DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-30-2012, 12:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport Crew
Color: True Blue Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1054
LowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud of

Like I said, talk to the Diablo guys. At the very least, it will eliminate the PCM and tuner as sources of the issue.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:05 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport 4x4
Color: Stone White
Rep:10
kellyfj10 is on a distinguished road

What kind of tune are you running on your predator? Is it a canned tune or one from magnuson? Could it be that something is wrong with the tune? One little mistake in the tune could cause all these problems. I am just shooting in the dark but I would try getting a new tune from HHP or someone like that first before taking the PCM out.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram CC 4x4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Mineral Gray
2010SCRam is on a distinguished road

The original tune was from Magnuson but they had it done by Diablo where Johan works. That tune has since been modified by a couple tuners but I did have Johan look at it and he didn't find anything in the tune itself that should be causing the problems I've been having. Once the new transmission is put in Johan is gonna re look at the truck and the Tune before I get it back. I was told one way to test the PCM is by uploading the tune into it them pulling it back out and loading it onto a computer and comparing it to the tune before it was installed to see if the PCM is taking the uploaded tune as it was written.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:16 AM

Do you think the tuner itself could be bad. Have you tried to return your truck to stock then install the tune with a different tuner. I know it sounds crazy but I can not get the intune to work on my 09 ram but the trinity works great. Might be another option. Just trying to give you cheaper (less stressful) solutions then the trans.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:51 AM

Well I never thought of that actually. My engine wouldn't run right with the Magnuson supercharger on it if the tune from the Diablo didn't load and since it does run alright I guess I just assumed nothing was wrong with my Predator. The under drove clutch pack as well as the 2nd and 4th gear clutch packs were "hurt" as Denny from SharaDon put it and they shouldn't have been if the tune I attempted to load was actually successfully being transmitted to a properly working PCM he said. Talked to another friend who said it sounds like my line pressure is to low which is causing the clutch packs to slip along with my torque converter not locking up for some reason. Question is if that is true is it because of a bad tuner, bad tune, bad PCM or was something wrong which my past transmission(s) and torque converter(s). Thanks for the thought about the tuner itself actually being bad cause that thought hadn't crossed my mind but now I'm curious....
Old 11-01-2012, 01:07 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3236
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

So let me get this straight... you got the predator with the supercharger kit then sent THAT tune to several different people to modify, and you think it's a PCM issue? I hate to say it, but this is a tuning issue. The tune affects the engine and the tranny equally, and while Johan is an absolute wizard when it comes to tuning the hemi, he's just not THAT good with the 545RFE transmission, I know, I have Johan tuning my NOVI 1200 head/cammed powered '07 Sharadon Stage III VB + Circle D 2800 t-verter. You want a great tuner for the hemi and the getrac combo, Johan is absolutely amazing, but like everyone else, the 545 is a nightmare.

I know I had been having troubles with my tunes originally because the original base tune I picked every time I loaded the tune had been corrupted, which caused issues with every tune afterwards, even though it wasn't used to actually create the tune; but the PCM needs it to validate the changes to be made to the mapping tables. When you load your tunes, which original tune do you use? The magnuson or the OEM tune? This could make a big difference.

The Stage III or the ATS trannies will all have problems if you have tune issues; and to complicate matters, you can have a great tune and the aftermarket tranny can still burn up;there are many people that are continuously rebuilding transmissions even when making moderate 5-600hp at the crank. It's very hit-or-miss when it comes to durability in daily drivers with our trannies because of how often the 2nd prime clutch pack is engaged for part-throttle or WOT downshifts.

Irregardless of the actual reason, please keep us informed on this because our transmissions are so very picky when it comes to tuning and the more info the better for those of us making decent power.

Last edited by CdnoilRAM; 11-01-2012 at 01:12 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:56 AM

Yes I got the Predator with the kit from Magnuson and they used Johan to tweak the tune from what I was told by Horsepower sales who installed the supercharger. It was done via email when after install the thing didn't run perfect. After they got it how they wanted it I later took it to another guy who adjusted the Redline and shift points to a higher RPM and tweaked the tune for more power. After I broke the stock 545RFE I had another Diablo again tweak this same tune to work with the SharaDon Performance stage III tranny after several problems with it he adjusted this same tune a couple times but I'm not sure if the problems at that point were tune, tuner, PCM, tranny or t-converter. After I shiped the truck back to Denny at SharaDon Performance and he rebuilt the tranny I'm not sure if he had anyone look at the tune but since I got it back and it broke again nothing has been changed. Johan looked at the tune and said that even though there were some things he didn't like and would change nothing that he could see should be causing the problems I was having. The reason I was wondering it the DiabloSport tuner itself had somehow messed up my PCM is because I was told they had done that before and was wondering if anyone else experience this. CdnoilRAM how has your tranny been holding up?
Old 11-01-2012, 10:24 AM

I would give Josh at HHP a call. He might be able to help. He fixed my issues....302-894-1115. I mean what could it hurt.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyfj10 View Post
I would give Josh at HHP a call. He might be able to help. He fixed my issues....302-894-1115. I mean what could it hurt.
Just got off the phone with HHP. Josh transfered me over to Bruce who advised it sounded like a clogged transmission cooler. The dealership said they already pulled and bench flow tested my transmission cooler and it flowed fine but Bruce said if they didn't reverse flow test it it could still actually be clogged and he thinks that's the problem and I should replace that rather then the PCM.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:05 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3236
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

The NOVI 1200 is being installed this winter but I've been running a 200 shot on my head/cammed engine so power levels are the same and with just the VB and TC there hasn't been any problems with slippage, even when I borrowed a set of drag radials for my last track day. That said, I'm planning on an ATS tranny next year if funds allow (getting married shouldn't cost THIS much!), I just have had a very bad experience with Don that I really don't want to give them anymore of my business.

As for the tranny cooler, everybody I've ever talked to about upgrading the tranny has recommended I swap in a HD cooler from a 1-ton's 68rfe. If you're burning up the tranny then it's probably something to look into yourself.