DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-04-2012, 05:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1999 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: light driftwoo/ aka sliver
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
99sliverram is on a distinguished road
Default PO505 code

I'm a new member. I have a 1999 Ram 1500, 5.9 4x4 112,000 miles. Last sunday I went to leave my house. I started the truck and drove away. I made it about 50 yards and the truck died in the street.
I ran the codes and got a PO505. I didsome research and found one of the common reasons is th IAC motor. I found a "test" clearing the code and removing the IAC and starting the truck. If the check engine doesn't come back it is the IAC that is the problem. Since I didn't seen and damaged wiring and the check engine light came back after putting the IAC back on the throttle body I went with the IAC being the problem and replaced on tuesday of this week.
When I got the new IAC put on, I started the truck and it barely ran at all. I drove it around the block and pulled in my driveway it dies and would not even attempt to run. But it never got the check engine light to come on. I put the old IAC back on and the truck started and idled. Not great but it would run with out my reving the motor to stay running like with the new IAC. But with the old IAC back in the check enigne came back.
Yesterday (sat) I drove a total of 50 miles round trip to replace my water pump (which decided to start leaking tuesday after the new IAC was put on). The truck had the check engine light at day, but it ran fine.
So bring me to sunday. I go out this morning to go wash the truck. I start the truck and let it idle which it does for about 10 mins to top of coolant from yeterdays wp install. After the 10 mins I pull the truck out of the driveway and as soon as I got to the stop sign (50 yeard away) the truck dided. It took about 5 mins of cranking the starter and hitting th gas when the truck would fire to keep it alive before the truck could be drive back home (no idling just reving to keep running.
I have read that low voltage caused by a bad battery or alternator could cause problems with these trucks. So I had both checked and they are fine.
To make things weired I went out after letting the truck site for 2 hours and the truck started and idled just fine. THere is still a check engine light. But it ran well enough to drive 25 miles of stop and go and starting 4 more times.
I'm running out of options. I had a 2000 Ram before this truck with 170,000 miles that had a dead injector issue due a bad pcm. I got a pcm and the truck was never the same so I sold it. I don't want to sell this truck.
I would greatly appreciate input from someone familar with this issue.
Thank you
Sponsored links
Old 11-04-2012, 11:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 95 & 98 1500 Ram 4x4s
Trim Level: SLT & Sport
Color: 1 Blk,1 Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:36
Screamintrashcan is on a distinguished road

I'd put the new component on, and before starting, I'd reboot the ECU, then start it up and see what gives. Key to IGN, disconnect neg cable, turn key OFF, reconnect battery.