How do you feel about?... - DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum
DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum > LD RAM - Ram 1500 Forum > LD RAM - General Discussion

Notices

LD RAM - General Discussion RAM 1500 General Chat. Please post your tech questions in the HELP Zone!

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!

Old 01-12-2018, 10:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT AWD
Color: Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
TheChinlander is on a distinguished road
Default How do you feel about?...

How do you guys feel about the use of seafoam, injector cleaners, "miracle" oil treatments. yada yada yada. I feel as if a lot of people really believe in the stuff, but do any products really actually work? ive also heard some can do more harm than good. What do you guys think? and if you do support any products, which ones are good and what for?? Discuss!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2018, 10:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
bengreen79 is on a distinguished road

I've had good luck with Lucas Oil in a couple different vehicles to slow down oil burning. They both had over 250,000 miles on them and still ran when I got rid of them. One was a 90's Dakota with a 3.9L and the other was a 96 Chevy K1500 with a 350.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:07 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2016 Ram Ecodiesel 2 whl drive
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2964
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

The dealership & the better garages use a chemical blend to clean the fuel injectors, they call it Fuel Injector Cleaner
The dealership also told me that the Fuel Injector Cleaner process cleans out the Throttle Body & that is complete B.S.
Nothing but air ever passes through the Throttle Body, although it does need cleaning with a chemical, brushes & rags. It is best done by removing it from the intake manifold

When i had my HEMI, i used to pour Sea Foam into the gas tank every couple of tankfuls
I would never put it in the Motor Oil

Old 01-13-2018, 04:49 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 09 Dodge 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
ColdCanuck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChinlander View Post
I feel as if a lot of people really believe in the stuff, but do any products really actually work? ive also heard some can do more harm than good.
You betcha. Auto parts stores have shelves lined with hundreds of these magic products because... people buy it! A lot of it! Does all this stuff actually work? That's a question that you'll likely never get a straight answer to as it gets bogged down in the testimonials and anecdotes. One of the more notorious, Slick-50, faded into obscurity only after the TM holder of the product's magic ingredient went after the manufacturer in court. Personally, I stay away from most of this stuff unless it's recommended by the manufacturer or is otherwise validated by a reputable source and that generally don't include Utube and internet forums.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:54 AM

Vehicle: 2017 Longhorn Limited
Trim Level: all of it
Color: maximum steel metallic
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:26
Magna is on a distinguished road

Top tier fuel occasionally is fine for todays modern vehicles but on older vehicles and motorcycles that have carburetors I use Seafoam. It displaces water acts as a stabilizer and keeps the fuel bowls from gumming up, jmo.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:19 AM

Vehicle: 2016
Rep:53
pacofortacos will become famous soon enough

A "good" fuel injection cleaner most definitely works.
Using an oscilloscope, I have seen it drop the voltage required to fire the spark plug almost in half. Mopar used to make one years ago, not sure if it is available still today.

Today I used Techron or Gumout w/Regane every 2 years with fuel injection. Seafoam or similar with carbs as it is not as strong.

For oil, I have used Rislone for a gentle cleaning on higher mileage motors every now and then. It will quiet sticking lifters.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:44 AM

Vehicle: 2017 RAM 1500
Rep:27
ChrisBigHorn17 is on a distinguished road

To take the question a little further - if one uses top tier gas only, is an extra "cleaner" in the tank (like Seafoam, Techron, etc) even necessary?

(not counting cleaning the throttle body, which I know should be done since nothing gets in there to clean by itself)
Old 01-13-2018, 11:51 AM

Vehicle: 15 BigHorn Ecodiesel
Trim Level: Big Horn CC
Color: Granite Crystal
Rep:273
namretsud is a jewel in the roughnamretsud is a jewel in the roughnamretsud is a jewel in the rough

Seafoam works very well. Convinced a co-worker to use it on his old company Winstar that he was putting back on the road as he needed a second vehicle. He took it in and it failed the e-test miserably. Told him to put seafoam in the tank and go for a long drive. He put on about 400kms that weekend and took it in for a re-test doing nothing else and it passed with flying colors. The Seafoam was the only difference.

Seafoam added to the engine oil before an oil change works to clean any sludge build up. Pour half a can in, go for a 15 minute drive and drain and change oil. Even the oil cap is clean. Also change your PCV at this change.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:07 PM

Vehicle: 2016
Rep:53
pacofortacos will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBigHorn17 View Post
To take the question a little further - if one uses top tier gas only, is an extra "cleaner" in the tank (like Seafoam, Techron, etc) even necessary?

(not counting cleaning the throttle body, which I know should be done since nothing gets in there to clean by itself)

Probably less often, but I go by the theory of it is easier to keep something clean than to clean it after it is dirty.
I tend to put it in the tank the day before taking a trip, short run to circulate and then burn it out the next day. That way it gets a few hours of soak time but not an excessive time.

I also use the cheapest fuel generally as most 87 fuel is crap no matter the brand - well that and most of the good additives are in the premium fuel not even the 89 octane for the most part.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:25 PM

Vehicle: 2017 RAM 1500
Rep:27
ChrisBigHorn17 is on a distinguished road

Thanks. Ill probably use Techron around every oil change (6 months)

Ive started just getting premium fuel from Costco....as of today, their 93 octane price was about 2 cents higher per gallon than Shell 89 octane. Costco is good about advertising that their fuel is Top Tier, so it should be just about as good as Shell.
Advertisement