DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
HemiRam is on a distinguished road
Default Bilsteins Set to 2.8 with 4x4 Wobble.

Hi, I just recently installed Bilsteins and had them set to 2.8 with 285/65/20 BFG A/T's. I had done a bunch of research here, And new I could end up with this wobble at 2.8 setting. Needless to say I ended up with the Wobble under 4x4 acceleration! My question is, what would be the long term effects of leaving the shocks at this setting? As I don't use 4x4 that much if at all, In the summer. I only use it in the winter on snow covered roads in the 4x4 Auto setting. If there is going to be some sort of wear or damage to me CV joints or other parts in the 2.8 setting, I have no problem getting them switched to the 2.1 setting. Otherwise I really like the look the way it is now. Thanks for any input.
Sponsored links
Old 11-02-2012, 12:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge ram
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:81
1500ram12 will become famous soon enough

the only long term issue could be premature wear on you cv joints. I haven't brushed up on this wobble topic in a while but from what I remember it had something to do with the front drive shaft and creating a vibration due to the new angle its at. Some had said just by unbolting one and and rotating it about 180 degrees it went away.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:51 PM

Could you explain what you mean by un-bolt one and turn 180 degrees? So for longevity sake I should drop it to 2.1 then? Has anyone ever reported having the wobble with the shocks set to 2.1?
Old 11-02-2012, 07:20 PM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram CC 4X4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: PX8 Black
Rep:1769
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

You will have premature wear on the CV's but if you don't use it much, you will be ok.
Plus if you are using it winter or on snow, you will not be accelerating as quickly as your are right now testing it on dry pavement.

You can always drop it down to 2.1 if you are worried.
100% Guaranteed to work or we will replace it for free!
Old 11-02-2012, 08:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Sport
Color: Maximum Steel Metallic
Rep:898
primo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to behold

i forget where i read it, but someone made a comment about testing the 4x4 for the wobble whichh i thought was a good observation.

4x4 is not supposed to be used on dry pavement...did you test on the dry pavement? if so the wobble you describe might actually be the binding of the 4x4 because of the use on dry pavement.

also, did you test in in the "auto" function. i also recall that guys with the "auto" function were the ones experiencing the wobble (as dodge has 2 different 4x4 systems in the trucks..one with auto and one without). not sure if that is the case, but i thought it was interesting that they could be related.
2014 Dodge Ram 4X4 Sport, BakFlip F1 cover, Weathertech DigiFit Liners, BedRug bed mat, PIAA Extreme White Fog Bulbs, ProComp 2.5" / 1.5" Nitro Level Lift, Zone Off Road Upper Control Arms, ProComp 5050 20" -12 offset, MT Deagan 38 35x12.5.20, iron Cross Step Bars, DeeZee Tail Gate Strut

I am the heir to the primo spaghetti sauce fortune!
Old 11-02-2012, 09:24 PM

My testing was done on wet pavement in 4x4 lock, but I do have the 4x4 auto function. I didn't think it would work in the auto setting because I thought the rear tires would have to slip before the fronts would kick in? Under normal accel I did not get wobble only under moderate to hard accel. Then after about 60kms/hr it goes away. I have no other issues at all, ride is great at every speed, turning lock to lock is no issue, mind you I have not tried that in 4x4. No clicking from the CV's just the darn wobble. The shop that I had install them is recommending I keep this setting till the snow falls and test it then and if the problem persists in the snow, then lower to 2.1. I just don't want to do any damage.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:50 PM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram CC 4X4
Color: PX8 Black
Rep:1769
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiRam View Post
My testing was done on wet pavement in 4x4 lock, but I do have the 4x4 auto function. I didn't think it would work in the auto setting because I thought the rear tires would have to slip before the fronts would kick in? Under normal accel I did not get wobble only under moderate to hard accel. Then after about 60kms/hr it goes away. I have no other issues at all, ride is great at every speed, turning lock to lock is no issue, mind you I have not tried that in 4x4. No clicking from the CV's just the darn wobble. The shop that I had install them is recommending I keep this setting till the snow falls and test it then and if the problem persists in the snow, then lower to 2.1. I just don't want to do any damage.
This sounds normal to me man!
It's exactly what everyone feels.
The wobble will happen only under hard acceleration and in 4wd
No one accelerates hard when stuck or in snow.
100% Guaranteed to work or we will replace it for free!
Old 11-03-2012, 11:37 AM

Vehicle: 2011 RAM 1500 sport
Trim Level: sport
Color: white
joelwalls is on a distinguished road

i too am one of these people with the wobble issue i think if someone were to design a drop bracket for the front front end to keep the angles more acceptable thet would solve our problems and make a fourtune
Old 11-03-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelwalls View Post
i too am one of these people with the wobble issue i think if someone were to design a drop bracket for the front front end to keep the angles more acceptable thet would solve our problems and make a fourtune

Are yours set at 2.8 or 2.1? I'm seriously considering having mine dropped to 2.1 on Monday. I haven't read anything about having the wobble on that setting.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:05 PM

Vehicle: 2011 RAM 1500 sport
Trim Level: sport
Color: white
joelwalls is on a distinguished road

they are set at 2.8 with a rear 1.5 spacer had same problem with 3" level blocks changed to bilstiens saw better angles less wobble but still there i am cosidering trying the kore high angle cv but they are pricey! but for now i dont drive it alot cause i work alot so just gonna leave it as is its really not enough of on issue to me to change it i know a few guys locally doin the same pllus i put 35 inch tires on so i need the hieght hahahaha