DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-12-2012, 07:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7L V8
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Blue
Rep:10
verdenslikkald is on a distinguished road
Default Issues after oil change

So I Have a 2008 dodge ram 1500, no hemi. I change the oil for the first time in 10 months. I had it parked for those 10 months. As far as I could remember from the last time I changed my oil, it was 5.5 quarts of 5-20 oil and I always use a PH2 FRAM filter.

The things I'm sure of..the filter is the correct one..for one, it fits, and it's the same kind that was on there before. and the oil is the right kind because it says what to use right on the cap.

the problem..I changed the oil, new filter, all that, and I used 5.5 quarts of oil. Except now, no matter when I check my oil using the dipstick it says that my oil is way over the limit..like half way up the dipstick. Doesn't matter if I check it when it's cold or warm. It seems to be running fine but this dipstick is weirding me out.

Also I'm wondering..I just take the old filter off and drain the oil out that way..that's the way I've always done it, even before this problem arose. And I've been changing my oil like that for a couple years. But i'm wondering, should I be using the oil drain plug? and where is that thing? I can't find it when i'm laying under the truck looking around.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.
Sponsored links
Old 11-13-2012, 08:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Green/gray
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Parabol413 is on a distinguished road

Please tell me your kidding.. Just pulling the filter doesn't drain what's in the oil pan. The oil pan should be on the bottom of the engine regardless of which engine you have, and there will be a plug on it you unscrew to drain the oil as well. Look directly under the engine and you should find the pan. Get that oil out of there right away.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:40 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Economy
Color: White
Goatboy is on a distinguished road

What he said. You are not only NOT changing your oil but you are not doing the filters any good either, running the same old oil through it. So yes, you are indeed WAY over on your oil level. Find the plug on the pan, and re change your oil. Re place your filter as well. Its toasted.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Red
SouthPArk is on a distinguished road

When you pulled the filter how much oil poured out? Like... half a litre? So... if you added another 5 litres you have about TEN litres in the system... and you may run the risk of blowing a seal. The oil drain plug will be on the bottom of the oil pan. Unscrew it. Drain out all the oil. Replace the filter. Put the plug back in. Top up the new filter and screw it on. Open the hood. Get a funnel. Pour in 3/4s of the 5 litre can. Check the level after a few moments. Add more. Recheck. Go for a drive. Re check. Top up as needed. Basically I suggest NOT DRIVING THE TRUCK until u get the excess oil drained off (and I'd just do a full change out while I was under there). Get a manual if you don't know... or watch a UTube DIY video on changing the oil.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:39 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Holy cow yes follow what they said. You must drain the oil from the drain plug on the oil pan. It is very easy to find, it's the lowest point on the engine towards the rear. Then replace the filter and oil.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:52 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 1500 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT- Big Horn
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:19
dig is on a distinguished road
Default Changing oil

I think that you should take it to someone that knows what they are doing, If you want to do it your self, watch so you will know the next time. Trying to save money can cost big in the end.