DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-25-2013, 08:16 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

I've been through so many pinion nut/rearend removals in my day that I lost count and I've never ever had to use lock tite on them...EVER! They are supposed to be locking nuts that do not need lock tite. These must be the crappiest nuts ever produced on any rearend ever made. And Yankee, no pun intended to you but what in the hell is a retainer PATCH? Sounds like a lame excuse from Chrysler to me. I personally beleive that these materials are made of shit materials from the worst parts of poverty China....sry for my rant.
Sponsored links
Old 04-25-2013, 08:27 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I believe the retainer patch is basically loctite but in a solid patch form.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Big Horn Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Western Brown Pearl
Rep:160
Otterdriver has a spectacular aura aboutOtterdriver has a spectacular aura about

If you want piece of mind, take it to a shop and get the dam pinion nut peened in a couple of places, there is no way it'll back off then! If they have a F**K of a time taking it off when its time for the retainer recall to be performed, who gives a shit!, I would call that evasive action, I am extremely surprised that knowone has gotten into a serious accident yet. I received my recall letter long before I traded my truck in, how long does it take to manufacture a retainer?!
Old 04-25-2013, 06:34 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:83
Turbovsix will become famous soon enough

Exactly!!! I will tell you what if I didn't know what to listen for I'd never have caught it each of the three times it started to fail - my wife certainly wouldn't have heard it so thank goodness she doesn't use it primarily. My dealer even called chrysler to have them get the retainer sent before they rebuilt it again and Chrysler said they don't have any available.

Owned a lot of vehicles in my day and never had rear end issues nevermind three in two years. Well at least it happened now and not in three weeks when I will be heading up on some nasty mountain roads to do some fishing. That would make for a wild ride if something gave out.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:59 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: WHITE
Rep:902
oldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to behold

I had dealer check my build date (May-2012), my truck so far not included.
I crawled under truck and marked pinion nut & yoke with paint stick to keep a eye on it.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:33 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Blue
Rep:10
YO208 is on a distinguished road

Just found out my truck is invovled with the recall. The dealer said it might be this time next month before they have parts in.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:45 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: sport
Color: Flame Red
Rep:12
jg-gonzo is on a distinguished road

I had this happen at 50,000 miles, complete rear end failure at 70mph, I originally posted it: new guy wild ride. Rear end locked up and threw the truck dead sideways, managed to keep somewhat control of it until it exploded and rolled free. It blew the pinion through the bottom of the housing.The nut fell off and the pinion fell into the housing. It also drops the drive shaft when this happens. Much fun in rush hour traffic!!! Mamma Mopar will not replace the entire unit. They have to order each piece and build it at the dealer. Got 90k on the truck so far no issues again, but I don't trust the truck and will never tow with it out of shear fear.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:01 PM

Vehicle: 2010 HEMI Sport Crew Cab
Trim Level: SPORT
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:62
rarichard will become famous soon enough

I recieved my safey recall notice recently and have a question. SOme have mentioned peening the end of the nut, I am a former motorcycle racer and would like to know if someone thinks that safety wiring it might also be a solution. I haven't crawled under to look how big the bolt is, but a little time with a good bit makes it pretty safe once it's wired. Any thoughts?
Old 04-28-2013, 09:15 PM

Vehicle: 2010 RAM SLT 4X4
Trim Level: SPORT CREW CAB
Color: Black
Rep:10
CCeastside is on a distinguished road

my is a build date of feb 2010 have 55k now.... had to tighten the driveshaft bolts @30k they were finger loose!!, other than that really nothing... just talked to my dealer who's a customer of mine and he told all they are doing is cracking open the diff. and if you have the loctite patch they just seal it back up, fill it and away you go. if not they put the patch on.... he did think like WTF is the wait all about , so even he thought it's out of line to wait for this fix
Old 04-28-2013, 09:50 PM

Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCeastside View Post
my is a build date of feb 2010 have 55k now.... had to tighten the driveshaft bolts @30k they were finger loose!!, other than that really nothing... just talked to my dealer who's a customer of mine and he told all they are doing is cracking open the diff. and if you have the loctite patch they just seal it back up, fill it and away you go. if not they put the patch on.... he did think like WTF is the wait all about , so even he thought it's out of line to wait for this fix
One of many things that makes me not trust Chrysler at all.