DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Notices

Off Topic Discussion Anything goes in here! Well, almost!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-26-2012, 11:46 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3872
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cordless drill & impact driver recommendations...

I've been a Makita man all my life when it comes to cordless.

Back this past Spring, I purchased an entire line of Makita cordless tools [18V 3.0AMP lithium-ion and VERY happy] minus the cordless impact driver and drill. I already had them from about three years back. In those three years or a little longer, while they worked near flawlessly until recently, I've gone through about four 18V 1.5AMP lithium-ion batteries. Makita cordless are nortorious for poor battery longevity, and I've had enough paying for batteries as, those who have had to purchase lithium-ion batteries can attest to, they're not cheap.

On top of that, both the impact driver and the cordless drill have starting losing their "oomph" within the last six months or so. I'm going to try something different this time as far as cordless drill/driver goes.

My research over the last couple of weeks or so keeps bringing me back to the "new" 20V Lithium-ion DeWalt Cordless and the 18V M18 Lithium-ion Milwaukee line of tools.

DeWalt left a sour taste in my mouth about two years ago when a newly purchased cordless brad nailer [that I still have] died in the backside after app. 7 months of use. DeWalt's custome service - in trying to get a replacement - was absolutely HORRIBLE and I swore at the time I wouldn't touch their garbage ever again..... however I hear their new 20V line is "the duck's guts." I've never owned Milwaukee's line of tools.

I'm a weekend handyman [though my wife will argue to the contrary] and will go withut starting a tool for six months, at times. I'm after bang-4-bucks and longevity is a priority.

Anyone have recommendations?

Grub out!
Sponsored links
Old 10-26-2012, 11:57 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

I have the Makita 10.8 cordless impact and driver set and I love them. I use them every day and after 2 years, they're still going strong. Milwaukee cordless tools are also very good. I've owned a couple of their drills over the years and have nothing but praise for them. I even used one to prime small block hot rod engines and believe me when I tell you there's nothing harder on a drill than that. The only DeWalt tools I owned were corded so I can't really speak for their cordless line, but considering who owns the company, I would say they're comparable to B&D, whick had medicore battery life.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:03 PM

Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

I really want to stay right around the 18V line of cordless, as I've found in the past that smaller than that and you have mediocre run-time and/or power.

Anything bigger than 18.V and you're getting too bulky and cumbersome.... with really poor balance in-the-hand.

I wasn't even aware Makita made a 10.8V line of cordless....

Grub out!
Old 10-26-2012, 12:46 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

I got the 10.8 line because I mainly wanted them to use for dash removal but wound up using them for nearly everything else I do. Granted, they don't have the power of the bigger stuff, but the run time on them is good. Let us know what you wind up buying and maybe write up a short review.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:47 PM

Yeah, I'm going to get something by the month's end so will do.

Short review? Yeah, just my style!

Grub out!
Old 10-26-2012, 12:54 PM

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:963
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

I've been wanting to try the Ridgid Cordless combo for 179 lately. I still have a Ridgid Corded Drill over 12 years old and still kickin strong. My SnapOn Cordless Impact Driver works good but way overpriced.

Last edited by Gantman; 10-26-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:10 PM

The Rigid line of cordless is definitely a well built line of tools with outstanding [unrivaled] warranty and good to very-good feedback/reviews.

I held and played around with both of those drills for several minutes just this past week at the local Home Depot.

The impact driver felt very nice and had amples of torque as I was driving 3" self-tapping wood screws into a 2X4 on display. It didn't miss a beat and [actually] clean snapped two screw heads..... nice! My issue was with the drill. It was VERY poorly balanced in-the-hand and felt like it had only run-o-the mill power/torque.

Balance and weight in-the-hand to me is extrmemly important! There's nothing worse than a poorly weighted/balanced drill when you're using it for more than an hour or two.

Both tools feel very well constructed..... even though they "appear" platicy and cheaply made to the naked eye. The fancy colors/graphics don't exactly get my nipples hard either.... so to speak.

Grub out!
Old 10-26-2012, 02:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2583
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I have a 14.4 Makita MXT, great balance, holds a charge real good, best thing was that i got it on sale. Came with 2 batteries & a charger, i use it all the time

Black & Decker 18v batteries drain way too quickly, maybe 15 minutes time on a small leaf blower or weed wacker, i have 3 batteries & 2 chargers for those devices

I used to have a bunch of Milwaukee cordless tools, they seem to have disappeared, now i just have 2, one is an 18V cordless drill & i only use it when there is a really big jobs & 2 people are drilling & screwing.
The other is a monster impact wrench, i bought it for changing wheels on mobile homes, when a wide/heavy home is traveling across the desert in the summer, they may blow tires like crazy. I bought it as a back up wrench if the drivers own tools battery dies. So far i have only used it once, to see how well it worked, i took off my 1999 chevy wheel & put it back on. Needless to stay it has a load of torque
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 10-26-2012, 02:48 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Quad Cab Sport
Color: black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:249
2011 ASSAULT 800 has a spectacular aura about2011 ASSAULT 800 has a spectacular aura about2011 ASSAULT 800 has a spectacular aura about

grown up on Dewalt, not sure if I would call their stuff garbage, everything has 1 or 2 lemons in the bunch. Rigid also makes very good power tools

Mods : 20x9 fuel Kranks, 20% tint, Ram rubber mud flaps, Lumens 35w 6000k canbus low beams, tri fold tonneau, led plate & cargo lights
Old 10-26-2012, 02:54 PM

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:963
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Grubrunner for that very well thought out and worded test review on the Ridgid. I too messed around with both at my local HD and liked the price and the warranty. This set would be mainly used around the house which for the price, is pretty good.