DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-06-2012, 10:14 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2008 Ram Hemi
Trim Level: Lonestar
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:296
BlackHemI is a jewel in the roughBlackHemI is a jewel in the roughBlackHemI is a jewel in the rough

brad, good points, the video is awesome ive watched it multiple times.
14" magnaflow with custom magna y-pipe, 8k heads and fogs, hella FF 500's, 5% tint all the way, 60" LED brake light, Smoked tails and 3rd, Ballistic Jesters in 275/55/20 zeon ltz, color matched handles/mirrors, painted calipers, L.E.D interior, debadged & Viper 5901, 180 t-stat
Sponsored links
Old 11-06-2012, 11:14 AM

Vehicle: 2012 2500 Mega 4x4 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:73
Bikenut will become famous soon enough

I agree that modern turbos are quite reliable.

regarding twins on a 6, look at the 300z, it had no real issues that Im aware of and was fast as F.

I had my turbo diesel programmed, full exhaust w/ no cat or muffler and ran the piss out of it with never an issue...

Oh ya, F' Ford and their eco-boost Ill keep my NA lifetime warranty Hemi

Retro-Soutions 55W HIDs - Firestone 5K Airbags -
18" Magnaflow - integrated electric tailgate lock and EZ-Down kit - Cabin air filter retrofit - $79 Catch Can - KORE leveling kit and Bilsteins front and rear
Old 11-06-2012, 11:33 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Cummins 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: Red
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L HO) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 245hp 505lb/ft (6-Speed Manual)
Rep:326
the persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the rough

As you can tell, I'm a big fan of the Ecoboost. Ford did something innovative for fuel economy and still made impressive power.

Throw a down pipe and a tune on an Ecoboost and you can make an extra 90 rwhp.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:48 AM

Vehicle: 2012 ram 1500
Trim Level: big horn
Color: black
Rep:14
blacknchromehemi is on a distinguished road

well my bro has an ecoboost and we have raced a few times and everytime we are within a truck length of eachother until one of us lets off usally whoever is in front but it seems i win every other time and he wins everyother time i think they are pretty equal in power but he does average 1.2mpg better than me
Old 11-06-2012, 11:50 AM

Vehicle: 2012 ram 1500
Trim Level: big horn
Color: black
Rep:14
blacknchromehemi is on a distinguished road

run your truck against an 08 with the 5.4 you win everytime i used to have an 04 f150 and my brother had a 04 ram with the hemi he would always win
Old 11-06-2012, 12:00 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:360
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

I gotta agree that the Ecoboost seems to be a well executed truck. People want to keep comparing them to our Dodges (because Dodge has set the bar for powerful half ton gas pickups for some time now) but the truth is that there is no comparison. Ford has done something new and Dodge doesn't have anything to compare to the Ecoboost. Comparing a twin turbo six to a NA eight is not comparing apples to apples. I'm not saying that the Ford is a better truck...I'm just saying it's an entirely different truck. And as has been said, throwing a turbo on two on a hemi Ram does not make them equal either, lol.

IMO Chrysler/Dodge/Ram has come a long way in quality but they still aren't up to the level that Ford has been at for years. That's sure to get some hateful comments but I'm just calling it like I see it. I love my Ram and would love a brand new one even better but if I were looking to buy a new or nearly new truck right this moment I would drive and evaluate both and then make my decision. I feel like the Ford has earned my consideration at the least.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:18 PM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black on Black
Rep:47
gusman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by starquestbd22 View Post
I gotta agree that the Ecoboost seems to be a well executed truck. People want to keep comparing them to our Dodges (because Dodge has set the bar for powerful half ton gas pickups for some time now) but the truth is that there is no comparison. Ford has done something new and Dodge doesn't have anything to compare to the Ecoboost. Comparing a twin turbo six to a NA eight is not comparing apples to apples. I'm not saying that the Ford is a better truck...I'm just saying it's an entirely different truck. And as has been said, throwing a turbo on two on a hemi Ram does not make them equal either, lol.

IMO Chrysler/Dodge/Ram has come a long way in quality but they still aren't up to the level that Ford has been at for years. That's sure to get some hateful comments but I'm just calling it like I see it. I love my Ram and would love a brand new one even better but if I were looking to buy a new or nearly new truck right this moment I would drive and evaluate both and then make my decision. I feel like the Ford has earned my consideration at the least.
Agreed, seems like dodge is always a step behind ford, and I for one am a huge Ford hater. But my 08 cummins vs my buddy's 08 powerjoke... interior wise, ford is lightyears ahead. Exterior styling, still they win.. The 6.4 powerjokes are fast freaking trucks but brand loyalty and the cummins heritage convinced me to go with the dodge.

Back on topic, my buddy has a loaded ecoterd and no real problems. Certainly not getting the advertised mpg but neither do any of us.. Nice trucks, innovative, and if you're not looking for that v8 rumble, then not a bad choice for a half ton gasser.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:19 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:636
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

before the pentastar engine was released, i had read somewhere it was designed so a turbo can be added with out a redesign. i am thinking we will see this in a ram in a few years. we will have to see how this ecoboost holds up and how much repairs are going to cost. wouldn't worry about the twin turbo, unless they used cheap bearings, i would worry about the di and carbon build up.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:37 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Cummins 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: Red
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L HO) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 245hp 505lb/ft (6-Speed Manual)
Rep:326
the persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the rough

Carbon buildup shouldn't be nearly as bad as diesels. The Cummins 6.7 has had sticking turbo vane issues for years.

With 19k on the odometer, I will say I'm impressed with my parent's eco boost's fuel economy. It is the first truck I have seen that actually achieves its EPA rated fuel economy.

Hell, I'd be happy to get close to the 12 city, 17 highway that my Ram is supposed to get. I just went on a 2 hour round trip drive and I got 13 MPG going 65 and under on the highway.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:47 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:636
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

persuader, thats some lousy mpg for flat texas, is that hand calc?