DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-15-2011, 07:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:11
riggz is on a distinguished road
Question Remote Start Install Problem

So I purchased kit 82212424AB from an eBay seller (CDJ dealer who sells parts on eBay). I read the instructions a couple times and made sure I understood what was needed. I swapped out the hood latch with the new one that had the switch already in it. There was a plug in the factory harness right at the latch so I plugged that in (just like the instructions tell you to do.) I then installed the antenna module behind the glove box and ran the wire over to the ignition module. That's where I stopped and scheduled an appointment at the dealer to install the WIN (Wireless Ignition Node), flash the computer and program/reprogram my keys. The service advisor stated it would be an $85 charge.

This morning I arrived at the dealer at 9:00am (my appt. time) and informed them again what I needed done, what I had already done, and that I would be waiting on it. I even write on the instructions what I had already installed. After 20 minutes the service advisor informs me that they don't have any bays to put my truck in and it would be a couple hours before they could get to my truck. (Really? Why did I even bother making an appointment?) He had an employee give me a ride home and said they would come back to pick me up when it was ready in about 3 hours.

Around 1:00pm the service advisor calls and says the technician working on my truck can not get the remote start to work. He followed the steps exactly and did it twice but it wouldn't take. He said he could have his tech try to troubleshoot the work that I did, however that would be at my cost. I informed him that there was no way anything I did would be wrong since the antenna is just mounted behind the glove box and the hood latch has a switch already installed and all I did was plug it in. Those were pretty easy to confirm. I asked him if the service tech read the part where you have to input the remote start code into the WiTech about 30 minutes PRIOR to installing the WIN and flashing the computer, because if you fail to do this it will render the WIN useless. He stated the tech did this correctly.

At 4:45pm the service advisor called me back and stated that the tech has traced it down to a wire that goes in to the back of the TIPM and the tech has to pull the TIPM out to check it. That would push it in to tomorrow so he offered a rental car. I said ok.

My question is this: What other reason would the system not work? It sounds like they are looking in the direction of the hood switch not reading properly. I don't see how the hood switch wouldn't work unless the plug I used was for something else or the wires were not connected at the factory. I believe they screwed up and installed the WIN before adding it to the WiTech. Any input is appreciated!
Sponsored links
Old 11-16-2011, 07:07 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Well if I do that and they fried the WIN then I would be stuck in the same position.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:26 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Just got the truck back. They stated it was a software glitch that was not correctly reprogramming the WIN. Had to contact Chrysler to get the correct update.

So if anyone runs in to the same situation make sure the dealer knows there might be an issue with the software programming of the WIN.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Trim Level: ST
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:71
wbowyer will become famous soon enough

I've had no issues with my Viper remote start...even the geniuses at Best Buy were able to install it without any hiccups! And I have feedback on the remote (beeps and led's to indicate lock position, temperature in the cab, start timer, and defroster) and a range of 2000 feet (tested and confirmed). If you have the option between the Mopar remote and the Viper I would highly recommend the Viper.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: 4x4 CrewCab Sport
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:21
yodahog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbowyer View Post
I've had no issues with my Viper remote start...even the geniuses at Best Buy were able to install it without any hiccups! And I have feedback on the remote (beeps and led's to indicate lock position, temperature in the cab, start timer, and defroster) and a range of 2000 feet (tested and confirmed). If you have the option between the Mopar remote and the Viper I would highly recommend the Viper.
What was the cost of this, including installation?

Also what are the fees for installing the app on say an iPhone?
Old 11-16-2011, 05:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Trim Level: ST
Color: Inferno Red
Rep:71
wbowyer will become famous soon enough

Cost was around $300 (all parts and labor included, along with a warranty). I believe the app doesn't actually cost anything, but the module has to be able to accept the "SmartStart" capability. I elected to go with a remote and not the "SmartStart" because I am often on the phone for business and wanted to be able to get her cranked up and either cooled off or warmed up.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Viper+-+...&skuId=9347815
Old 11-17-2011, 02:08 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

I had a Viper Smart Start alarm system on my Infiniti. You can still use a remote with the smart phone app. It was great, but it didn't turn on my heated seats in the cold weather and vent seats in the hot weather. You also have to pay an annual subscription fee. The OEM remote start supposedly does this. Plus It's one less key fob I have to carry. (I only carry the truck fob and 1 house key)
Old 11-04-2012, 06:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 ram 1500 outdoorsman
Trim Level: outdoorsman
Color: white/silver
Rep:10
shaneserle1989 is on a distinguished road

i can't for the life of me figure out were the win antenna module plugs in or goes behind the glove box? any tips? i can't find anywhere to connect that antenna wire
Old 11-04-2012, 07:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneserle1989 View Post
i can't for the life of me figure out were the win antenna module plugs in or goes behind the glove box? any tips? i can't find anywhere to connect that antenna wire
It plugs into the WIN (the box where you put the fob.) The antenna end snaps in to something way up behind the glove box by the windshield.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 ram 1500 outdoorsman
Trim Level: outdoorsman
Color: white/silver
Rep:10
shaneserle1989 is on a distinguished road

are you serious now i gotta go do it hahaha been makin me so mad trying to figure that out

thanks a bunch