DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old Yesterday, 02:54 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:10
cc rider is on a distinguished road
Default rambox and fifth wheel

Ok, so i have been looking up info to see if these two will work together. there is a lot of conflicting information on the web. Some say that it wont and thats why ram doesnt offer them together. I did see that you cant do a build with both. Some say it will work with the right hitch. What I would like is proof. That I cant find. Proof would be a pic of the 5er turned at an extreme point showing no damage to the rambox. Anybody here have this setup?
Sponsored links
Old Yesterday, 11:03 AM
Watch it crash and burn

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT 4x4
Color: Silver/ Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:2793
Canadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond repute

I have never actually seen a truck with ramboxes towing a fifth wheel. I work at an rv dealership, and we have not even had a rambox truck come in for install or picking up a fifth wheel, just tow behinds. It would have to be a special hitch that accomodates for the narrower box. Fifth wheels have the rails that will mount to the frame which may need to be shorter or come modified to fit. the other problem would be the handle for the hitch. All of ours have a fairly long handle for the slider fifth wheel hitch and the basic style ones. I don't see if being a problem of crushing the box sides, I see it being a problem of actually installing a hitch.

When we got our 2014 3500 Cummins, there actually wasn't a fifth wheel hitch available at the time. Ram was going to design an in house fifth wheel hitch mount set up because they changed the some stuff from the 2013, which caused aftermarket hitches not to fit. We had to wait a few months for Reese to come out with a proper bracket and rail system. Then paired it with a HD husky slider fifth wheel hitch.
Tow mirrors up for the haters
Old Yesterday, 05:10 PM

But the floor of the bed isn't narrower. It's the area to the side of the wheel wells that are narrower right? Cause u can still get a sheet of plywood in there from what I have read.so why would the rails be the problem.
Old Yesterday, 06:08 PM
Watch it crash and burn

Canadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc rider View Post
But the floor of the bed isn't narrower. It's the area to the side of the wheel wells that are narrower right? Cause u can still get a sheet of plywood in there from what I have read.so why would the rails be the problem.
That is correct, my bad, sorry for the wrong information. Been spending alot of time studying last few days and got me a little out of it. It would all just be tighter compared to a standard box.

I did some research and found on some of the Cummins forums, people using fifth wheels with their ramboxes. It all comes down to the kingpin size and how tall your fifth wheel hitch is. There are people that have had hitches which didn't work, and others that did work. Reese Sidewinder and the B&W companion seem to work with the cummins with ramboxes.

Here is one with the B&W towing a heartland cyclone.
Old Yesterday, 07:04 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2616
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I just looked at those images
you sure would not want to hit any bump while turning sharply without easing it slowly
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old Yesterday, 07:12 PM
Watch it crash and burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
I just looked at those images
you sure would not want to hit any bump while turning sharply without easing it slowly
I agree.

You can find some trailer with a different kingpin set up. I know Open Range has a different style designed to work with smaller beds which sits really high compared to normal fifth wheel kingpins.
Here is a picture showing it. I think this may work better with the ram boxes as it generally sits higher. They are also designed to work better with short boxes and such by being pushed out from the nose of the trailer.
Old Yesterday, 11:13 PM

Thanks a lot c.h.p. that pic was exactly what I was looking for. I would rather not have the ramboxes then have a limited choice of toy haulers to choose from. I don't see height being an issue since the ram boxes are the same height as any tailgate, in other words they don't add height to the bed. The shorter the arm on the kingpin the better I would assume so u don't crush the side of the bed. Or the higher the better like u said to clear everything. The handle for the hitch is another concern.
Old Yesterday, 11:26 PM

Thanks for all the replies. So another question do you think they would do a special order and give me the rambox and the fifth wheel tow package prep From the factory if I order a truck.(Just so I don't have to get it done somewhere else) Thanks
Old Yesterday, 11:46 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 CC Big Horn 4x4
Color: Dark Cherry Red
jimmerz is on a distinguished road

Are you towing a 5th wheel with a 1500?
Old Today, 12:54 AM

LOL. No. I had a Toy hauler , but not a 5er . Im looking to trade my 1500 and get a 1 ton (if all goes good).My truck is on Craigslist and cargurus right now. I sold my TH. i have to get another one. Just doing research right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmerz View Post
Are you towing a 5th wheel with a 1500?