DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Washing & Waxing

Notices

Washing & Waxing Washing and Waxing your Dodge Ram! Talk about it here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-15-2012, 09:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Maximum Steel Metallic
Rep:910
primo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to behold
Default 2010 Dodge Ram with OPT products

Well I finally had a chance to get to my truck this weekend and I am pretty satisfied with the results (Im happier it is done). Im into it for about 23 hours right now, and that was only the paint correction (I still have the tailgate, the wheel wells rims/and tires and then the interior to get to).

Again I had a couple of issues dialing in the right products on the paint and it didnt help that my hyper compound arrived as hyper polish (that put me behind a bit, and I ended up redoing some of the panels I hit with the hyper compound on a LC CCS orange pad after receiving the hyper compound based on the scratches I instilled with the Ultima Elastrofoam block. I had the tunes cranked and missed the scratching sound, but I had some debris embedded in the pad itself, and needless to say, I really caused a bit of damage...Im not too sure Im a fan of the block any longer as something embedded deep in the block, and I could feel it, but it defiantly did a number on the paint.

Overall I am very satisfied with the optimum product line, but I have a couple observations/comments ill post after the pics. Now onto the process;

CG CWG at 1oz per gallon to strip old LSP (WG DGPS topped with 2 coats of nattys liquid blue. KAIO on windows).
Elastrofoam Clay alternative
PC 7424 XP
Hyper compound on 5.5 LC CCS Orange and 5.5 LC HT Tangerine
Polish II on 5.5 LC CCS Orange and 5.5 LC HT Tangerine
Final Polish on 5.5 LC CCS Blue and Black
ONR to remove polishing oils
OC 2.0

After CG CWG and Elastrofoam block...note the marring and deeper scratches I mistakenly instilled.

continued...
2014 Dodge Ram 4X4 Sport, BakFlip F1 cover, Weathertech DigiFit Liners, BedRug bed mat, PIAA Extreme White Fog Bulbs, ProComp 2.5" / 1.5" Nitro Level Lift, Zone Off Road Upper Control Arms, ProComp 5050 20" -12 offset, MT Deagan 38 35x12.5.20, iron Cross Step Bars, DeeZee Tail Gate Strut

I am the heir to the primo spaghetti sauce fortune!
Sponsored links
Old 11-15-2012, 09:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

primo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to behold

continued...
2014 Dodge Ram 4X4 Sport, BakFlip F1 cover, Weathertech DigiFit Liners, BedRug bed mat, PIAA Extreme White Fog Bulbs, ProComp 2.5" / 1.5" Nitro Level Lift, Zone Off Road Upper Control Arms, ProComp 5050 20" -12 offset, MT Deagan 38 35x12.5.20, iron Cross Step Bars, DeeZee Tail Gate Strut

Old 11-15-2012, 09:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Here are some panels I hit with the Hyper Polish (had some trouble with the sprayer as well...just being able to make the stream small enough to mist the pad only was a chore for me). I found with the orange ccs pad, I was able to get some correction with the hyper polish and it finished down very nice, but of course, there was just not enough bite to get the scratches. I experimented between polish II and hyper compound and I think the polish ii finished nicer, but the hyper polish had more cut.

continued...

Old 11-15-2012, 09:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

After getting the hyper compound, I tried again on some scratches left behind from polish II with a CCS orange ad HT pad. I found the CCS pad to work especially better, and didn’t seem to load up as fast as the HT pads. I found even with only half a spritz of compound, the pad loaded up quickly and felt grippy on the paint. The Hyper Compound had good cut, but I honestly expected a bit more aggressive cut on the orange pad. But maybe I need to get some yellow cutting pads for some deeper scratches. I even reached for WG TSR on the orange pad, but nothing really finished out the scratches to perfection with the pads I had on hand. I was also puzzled because I could not feel the scratches, but they were defiantly still there after 6-8 section passes and medium to heavy pressure on 4-5 on the PC.

continued...

Old 11-15-2012, 09:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Here are some shots of the final polish. I am very glad I picked up an 8oz bottle on Monday. I think this stuff finished amazing and gave an awesome depth and shine to the paint, and really gave some clarity to the reflections. I also cant believe the different coloured flecks in the paint. The truck looks like so many different shades of black (I think it is called brilliant clack crystal) pearl The paint was so smooth when I applied the OC that it spread so easy and the pad was squeaking away while applying.

And finally the shots of the OCed panels. I found that after I applied the OC it felt that the paint had lost its sparkle from the flake, but shone like crazy. Although in the late day sun I almost felt like there was a slight haze to the finish. I hope it cured long enough overnight in my garage at 60- 65 degrees before I brought it out today in the 7 degree weather. I also discovered one high spot in the OC today about the size of a quarter on the hood. It is driving me crazy, but I believe I can hit it with some poliseal and then OC. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

I now can’t wait to get to the rest of the exterior. Thanks for looking and pointing out any flaws with my process, techniques, or results.

Jeff

Old 11-15-2012, 10:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:47
GhostR1der is on a distinguished road

Wow looking great! Later on down the road whn you want a faster machine look for a Flex. It is a dual action with forced rotation and orbital so it's nearly as safe as the PC. That flake looks awesome in the paint. I never knew that it was multi colored. Black with a mirror shine=SUCCESS. now have you a few of your prefers drinks lol.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:07 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

hey thanks man...

the flake really puzzled me too...i cant believe all the different colours in there...

yeah i really need to get a flex...i blew it with the PC when i bought it...i returned a faulty one that vibrated so bad my hands tingled for days after using it...i shoulda splurged for the flex.

it is on the list to get soon...

Last edited by primo spaghetti; 11-16-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Rep:365
Pull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nice

Great write up Jeff. Truck looks outstanding, and I agree, after that you deserve a couple of beers.
Jay
Old 11-18-2012, 08:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostR1der View Post
Wow looking great! Later on down the road whn you want a faster machine look for a Flex. It is a dual action with forced rotation and orbital so it's nearly as safe as the PC. That flake looks awesome in the paint. I never knew that it was multi colored. Black with a mirror shine=SUCCESS. now have you a few of your prefers drinks lol.
well i pulled the trigger today and took the first step in getting the Flex...I sold my PC for 125.00 with three LC backing plates...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Ya View Post
Great write up Jeff. Truck looks outstanding, and I agree, after that you deserve a couple of beers.
Jay
thanks man...ill be hitting the beers tomorrow night after i hang the christmas lights!!!

Old 01-17-2013, 05:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4x4 Sport
Color: Red
Rep:40
Designflaw is on a distinguished road

I think that is the shinnest truck I have ever seen -