DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 > Exhaust

Notices

Exhaust 4.7L Exhaust Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-31-2012, 02:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Brilliant Black Pearl
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
sneed45 is on a distinguished road
Default 2011 4.7 V8 Exhaust

I bought my truck back in January and I love it so far. I am thinking about starting make some modifications here before long and I have a few questions. The first mod I would like to make is I want to take the stock single exhaust and change out the muffler and run dual exhaust. My first question is how much would this cost out the door approximately? I travel a lot with work so finding the time to do this myself would be pretty difficult so I am looking at getting it installed at a shop. Also should I take it to the dealer or would it be fine taking it anywhere? Another big question is will this effect the warranty? Aside from these the biggest thing i want to do is make sure i do not make it too loud inside the cab or outside. I want it to sound more aggressive but i also do not want it to drive me nuts driving down the interstate since i do this about an hour everyday going back and forth from work. What are your suggestions? Do certain brands tend to be louder than others or is it more based on the set-up you choose? As you can probably tell i am pretty new to all this but i am very excited to learn more about my truck and the options i have.
Sponsored links
Old 10-31-2012, 03:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2003 dodge ram 1500 reg cab
Trim Level: SLT Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:155
99gp has a spectacular aura about99gp has a spectacular aura about

Welcome to the Z. Glad to you have you here.
I would go magnaflow. They have an amazing aggressive sound to them and if you get it in a 22 or 24" I think you would love it. Also from the sound of it you are looking for a cat-back system. There are a lot of them out there

Last edited by 99gp; 10-31-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:46 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I would find a used dual exhaust system that is oem from a 4th gen ram. It will be much better than what 99% of local exhaust shops will do. oem is stainless steel and mandrel bends. local exhaust shop will almost certainly be mild steel and crush bends. Then just swap the muffler out. straight through mufflers are best for performance, and more volume makes it quieter.

Nothing you're doing has an effect on warranty(except the aftermarket exhaust parts will not be covered).

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Brilliant Black Pearl
Rep:10
sneed45 is on a distinguished road

What do you think something like that would cost me installed and out the door?
Old 11-01-2012, 01:17 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I think people sell the used oem dual muffler, tailpipes, and tips for something like $200 usually. You could easily install that yourself in your driveway with no special tools. Then go to an exhaust shop and have them swap the muffler. They would probably charge you something like $100 for the muffler(say maybe magnaflow) and probably less than $100 for labor. Or you could buy the mufflex kit(uses a magnaflow) and bolt the muffler on yourself. It's a little over $200 IIRC for the mufflex kit. At that point though....maybe look for a magnaflow or similar cat back kit because I think they can be had for ~$500+ and if you are spending ~$400+ on used stuff maybe the kit would be a better option for you.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.