DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 1ST Generation Dodge Ram 1993 & Older Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 1st Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

View Poll Results: Did you find this useful?
Yes 2 100.00%
No 0 0%
N/A 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-01-2012, 09:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Rep:10
alternatorpros is on a distinguished road
Default Dodge Ram Alternator Issues

Hey everyone! I wanted to come here today for 2 reasons. I spoke to someone who had a 2009 Dodge RAM Pickup 6.7L Diesel with an alternator issue and two, to help all Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep owners every where get some general knowledge that they might not already know.

Let em give everyone who is lame about engine electrical a little info about how an alternator works and the 2 main types of car/truck alternators. First, All cars/trucks are designed to run off of the car/trucks batteries NOT the alternator. Second, if your battery is not fully charged you can damage a good alternator. So an to anyone who doesn't know an alternator runs, it either runs off of the vehicles v-belts system or serpentine belt system. Alternators have 2 mains types of regulators, internal and external regulators. Internal regulators are in the alternator where as external regulators are found either on a car/trucks firewalls(early Chrysler products-about 1990ish) OR inside of the car/trucks E.C.U.(electrical control unit). Whether the alternator is controlled internal or external the purpose of it is to regulate the amount of VOLT's the alternator charges the battery is at which should be between 13.5 and 14.5 volts (+ or - .4).

Now since all this is very boring to get to why this all matters for Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep owners!

The majority of all Chrysler products have been manufactured with alternators that are EXTERNALLY REGULATED(95%). This means that if you do not get your alternator bench tested(tested off the car/truck) by a reputable company that can test an alternator that is externally regulated, there is a good chance that if your having an alternator issue, it might not be the alternator! What it could be is depending on year of car/truck either a regulator on the firewall OR your E.C.U may need to be replaced.

Well to get back to my caller who called me today regarding his 2009 Dodge RAM 2500 6.7L. First off he was under the impression that his alternator whether it was the Bosch part#'s0-124-525-129, 0-124-525-156 of Nippondenso part #'s421000-0510, 421000-0512, that his alternator was controlled by a P.C.M. controlled INTERNAL regulator, this is UNTRUE! These alternators only have a terminal block and controlled by the E.C.U. of the trucks they fit into. The second part I am looking for some more info on an that is supposedly there is a manufacture flaw in the electrical system and he was saying Dodge didn't put a large enough amperage alternator in truck and that the glow plugs pulled 195amps in the winter. If this is true, Heavy-Duty Alternators are available that could help compensate this problem. Please if you have any info regarding this "glow-plug issue" please respond to this thread.

Hope people find this info helpful and if anyone out there has a Dodge alternator or Dodge starter question please feel free to respond to this thread or contact me directly.

Also if you need help finding a local company that could test your alternator on a bench please let me know and I would be glad to help!

Last edited by brad12kx; 11-01-2012 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Remove company reference
Sponsored links
Old 11-02-2012, 10:10 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Ram trucks don't use a glow plug system, they use heating elements on the intake manifold. Below is that description of operation that comes directly from Dodge. While I don't have exact numbers for the amperage draw, I do know that the element on-times range between 10 and 30 seconds.

OPERATION

The air heater element is used to heat incoming air to the intake manifold. This is done to help engine starting and improve driveability with cool or cold outside temperatures.
Electrical supply for the air heater element is controlled by the Engine Control Module (ECM) through the air heater relay. Refer to Intake Manifold Air Heater Relay for more information.
A heavy-duty cable connects the air heater element to the air heater relay. This cable will supply 12–volts to an individual heating element within the heater block assembly.
If the intake manifold temperature is above 66.09 degrees Fahrenheit, the wait-to-start lamp will not illuminate. Consequently, the intake air heater element will not be activated.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1993 Dodge D250
Trim Level: Club cab 2w drive
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-1995 359ci (5.9L) Cummins 12-valve Diesel I6 175hp 420lb/ft(manual), 160hp 400lb/ft(auto)
Rep:10
smitfire is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to smitfire

Hello i`m a newbe and a problem with my alternator it is only supplying 10 volts and therefore not charging the battery ,my truck a 1993 diesel D250 has of course the regulator in the ecu , but I read somewhere that it is possible to install an external regulator and disconnecting the ecu function for this ,
please let me know if this is possible , and how to do this