DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Towing

Notices

Towing 4th Gen Dodge Ram Towing Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-21-2012, 01:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
TNC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DepsilonD View Post
Nope, no need to flash. 5-10 minutes to install. Did my first tow this weekend and the factory controller worked flawlessly.
DD, did your truck have the two or just one wiring connector to match factory controller?
Sponsored links
Old 11-21-2012, 01:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Is that a 1956 Plymouth Savoy on the trailer ?
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 11-21-2012, 01:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express CA Edition
Color: Black
Rep:10
DepsilonD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
DD, did your truck have the two or just one wiring connector to match factory controller?
Both were there. I also have an Express so you should be good to go too. Take a peek under the dash, you should be able to locate the small and large grey connectors near the factory mounting location. Mine were just hanging there waiting to be hooked up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
Is that a 1956 Plymouth Savoy on the trailer ?
Yes it is. Good call GTyankee. I picked it up in AZ as a parts car for my 56 Belvedere.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8030073-reduced.jpg (80.0 KB, 19 views)
Old 11-21-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DepsilonD View Post
Both were there. I also have an Express so you should be good to go too. Take a peek under the dash, you should be able to locate the small and large grey connectors near the factory mounting location. Mine were just hanging there waiting to be hooked up.

Yes it is. Good call GTyankee. I picked it up in AZ as a parts car for my 56 Belvedere.
I'm not sure...I think some of these trucks may only have the one pigtail in the truck's wiring harness. I never found a secondary wiring connector on mine, and I've read in that huge, multi-page controller post that some trucks don't have the second connector. I'm a decent mechanic, but it's possible I missed it somewhere, but I thought I made a pretty good inspection. The one connector was present under the dash, and it was a straight plug-in for my P3 controller. And I'm not saying that even with just the one 4-pin connector in the truck's harness, that the OEM controller won't plug in and work. I just thought I recalled that there might be one other step you had to take to get the OEM controller to work on the trucks with just the 4-pin connector present. I can't find that huge thread on this issue or I'd check it out.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express CA Edition
DepsilonD is on a distinguished road

I had also read a bunch of posts on the subject and I think I recall the one you are talking about. From my recollection, the 2009's did not have both plugs unless the controller was factory installed. Someone on that post did a splice job to get the controller working as it should. However, I was under the impression that all of the 2012's (and maybe some earlier years) share the same wiring harness across all of the models.

I'm trying to rack my brain about the two plugs. I think the larger of the two was just hanging there and the smaller one (grey with orange) may have been tucked away a little. I think I remember it having a piece of fuzzy black tape over the connection end. It may have been taped up into the harness and fallen down which made my life a little easier. If I have a change, I will check the wire colors going into both plugs which may help to a little wire tracing/splicing.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:59 PM

OK, found that post. It does appear that many trucks well into the '12 year model still don't have both wiring connectors in the truck's wiring harness for some reason. Oddly it appears that some with EVIC only have one connector, and some without EVIC have two connectors...go figure, as that doesn't seem logical. Anyway, if you just have the one 4-pin connector, you can still make the OEM controller work. Here's that huge post, but mainly look at page 3, 7, 8, and the final page 31.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread....ght=controller
Old 11-22-2012, 01:46 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 5.7L
Trim Level: Crew Cab
bpetroni is on a distinguished road

I was finally able to speak with a tech at Dodge and he told me that even though I don't have the EVIC feature I would have to have them program the controller if I buy a OEM model. Looks like I will have to go aftermarket, what a pain in the butt. Anyways, my 2012 Express has two pigtails, does anyone know which one I would hook a aftermarket unit to?
Old 11-22-2012, 02:23 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

they don't charge much to have the controller flashed
i read one post saying it was $20 for the flash
$50 for the install & the Flash

all the Flash does is to let the vehicle recognize that the controller has been installed
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 11-22-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpetroni View Post
I was finally able to speak with a tech at Dodge and he told me that even though I don't have the EVIC feature I would have to have them program the controller if I buy a OEM model. Looks like I will have to go aftermarket, what a pain in the butt. Anyways, my 2012 Express has two pigtails, does anyone know which one I would hook a aftermarket unit to?
You use the larger 4-pin connector for an aftermarket controller. When you buy an aftermarket controller, you also ask for the wiring adapater for your controller to fit your vehicle. That part is easy. If you don't have EVIC, why does the computer have to recognize the OEM controller? I thought you just read the data off the face of the controller just like you'd do with an aftermarket controller. Maybe I'm missing something. In that extensive post I linked, I thought most got the OEM controller to work just by plugging it in if they had both wiring connectors on the truck. I thought the "flash" was to get the controller to communicate with EVIC at full capacity.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:49 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Snow White
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:31
clatla is on a distinguished road

My factory controller died so I am installing an aftermarket one. If any of you that installed the Dodge controller and still have the dash piece that you had to take out let me know. I need the tan color. Shoot me a PM.