DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum


Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!


Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-05-2012, 06:09 PM
Jubbee Jubbee is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Dryden
Age: 53
Posts: 5
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
Jubbee is on a distinguished road
Default U connect question

I have a 2011 Ram 1500 that has a RES radio in it when I press the u-connect it says (not equiped) is there somewhere I can purchase a fix for this or do I have to go to the dealer?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2  
Old 11-05-2012, 06:13 PM
RansRAM's Avatar
RansRAM RansRAM is offline
Addicted to the Z


 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Age: 55
Posts: 12,524
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep Power: 15
Rep:2471
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute
Default

That's what it displays when you don't have the external Uconnect module The Uconnect module is an extra and not included with the RES radio. (at least not for my 2010).
__________________
New Signature Pic Pending
Shorty Antenna, Recon 3rd Brake & Xtreme LightBar, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, MOPAR Valve Caps, Lighted RAM hitch cover, Tints (20% frt),Bug deflector, LED Interior Lights,.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-06-2012, 10:02 AM
xsdbs xsdbs is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Over Here, Hi
Age: 54
Posts: 801
Gender: Male
Vehicle: green flying carpet
Trim Level: upper and lower
Rep Power: 0
Rep:73
xsdbs will become famous soon enough
Default

Go online and look for the Mopar kit PN 82212159, this will be the module, harness, mic and instructions. You'll also want to get the USB / iPod cable PN 82212160. Once the kit is installed , call around to find a dealer to flash the vehicle for code "RSP". Some dealers will try to charge you &100 but it takes about 15 minutes and some will do it for about $50.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-06-2012, 01:26 PM
Jubbee Jubbee is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Dryden
Age: 53
Posts: 5
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
Jubbee is on a distinguished road
Default

Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-07-2012, 01:47 PM
dkerr24 dkerr24 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central OK
Age: 54
Posts: 307
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Dk Cherry Red
Rep Power: 0
Rep:14
dkerr24 is on a distinguished road
Default

If the final cost is over $200-300, I wouldn't even bother with it. The uConnect system is at best buggy and SLOW AS MOLASSES. Mine takes a good 15-20 mins to read the files on my USB flash drive. And to make matters worse, it RESETS each time you switch off the truck, forcing you to do another 15-20 min scan before you can use the voice commands.

Darin
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-08-2012, 12:17 PM
xsdbs xsdbs is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Over Here, Hi
Age: 54
Posts: 801
Gender: Male
Vehicle: green flying carpet
Trim Level: upper and lower
Rep Power: 0
Rep:73
xsdbs will become famous soon enough
Default

1) I'm not sure about the system being slow or buggy. I really don't have issues with my system. Yes there are somethings that I would like to be a bit quicker but it's not like it's killing me. I understand the system and also the amount of information that is going on between the module, & phone, iPod or TD. There's actually a lot going on.


2) This can be a thumb drive issue, I have seen the same files on 1 TD read slower than the same files on a different TD.
It will re-read the drive to compare the content. Uconnect doesn't know if you have added or deleted any of the content while the ign was turned off.
How many songs, what is the GB size and what brand TD are you using?




Quote:
Originally Posted by dkerr24 View Post
If the final cost is over $200-300, I wouldn't even bother with it. The uConnect system is at best buggy and SLOW AS MOLASSES. Mine takes a good 15-20 mins to read the files on my USB flash drive. And to make matters worse, it RESETS each time you switch off the truck, forcing you to do another 15-20 min scan before you can use the voice commands.

Darin
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-09-2012, 02:13 PM
dkerr24 dkerr24 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central OK
Age: 54
Posts: 307
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Dk Cherry Red
Rep Power: 0
Rep:14
dkerr24 is on a distinguished road
Default

Hi xsdbs -

It is a 32gb Kingston thumbdrive with ~ 20gb of music, each artist has its own folder in the root of the drive. I've tried with all the artists in a folder called 'music' and just dumping all the artists folders in the root. No difference in speed.

I just wish there was a way to keep the connection between the TB and head unit active even with the key off so that the TB doesn't have to be re-read each time. I wouldn't mind the 20 minute wait if I didn't have to do it but once.

Darin
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-09-2012, 03:26 PM
GTyankee's Avatar
GTyankee GTyankee is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Member

 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego East County, Ca
Posts: 19,071
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep Power: 20
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute
Default

xsdbs, i have a question for you
I read on a Wrangler site, one person stated:

-$99 or less gets you a Belkin Aux jack bluetooth adapter. One end goes into Aux, one end goes into a power source, and it's a big round button like the UConnect kit. Phone calls and bluetooth audio the simple way.

could this be true, or do you lose some functions ?

================================================== ===================
so it won't be taken out of context, here is the post:

duck87 says:

07:04 AM, 09/26/12


For those with an Aux jack, you have a couple of options if you don't want to go through this...

