DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-09-2012, 10:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2004 Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Maroon
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
MorePower is on a distinguished road

Let me use a little experiment to help me explain my point. Get in your truck and roll the window down, go 100mph down the highway and stick your head out the window, and take a deep breath. The wind outside is going to force air into your sucker at a faster speed than you are inhaling it. Now go back inside the cab of the truck and do the same thing. The window is still open, air is still circulating through the cab, but now air is not being forced into your mouth when you inhale. Same exact thing as chefs intake compared to one under the hood.
Sponsored links
Old 11-09-2012, 10:34 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2008 Ram Hemi
Trim Level: Lonestar
Color: Black
Rep:296
BlackHemI is a jewel in the roughBlackHemI is a jewel in the roughBlackHemI is a jewel in the rough

lol better put a disclaimer on that one before some one tries it and gets pulled over or something lol. jk i get what you mean, and also ORT has one of the fastest trucks here too and he runs that set up. like i said, thats enough proof for me
14" magnaflow with custom magna y-pipe, 8k heads and fogs, hella FF 500's, 5% tint all the way, 60" LED brake light, Smoked tails and 3rd, Ballistic Jesters in 275/55/20 zeon ltz, color matched handles/mirrors, painted calipers, L.E.D interior, debadged & Viper 5901, 180 t-stat
Old 11-09-2012, 10:35 AM

BlackHemI is a jewel in the roughBlackHemI is a jewel in the roughBlackHemI is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad12kx View Post
And that is the measure 'WE' enthusiasts/racer use to determine the benefits of a product. Science can be used to explain 'why', but at the end of the day who cares as long as there are improvements in the end results that we were trying to achieve.
exactly, thank you Brad, who cares! it works!
14" magnaflow with custom magna y-pipe, 8k heads and fogs, hella FF 500's, 5% tint all the way, 60" LED brake light, Smoked tails and 3rd, Ballistic Jesters in 275/55/20 zeon ltz, color matched handles/mirrors, painted calipers, L.E.D interior, debadged & Viper 5901, 180 t-stat
Old 11-09-2012, 10:37 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

I fully agree the intake is great and is allowing the most possible air into the tb without completely removing the intake tube all together. In that case the permeability of the filter now becomes the limiting factor, but like stated it can only inhale as much as its going to without mods being taken such as a tb spacer, intake bore, or forced induction. My argument only is and has been this system only allows as much air in as the truck will take, it does not create more.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:37 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

If there is a pressure increase at the point where the filter is, I agree. But I am not aware of anyone showing a performance increase at the track, but not at the dyno.

I do know that the owners of this CAI design have been successful in measuring consistently positive results. At the end of the day, that is the only thing that counts and for the die hard racers out there, this seems to be the Coupe-De-Grand of CAI systems.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 11-09-2012, 11:49 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Color: Satin Orange
Rep:597
TheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to all

No before and afters performance numbers but it helped in routing away from the bay and into a position for cooler air.

Last edited by TheSatinPumpkin; 11-09-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1995 Chevy Lumina
Rep:16
EngineeringStudent is on a distinguished road

Hey everyone. I don't own a dodge, but someone directed me to this thread on the issue of the airflow through the cai. So here I am to do my best to explain it. In case you're curious about my credentials, I am an engineering student (hence my username) at Michigan Tech. I have also discussed this with others to confirm that I was doing it right.

So... Let's start with the most efficient way to get air into the engine. (I am not a gearhead so I don't know all the details and parts involved, but try to follow me here) the most efficient way to get air through a pipe is with a trumpet style bell. That allows the maximum amount of airflow. However, that is not necessarily practical given other constraints. But the fewer bends, the better. This was already explained earlier.

Now, When I was first introduced to this issue, the question brought up to me was "If the entrance of a pipe is widened from 3.5" to 6", will it make the air flow faster at the 3.5" end than without a wider inlet?" Well, yes and no. The VOLUMETRIC flow rate stays constant at any point in the pipe. However, because the pipe diameter decreases as the air flows through it, you are cramming the same volume of air through a skinnier pipe at the same speed. The air is not moving faster, the pressure is increasing. By pressurizing the air at the inlet to the engine, we are cramming more oxygen molecules into a given volume of air. So, what this means is that while the air is not moving faster by VOLUME, it is moving faster by MASS. I have not actually done the calculations, nor do I really care to, but I doubt this really makes that much of a difference.

So what DOES make the difference? Something that I haven't seen brought up in this thread: The air filter itself. What do you have at the wide end of this intake? A filter. What does this filter do? Well, aside from filtering the air, it is actually hindering airflow. Which, now that I remember, somebody did allude to, but I didn't really finish reading it. Because I see you all like experiments, lets try a new one. Get an air hose with a regular nozzle on it and blow air directly on your hand from a few inches. Now without changing the distance from your hand to the nozzle, have a friend put an air filter in the middle. Does it feel like less air? probably... This implies that even though your air filter may have a square foot of surface area, you are not getting that much air through it. You may get, say, .4 square feet of air. (I'm just making up numbers here, but just go with it.)

So essentially, this cai is not "forcing" any more air into the engine. The only way for that to happen is if there was actually some force to act on it, but because it is hidden under the hood, that does not happen. Sure, there may be a tiny bit of air pushed through it, but it would be negligible amounts, so we won't even consider them. in fact, the ONLY thing that is making air flow in the first place is the pressure differential between the engine, and the outside of the filter. The pressure drop in the engine causes air to flow into the engine. Pressure is defined as a Force/Surface Area. This is the only force in the equation, and it is not even directly applied. It is a result of the pressure.

Now how about a recap? Things that could improve the air flow into the intake:

1. smooth inside of pipe.
2. similar to a trumpet bell curve.
3. straight as possible.
4. no air filter

If you want to go without an air filter, that's at your own risk, but wherever you have a filter, you are killing efficiency. So, to get around this, you create a larger surface area. This is why conical or cylindrical filters are used. More surface area of the filter means more area for the air to get through the filter.

So essentially, What you have is a component that, by nature, is bad for efficiency, and you are reducing the affect it has. It is not actually increasing your maximum horsepower, it is allowing you to come closer to your maximum horsepower.

If you think I am wrong, oh well. I know it can be proven using Bernoulli's principle. There are a lot of variations, though, and I don't remember them all specifically. If you really care to look into it, go ahead.

My 2 cents.
=P
Old 11-09-2012, 03:04 PM

thanks for the explanation, i know youll probably never get back on our forum but enjoy!
Old 11-09-2012, 03:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

So what I gather, (not having any idea if any of points were just made valid or not) is what makes this cai MOST beneficial is the shear size of the filter at the end being much larger than any others.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:16 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I read through what engineeringstudent wrote really quick but all seems to be spot on. I wonder how old he is?

Something almost never mentioned is the trumpet shaped entrance, but like he said it is impractical. It's commonly used by people making their own intake manifolds, they will put trumpet shaped ends on the runners where the open intake manifold plenum meets the primary runners.

What he's saying is that the only real difference is the larger surface area of air filter. The smooth intake tube(vs stock) has a small effect as well(although negligable, likely). Then if the filter is in an area of colder air, that helps too.

The only other benefit would be the large volume of air that acts as an "extension" to the manifold once the TB is open. This gives more air "on demand" before the air filter(engine side).

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.