DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > Cummins Diesel Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-06-2012, 06:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 dodge ram 2500 slt
Trim Level: slt
Color: silver
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L HO) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 245hp 505lb/ft (6-Speed Manual)
Rep:10
Falcon80 is on a distinguished road
Question Help please starting problem

Ok I have 03 2500 with 24v HO engine Two years ago I installed a AirDog system.Three month's ago I had a start problem my truck's security system tripped. i started using the spate key with no additional problems until yesterday when had same problem. So took the truck to local dealer. I was told that I needed the retro-fit in tank pump installed. Because my pump was failing and that it wasn't a security problem. That light I was seeing was a throttle warning light. Yet when I called a second dealer I was told it sounds like a security issue. So question after long story will a faulty fuel system cause the security system to initiate?
Sponsored links
Old 11-13-2012, 11:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 TD
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: RED!!!
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:10
Kevin629 is on a distinguished road

I don't know a lot about the fuel pump issue they described but the security system is neat!
I lost a key fob and went ot my local WalMart and had a spare ignition key made! To my surprise the truck would start and run for about 10 seconds then shut down. Had a funny feeling so I got out the original key fob and drove it home.
Did some reading and talked to the local dealer. Found out the key has a micro transmitter molded into the plastic! When you turn the key you will notice a red dot illuminate in the instrument cluster near the bottom right. It will come on for about 10 sec. During this time it is sending a radio frequency pulse to power up the key's transmitter and identify itself! If the code is recognized by the security system it will continue to run. The dealer told me you have limited attempts to start and then it will lock out the starting sequence for 1 hour. Didn't try it but I might have a project for tomorrow!
To get a spare key is an expensive proposition! The big Dodge key fob is about $150.00 (don't remember if that included programming). They do offer a key with chip for less but it has to be programmed also. The dealer said if you have both working key fob keys it is easy to program the single function key ( he didn't share that with me).
All that said I would go to WalMart and get a fake key made to test the security system. The security system should consistently shut down after a set time. I would imagine the fuel pump time delay would be erratic.
By the way this fake key will open the door if you ever lock yourself out! My dog is real bad about locking me out.
Hope this helped!