DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-06-2012, 03:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Express 3.6/8 speed auto
Trim Level: Express
Color: WHITE
Rep:902
oldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to behold
Default Started my 89 octane test

Truck had 1/4 tank 87 in it. So I added 5.5 gals 93 to make it close to 89 octane. Filled it up rest of way with 89 octane. Will be using Conoco Top Tier fuel instead of Shell. Conoco's 87,89 and 93 all have the same 10% ethanol and same percent detergent additives.
I am going to drive 1000 miles with the 89 to get good figures. Will fill up at end to eliminate fill up differences, will just add fuel as I go and keep track of gallons. The winter gas was already out so that should not factor in. Hopefully cold weather will stay away long enough for fair test.
We'll see...as this will be a hands on test.

Last edited by oldhp; 11-06-2012 at 04:00 PM. Reason: adding
Sponsored links
Old 11-06-2012, 04:14 PM

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhp View Post
Truck had 1/4 tank 87 in it. So I added 5.5 gals 93 to make it close to 89 octane. Filled it up rest of way with 89 octane. Will be using Conoco Top Tier fuel instead of Shell. Conoco's 87,89 and 93 all have the same 10% ethanol and same percent detergent additives.
I am going to drive 1000 miles with the 89 to get good figures. Will fill up at end to eliminate fill up differences, will just add fuel as I go and keep track of gallons. The winter gas was already out so that should not factor in. Hopefully cold weather will stay away long enough for fair test.
We'll see...as this will be a hands on test.
What exactly are you trying to figure out? I could probably make it much easier, cheaper, and faster for you.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:50 PM

oldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to behold

Because I run 87 octane with no problems.
Some posters say their Rams run better with 89 octane.
I've never given a long drive test to find out for myself.
So I'll see and let members know what, if any, differences I find.
Besides, I want to know if this fuel stuff is fact or fiction for my ride.
I like to know things, don't tell me it goes 140MPH, tell me what's under the hood and how it's built, what trans, what rear gear, etc.
My friends say I read too much, but my cars have always been faster and more driveable.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:38 PM

ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhp View Post
Because I run 87 octane with no problems.
Some posters say their Rams run better with 89 octane.
I've never given a long drive test to find out for myself.
So I'll see and let members know what, if any, differences I find.
Besides, I want to know if this fuel stuff is fact or fiction for my ride.
I like to know things, don't tell me it goes 140MPH, tell me what's under the hood and how it's built, what trans, what rear gear, etc.
My friends say I read too much, but my cars have always been faster and more driveable.
Well what altitude are you at and what altitude are your other friends at? Also each engine is slightly different, the driving habits make a big difference, how you take care of the engine. If you use excessive throttle then engine will be very clean internally because you burn out the carbon (italian tune up). But I cannot tell you which would run better, no fuel actually runs better it's which one doesn't exhibit ping and detonation, also the altitude which effects the cylinder pressure and the timing because the map sensor will notice a difference in atmospheric pressure and will do spark advance to bring up cylinder pressure, and it's only so accurate. As computerized as these things are, they are only so accurate. Anyways 89-91 will have a slower flame front, but depending on altitude if you are at sea level then you may have to use 89, if you tow you may have to use 89. So on so forth. But generally, what ever the manufacture recommends is what will run best because the ECM is calibrated to run on X octane. The only time that running on a higher octane will be better is if you're under a very high load. In engineering (as I am an engineering student and engineer), there isn't really any math that I can do that will say which is the correct octane to use, the only thing I can do when I design an engine is calculate what the approximate cylinder pressure and temperature is and select a fuel based on that to prevent detonation. But in real life, real time, there isn't any math because the temperature calculated is all based on constants and in real life there isn't any constants. In order for an engineer to select the best octane for real life, must put it on a dyno and try different octanes, different timing maps, so on. But if you want my opinion, if you keep the engine clean, run close to sea level, you will operate well within 87-89. There isn't much a difference between 87-89 octane other than about 50-125 degrees F, hard to say based on other factors such as ethanol content etc... Life is full of variables, isn't it fun?

But keeping it clean and running 87 will be best.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:13 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2463
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

The owners manual recommends 89 so that's what I use. I am interested in what you find out.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RansRAM View Post
The owners manual recommends 89 so that's what I use. I am interested in what you find out.
Well there we go than, 89. I am not a fan of the late Hemi engines, they just aren't right. I am surprised they would have to run 89 octane with all the aluminum parts. But the Hemi has a stock thermostat temp of it's 210? I don't know exactly but it's higher than the Fe engines.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:53 PM

Vehicle: 2012 ram
Rep:117
Red-Stripe will become famous soon enoughRed-Stripe will become famous soon enough

I think a common oversight of some posters, is to miss the fact that all you need to loose mileage from a lower octane is 1 hot spot in one cylinder. This can trigger the knock sensor, then all cylinders have a retarded spark timing. This is one of many examples of why some people get better mileage from higer octane fuel. All it takes is one slight mis-casting of a water passageway, and you can have a hot spot that triggers the sensor under the right conditions. Tht's why some people get better mileage with higher octane fuel, and others say it doesn't matter.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:16 PM

ramvan2500, Everybody lives around here so altitude is same. I build engine as a package including rear gear and tire height. It all has to work together.
750 double pump, huge cam, open plenium intake, 10 to 1 compression, 3.55 gears, 28" tall tires and it won't drive good around town. Hmmmm...
210* is for emissions.
It'll be interesting when these tuners come out.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:50 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Big Horn
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:56
DRsilverram will become famous soon enough

Dodge says 89, why not run 89??........cost difference is minimal. It runs
better on 89, probably better for the motor also.........lets all run 89 and
stop beating a dead horse topic.....89 OCTANE IS THE FUEL FOR YOUR
RAM.........
Old 11-06-2012, 09:37 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Black Ram 1500 Express
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
walc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRsilverram View Post
Dodge says 89, why not run 89??........cost difference is minimal. It runs
better on 89, probably better for the motor also.........lets all run 89 and
stop beating a dead horse topic.....89 OCTANE IS THE FUEL FOR YOUR
RAM.........
Amen.

If you don't want to use the recommended octane, which costs 15 cents more per gallon, why did you buy a 5.7L Hemi, which cost more than the 4.7L?