-$5 on eBay gets you a bluetooth audio module that feeds music to your Aux jack. These usually plug into a USB port, not for data but power. Pretty much an instant and cheapest way to stream bluetooth music from your phone

-$99 or less gets you a Belkin Aux jack bluetooth adapter. One end goes into Aux, one end goes into a power source, and it's a big round button like the UConnect kit. Phone calls and bluetooth audio the simple way.

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...adio.html#more

this blog also has a great how to for installing the kit into a Wrangler, he took many pix & the explanation of what & why is in detail
__________________
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 11-09-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-12-2012, 09:54 AM
xsdbs xsdbs is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Over Here, Hi
Age: 54
Posts: 801
Gender: Male
Vehicle: green flying carpet
Trim Level: upper and lower
Rep Power: 0
Rep:73
xsdbs will become famous soon enough
Default

After looking around, I found this Belkin piece.
1) Is it an alternative? Will it work? (yes)
2) Is it a good choice? (in my opinion, no)
3) why not?

A) It isn't automatic, what I mmean is that in order to use it, you have to be in the "AUX" mode in order to have a call go thru the stereo.
B) If you're listening to the radio or other media and decide that you want to make a call,, you need to reach over and switchthe radio to "AUX" mode, place the call. When you're done with the call, reach over and switch back to radio mode.
C) If you have an incoming call, the radio isn't muted and the call automatically routed thru the stereo. You have to swicth the radio to the "AUX" mode.
D) It doesn't have phonebook download, you have to either place the call by your memory for the phone number or pick up the phone, search for the contact, then place tthe call.
E) It's not trully a handsfree system and BT functions are basic with no advanced VR commands.
F) Belkin vs Uconnect, no comparison.
G) yes it is a cheaper alternative but you can still get a ticket for driver distraction with it.



Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
xsdbs, i have a question for you
I read on a Wrangler site, one person stated:

-$99 or less gets you a Belkin Aux jack bluetooth adapter. One end goes into Aux, one end goes into a power source, and it's a big round button like the UConnect kit. Phone calls and bluetooth audio the simple way.

could this be true, or do you lose some functions ?

================================================== ===================
so it won't be taken out of context, here is the post:

duck87 says:

07:04 AM, 09/26/12


For those with an Aux jack, you have a couple of options if you don't want to go through this...

-$5 on eBay gets you a bluetooth audio module that feeds music to your Aux jack. These usually plug into a USB port, not for data but power. Pretty much an instant and cheapest way to stream bluetooth music from your phone

-$99 or less gets you a Belkin Aux jack bluetooth adapter. One end goes into Aux, one end goes into a power source, and it's a big round button like the UConnect kit. Phone calls and bluetooth audio the simple way.

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...adio.html#more

this blog also has a great how to for installing the kit into a Wrangler, he took many pix & the explanation of what & why is in detail
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-12-2012, 02:22 PM
xsdbs xsdbs is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Over Here, Hi
Age: 54
Posts: 801
Gender: Male
Vehicle: green flying carpet
Trim Level: upper and lower
Rep Power: 0
Rep:73
xsdbs will become famous soon enough
Default

I have the Transcend 32 GB Thumb Drive, it contains 22.4 GB of music files and 5,165 tracks. It's taking about 4 minutes to read and about 4 more minutes for the library to be read and ready for VR commands. When I left the vehicle and came back it took less than a minute to read and then about a total of 8 minutes to use the VR library. In that 8 minutes, Uconnect is comparing the old files with the re read files to see if there were any added or removed tracks as well as making sure that the all the data still matched. You mmay want to look into a different TD. I have a 64 GB Lexar that I'm going to load up and test it also. Now the VR commands will only be supported with libraries up to about 9,500 - 10,000. Past that there are no VR commands, you can make selections maually only.


\
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkerr24 View Post
Hi xsdbs -

It is a 32gb Kingston thumbdrive with ~ 20gb of music, each artist has its own folder in the root of the drive. I've tried with all the artists in a folder called 'music' and just dumping all the artists folders in the root. No difference in speed.

I just wish there was a way to keep the connection between the TB and head unit active even with the key off so that the TB doesn't have to be re-read each time. I wouldn't mind the 20 minute wait if I didn't have to do it but once.

Darin
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Advertisement






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:45 PM.


= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors


=Gigathreads Network=
CLUBS MOPAR NATION DSM GPMM MAMM JAM
DIESEL Diesel Forum      
CHEVY Chevy Camaro Forum Chevy Volt Forum    
CHRYSLER Chrysler 300C Forum      
DODGE Dodge Avenger Forum Dodge Caliber Forum Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Charger Forum
  Dodge Circuit Forum Dodge Hornet Forum Dodge Magnum Forum Dodge Nitro Forum
  Dodge Ram Forum Dodge Dakota Forum Dodge Durango Forum Dodge Dart Forum
FORD Ford Raptor Forum Ford F150 Forum Ford F100 Forum  
JEEP Jeep Forum      
PONTIAC Pontiac G8 Forum      
SRT SRT Viper Forum SRT Cuda Forum