many apologies. I would have rather had been on here..

Two days after my last post, my life got interesting, to say the least.. starting with having to make the terrible, yet responsible, decision to put my 10 yr old cat to sleep. Then crap just kind of snowballed from there. I've dealt with it and have finally surfaced though. What's that old saying? "That which doesn't kill you..." yeah, it nearly did.. but here I be.

My puppy, Skip, has assumed his rightful place as my co-pilot. Very happily I might add. Seems the front passenger seat of my Ram was made to fit his Corgi body perfectly. He tends to agree. Took right to this new seating arrangement when circumstances required his crate to be broken down and stored on the way home from Wyoming last month. Give him a few toys ('cause you know he's going to drop a few where you can't reach), a nice comfy blanket and point all the vents at him and he'd tell you that he rode home in first class.

I purchased, received and installed a DeeZee heavyweight bed mat. Wow. My emergency kit (a.k.a. large Rubbermaid tub) doesn't get tossed around like a pinball in the back anymore.. always right where I left it. Pure awesomeness. Hey! It's the little things in life.

That's everything for now. All caught up, I think. My truck hasn't had a thorough "Kai cleaning", as my hubby calls it, for over a month. Honestly? The outside is driving me insane and I'm going to have to put aside time to tackle the blasted dirt and dust. The inside could use a wipe down and a quick pass of the vacuum but really? I'm getting used to the puppy fuzz and find that it doesn't annoy me all that much. Just overwhelmed and purely joyful to have a Corgi in my life again to care much.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:12 PM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Good to see you back, Kai. Sorry to hear about your kitty. Having to put a family member to sleep is never easy. Good to hear about Skip feels at home and that you're tolerating his puppy antics.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Sorry to hear about your kitty cat. But glad to hear that Skip is there to keep you company and amused.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:10 PM
Ram Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlc41 View Post
Hi KIA, I just got my KC's and mounted them. But they protrude about an inch beyond the bull bar. Did you run into this. Or were you able to use the mounting hole in the bracket as opposed to the slot in the front of the bracket?
Hey there.. sorry for neglecting your question for so long..

Following the install instructions on both the bar and the lights, I ran into the same forward protrusion issue as well. The instructions have you install the brackets from the rear of the bar, thus hitching over the bar with an open gap facing forward. Doing it this way, the lights sat ahead of the bar overall and I didn't like the looks. Neither did I care that my expensive KCs were exposed and not protected on all sides.

What I did to fix this problem.. I reset to the starting point (removed the KCs from the brackets and removed the brackets from the bar).. I flipped the brackets around.. they are still installed on the bar using the same hole, however the top where the KCs go is now facing backward.. more toward the grille. I had to widen the holes for the KCs.. making them elongated so the KCs could slide for adjustment.

Once the new holes were drilled, I re-installed the brackets (backwards) and just finger tightened the KCs into the new sliding holes, stood back and adjusted each KC one at a time until I was satisfied with the alignment with the bar.

The end result.. my KCs are now installed properly seated and protected within the confines of the entire bull bar surrounding. I really hope this makes sense.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:45 PM
Ram Ham

Skip - My co-pilot

Purchased a harness and a seat belt extension from Petco. That initial setup didn't give him the secured freedom I wanted him to have. So we swung by Murdoch's and picked up a caribiner clip and a 3' bungee cord. I lashed that around the seat, clipped the caribiner to that and connected his extension to the clip. Now he is safe, but able to move about freely within the seat. I tested the strength of the bungee.. even if I stomp on the brakes, he won't shift forward enough to have his nose touch the upper glove box.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:00 AM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Voonderbar! Great thinking, Kai!