DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-25-2012, 03:02 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Sport 4X4 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep water blue pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:13
bluedodgeram is on a distinguished road
Default Headlamps starting to pulsate.

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has crossed this issue with their vehicle? I was at the drive through at Tim Hortons early in the morning to grab a coffee before work, it was still pretty dark outside, but noticed the headlights only started to pulsate, then would stay at a constant brightness, then pulsate, as if my voltage regulator was starting to go. But only the headlights, not the exterior markers/signal lamps, or the interior instrument lamps on the dash. WTF.
Sponsored links
Old 09-25-2012, 12:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2006 Ram 2500 Quad cab 4x4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Atlantic Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:140
DOZER will become famous soon enoughDOZER will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to DOZER Send a message via Skype™ to DOZER

Do you have HID's or stock bulbs?
'06 2500 ST 4x4 Quad cab, Vararam CAI, Bed/Hood stripes, Vent visors, Bully tailgate lock, Moto Metal 909 18x9, Nitto Terra Grapplers 295/70/18 HBS 2" level, Bilstein 5100's, Bushwhacker flares, 5000K HID's, Diablo Trinity 87 tune, LineX, Bakflip F1.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:35 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Crew Cab 1500 Sport 4x4
Color: Black Pearlcoat
Rep:19
blackpearldodge is on a distinguished road

The same thing has happened to me.
I currently have HID lights installed (Quad lights), but with my stock bulbs installed, I noticed the driver-side lamp pulsing.
I get the same thing happening with my HID bulbs. Not sure if I should be too concerned as I know that the RAM trucks use a pulse-current to power the headlights.
The only thing I'm worried about is having an HID bulb or ballast go in the middle of winter.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:10
sonic4x4 is on a distinguished road

Having the same issue. Make sure you have the wire with the relay in place. Running HIDs off the stock wiring (especially if the HIDs are 55w) will toast the stock connectors. The HIDs need their main power through a relayed wire.
The MODS LIST: Magnaflow Y-Pipe/Muffler, AMP Power Boards & Bed X-Tender, Spyder CCFL/LED Black Projector Headlights, Recon WhiteLightening LED Tailgate Bar, WeatherTech mats, Pro Comp K2075B 6" Lift, Moto Metal MO961 Matte Black 20" Rims w/ProComp Xtreme A/T 35" Tires, BakFlip F1, Aries Bull Bar w/KC Lights, LED Bulbs, Mopar Chrome Bug Deflector, BilletTech Catch Can, 180 T-Stat, Vararam 4G
Old 10-09-2012, 04:54 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:64
Rescue1 will become famous soon enough

Could be a bad Rectifier Diode going bad in the Alternator. See if you can track down a charging system tester. Some auto stores have them, and places like batteries plus will let you quickly use it..
Old 10-19-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic4x4 View Post
Having the same issue. Make sure you have the wire with the relay in place. Running HIDs off the stock wiring (especially if the HIDs are 55w) will toast the stock connectors. The HIDs need their main power through a relayed wire.
I don't know about that. I've been running my HIDs in my truck almost since the truck was new. I have not had any issues with the stock plugs frying out.
My HIDs are powered directly from the stock wiring harness.. I do not use a relay hooked to the battery. I run the 55w kit.
The kit has been running flawlessly since June 2011.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:41 AM

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

If the lamp is pulsating, and it's only doing in that one place.... that leads me to believe that you've got some sort of loose connection somewhere, be it in the ground wire, one of the bulb connectors, or even in a wiring harness.

These types of problems can be a bitch to chase down, and the crapper of it, is that if left unchecked the loose connection can cause over heating, which will cause bigger and badder problems.

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 10-26-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excoastie View Post
If the lamp is pulsating, and it's only doing in that one place.... that leads me to believe that you've got some sort of loose connection somewhere, be it in the ground wire, one of the bulb connectors, or even in a wiring harness.

These types of problems can be a bitch to chase down, and the crapper of it, is that if left unchecked the loose connection can cause over heating, which will cause bigger and badder problems.

Exco
A loose connection would likely cause the bulb to go out - yes - but that would not cause the light to flicker rapidly, like what we are experiencing here.

Dodge uses a pulse system for their headlamps.

Good suggestion, though.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Sport 4X4 Crew Cab
Color: Deep water blue pearl
Rep:13
bluedodgeram is on a distinguished road
Unhappy No response from Chrysler concerning headlight issue, SAFETY ISSUE!

My Headlamp issue is still there, plus now I have a driver's side headlamp works when it feels like it. This is how it all started, I brought it to the dealership close to my work last Monday, they said wow, that is odd, it is more of a flicker than a pulsating, they added more grounds, to see if it helped the issue. Nothing, I went back on Tuesday the next day for my left headlamp was out, they replied oh it's going to cost you so much, fair enough, as soon they started the truck and moved it forward, the left hand bulb came back on. So now I got a vehicle with the left headlamp will work when it wants too, I asked the service writer about the issue, I was ignored for a good hour or so, then when he noticed I was still there waiting for his response he told me arrogantly that the work order is open but no email from the Engineers yet, So I replied, thank you, and left, so I replaced the left hand bulb myself and no difference. I am still waiting on response from somebody from Chrysler, I have emailed DodgeCACares back to see if they heard anything, but I'm just left hanging. No response from anyone from Chrysler, that's pretty bad, I think. I thought they actually care about their customers, but they are very similar to Ford, I had quite a few Fords in the past. Oh well, you pay so much for a new vehicle, and then no help. Pretty sad, I don't know what else to do. I've been posting in Dodge Ram Forums about this issue, everything is all factory, no HID's.