DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-08-2012, 11:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1999 dodge ram sport
Trim Level: sport
Color: blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
bigpapa85 is on a distinguished road
Default help please

my 99 ram sport 5.9 . i just bought the truck a week ago and it was a 2 1/2 hr drive home . truck ran like new till i was a few blocks from home and it started to shutter . so i did a complete tune up on it due to check engine light said miss fire in cylinder 8 . that did nothing i found the intake leaking so i did the whole intake and plenum gasket . truck ran perfect for two days till i took a 15 mile trip yeastier day down the high way running 65 mph . out of nowhere it started backfiring and shutting again and before long light was back on for miss fire in cylinder 8 . now my rpm at idle is high . with the motor running there is like weird sound its almost like a watch ticking sound and a smell of raw fuel out the exhaust . so i swapped injector wires for 8 & 6 and it started way better even tho idle was still up there and it started poring a lot of moister and black chunks out the tail pipe . do you guys thank its a bad injector or valve . thanks for the help guys
Sponsored links
Old 10-08-2012, 11:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

If you suspect a leaking injector, try this: Pull the injector rail out as an assembly, leaving the fuel line attached. Pressurize the fuel system and check for leaking injectors. If you have access to a scan tool with bi-directional controls, actuate each injector and check the spray pattern.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:19 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

well just giving a update . it was the injector got a new one at work and did a swap and truck runs like new . pic of the injector if you every have to do your intake pay close attention to your injectors if any look like this swap out why the intake is off its easier
Old 10-13-2012, 12:22 AM

Vehicle: 2003 dodge ram 1500 reg cab
Trim Level: SLT Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:155
99gp has a spectacular aura about99gp has a spectacular aura about

Glad you got your problem figured out
Old 10-13-2012, 11:21 PM

Vehicle: 95 & 98 1500 Ram 4x4s
Trim Level: SLT & Sport
Color: 1 Blk,1 Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:36
Screamintrashcan is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info, big papa, I may try this on my 98, I was going to let it retire out on the back 40, with its #8 miss, needing balljoints, and rust issues, but if I could get that eng running right again, I might put it back on the road in the spring. I had bought all the sheet metal, however, I then got this miss thing... You say its tough replacing the injectors with the intake installed, eccch. Haven't had much time to look into this, but if I get some slow time, I'll check it out. That under the hood work doesn't appeal to me since bypass surgery, Kind of getting tough to be a motorhead anymore. The mind is willing, the body is getting resistant.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Its not to hard of a job two bolts per side and some man power to get the rail out lol . What makes it hard for me was the fact i just got done working all day and it was around 11 pm when i got out there to do it .Also the fact i am only 5.4 and have to sit under the hood lol . Now this did fix my mane problem of back firing and bucking all over the place tell yesterday . I was on my way to my father inlaws when i was running around 70 mph and it started bucking again and now throwing a code for misfire is 1 and 8 but only when hitting that speed other then that the trucks still runs like a new truck with no problems . I did recheck the ohms in the injectors all 8 and they read 13 each so all working right now . I also rechecked the intake and all is dry and clean . i also took it to a shop and had the lifters checked and all is good there compression every cylinder holds around 168 psi . at this point i thank its a bad cat or o2 sensor or maybe something to do with the tb spacer the last po had installed . also even tho the truck is running like new and has a lot more power then it did the day i bought it i still don't have the power to spin the tires and there stock size tires witch it should spin with out a problem . If anybody else has an ideal shoot it at me and i can give it a try and if i come up with the complete answer i will post back what it was
Old 10-15-2012, 10:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

well i found the source of my miss fire and its sounds strange and weird lol . i swear its the last thing i would of ever thought . why i was playing around trying to find the source i had the motor running and was playing with things . at this point i was reeving the motor and when i looked down i seen my belt jumping around and skipping when the rpm was up there . i took a wrench and sure an-oft my tensioner was not pulling the belt tight . well since i put a new one on the truck has been perfect . lol maybe one day this will help someone
Old 11-02-2012, 08:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 97 ram
Trim Level: RCSB sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Oldskoolram is on a distinguished road

Thats cool man,I would have never thought of that either. But hey your truck should not have any trouble breaking the tires loose,mine is a 97 rcsb and its very eager to break the tires loose,just wish i had some posi back there so im not rasting just one tire lol.do you have any exhaust or other mods done?