DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-09-2012, 04:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2004 Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Maroon
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
MorePower is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
I read through what engineeringstudent wrote really quick but all seems to be spot on. I wonder how old he is?

Something almost never mentioned is the trumpet shaped entrance, but like he said it is impractical. It's commonly used by people making their own intake manifolds, they will put trumpet shaped ends on the runners where the open intake manifold plenum meets the primary runners.

What he's saying is that the only real difference is the larger surface area of air filter. The smooth intake tube(vs stock) has a small effect as well(although negligable, likely). Then if the filter is in an area of colder air, that helps too.

The only other benefit would be the large volume of air that acts as an "extension" to the manifold once the TB is open. This gives more air "on demand" before the air filter(engine side).
Student at Mich. Tech, probably 20-21 yrs old I would guess.

So are you saying, which would be the same as what he is saying, that this intake has no advantage over any other intake and the only gain is coming from the smoothness of the inside of the tube, and the and larger filter? So would a cai system that is routed to take outside air such as the S&B be more beneficial than one that simply has a huge filter and huge intake tube?
Sponsored links
Old 11-09-2012, 04:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I think the benefit of this intake over others is that it has such a large volume between the TB and filter that this acts as an extension to the manifold plenum, allowing more air "on tap" if that makes sense.

Other than that, it's no different than any of the other ones(smooth tube and large filter).

IMO(without any real results), ram air is the best naturally aspirated intake design. I'm sure there are results out there that prove this. engineeringstudent mentioned the pressure difference from outside the engine to inside the engine. Air will want to travel from higher pressure areas to lower pressure areas. The greater this pressure difference, the more air will enter the engine which means more power potential. With ram air, you create a pressure that is higher than atmospheric pressure in the vicinity of the intake inlet, which means a larger pressure difference. Same concept as turbo or super chargers, which create higher intake manifold pressures than atmospheric pressure. This higher pressure forces more air into the engine.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.

Last edited by snrusnak; 11-09-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:46 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Ram Hemi
Trim Level: Lonestar
Color: Black
Rep:296
BlackHemI is a jewel in the roughBlackHemI is a jewel in the roughBlackHemI is a jewel in the rough

oh now you wanna chime in Sean, too late now bud, i was counting on you to chime in but we got a engineering student on our team
14" magnaflow with custom magna y-pipe, 8k heads and fogs, hella FF 500's, 5% tint all the way, 60" LED brake light, Smoked tails and 3rd, Ballistic Jesters in 275/55/20 zeon ltz, color matched handles/mirrors, painted calipers, L.E.D interior, debadged & Viper 5901, 180 t-stat
Old 11-09-2012, 04:51 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
oh now you wanna chime in Sean, too late now bud, i was counting on you to chime in but we got a engineering student on our team
lol, doesn't an ex engineering student count ?

I actually thought that was really cool to come on to a forum to post that great info. I agree with who said it before, he will likely never be back, but was cool to help spread that good info to others.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:10 PM

For the record Pat I was not an aero engineering student(I just now read the previous pages lol). I was civil. Would be nice if engineeringstudent would stop by again to answer any other questions, it sounds like he knows more about airflow than I do. Most of what I know is applicable to fluids, and some is the same for airflow but not all. I know some about airflow but what I said above is about the extent of what I know. Although most of the pressure equations, etc are applicable to airflow the same as fluids generically IIRC.

Something else to mention since in the earlier pages everyone was talking about air flow velocity increasing, just like engineeringstudent said, the airflow velocity doesn't really increase, I believe it becomes more dense. So you are moving more volume of air through the tube at the same velocity. I believe airflow velocity is primarily controlled by the piston speed and head port diameter.

fred, if I see your picture and description correctly, you have the "scoop" sticking out of your headlight a few inches? This is the trumpet shape inlet that engineeringstudent mentioned. If this is what you have, it's no wonder you have such an amazing intake setup. You have the trumpet inlet, ram air, huge smooth tube, and huge filter.

If anyone wonders why the trumpet shape inlets are best, it's because the closer you get to the sidewall of the intake pipe, the slower airflow gets. Theoretically, airflow velocity = 0 directly at the sidewall of the pipe. So by having the trumpet shaped inlet you provide more volume of faster moving air to enter the pipe.

Last edited by snrusnak; 11-09-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2004 Ram
Color: Maroon
Rep:10
MorePower is on a distinguished road

so did what I had to say have any validity at all? When trying to explain the motor is only going to take in as much air as it can without being forced in with something like ram air? Now, knowing that it isnt the motor actually sucking air as it is a pressure difference flowing into the motor as it creates a vacuum, the huge funnel shape of the intake tube on this cai isnt really doing anything more than like you already said acting like a "air reservoir" for "on tap" need. Like a capacitor holding current until needed? and of course being able to support such a large filter with a lot of surface area. Is that correct?

Im honestly just trying to understand. Like everyone else I would like to make a well informed decision that will be most efficient.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1995 Chevy Lumina
Rep:16
EngineeringStudent is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, I noticed you guys are wondering more about me. I am a third year civil engineering student at MTU, hopefully to be a structual engineer. I actually don't have hardly any experience with this, being CE, but what I do know is because I took Thermodynamics/Fluid Mechanics last year. As a matter of fact, I didn't like it very much, but this was like the only thing from that class that I fully understood. It has been a while so I actually double checked this with a fourth year Mechanical Engineering major friend, who happens to be in the four wheelers club here. You probably wouldn't find him on here though, as he is a jeep owner.

Anyway, I really think the best way for you to look at this situation, is that you are reducing the inefficiency of the intake. not actually increasing the horsepower, but reaching closer to the max potential. I'll probably check this thread now and then for a few days, but not being a dodge owner or a gearhead, I won't likely be on this forum much anymore. I just wanted to share my insight with you guys after my cousin brought up this topic.

Although, I do think it's pretty cool to run into a civil engineer here. =P
Old 11-09-2012, 08:29 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Ram Hemi
Trim Level: Lonestar
Rep:296
BlackHemI is a jewel in the roughBlackHemI is a jewel in the roughBlackHemI is a jewel in the rough

Good luck with your degree! It's awesome knowing people know so much lol
14" magnaflow with custom magna y-pipe, 8k heads and fogs, hella FF 500's, 5% tint all the way, 60" LED brake light, Smoked tails and 3rd, Ballistic Jesters in 275/55/20 zeon ltz, color matched handles/mirrors, painted calipers, L.E.D interior, debadged & Viper 5901, 180 t-stat
Old 11-09-2012, 08:42 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT 4x4
Rep:214
Gecko has a spectacular aura aboutGecko has a spectacular aura aboutGecko has a spectacular aura about

I think my mind is blown right now and I actually learned more reading this for the last few minutes than I have with being in class this entire week...

This was awesome!
Old 11-09-2012, 09:14 PM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Great! Someone had to mention Bernoulli's principle on a truck forum!

Nicely explained EngineeringStudent......even if you did bring Bernoulli to the discussion.

I will ask though if the Bernoulli principle can be applied to compressible flows below Mach 1? I have always been of the opinion that it only be applied to 'gas' flow if the speed of flow was in excess of Mach 1 for that medium. Guess that's the price I pay for not taking the engineering courses when I could have.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI