DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lowering Springs, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-25-2012, 12:34 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Rep:10
1500driver is on a distinguished road
Default best air bag/payload capicity upgrade?

Just purchased a new 2012 Ram. I need to to upgrade the payload capacity for regular, but not everyday, hauling/towing.

Probably 80%+ of use of the truck will still be largely empty, but will still regularly load the bed, or be towing a loaded 8 x 16 cargo trailer.

When the bed is loaded, I probably will be about 1000 lbs, on average, over the rated capability.

I'm thinking that an air bag system on the rear end would probably work best, since I can just load it up when needed, and deflate when it's not. Looking for opinions on what is the best option? If it's air bags, I'd like to go with something with an available onboard compressor. Self-leveling would be nice if it's available.

I don't mind spending a bit of money on something, since I plan to have the truck for quite a while, but I'm not going to go crazy either. I'm looking for decent quality at a decent price. Air bag systems don't seem to be too crazy in price, so I may even go for a high end system if that's the best route to go.

From the little research I've done so far, I think something like the TLC airbags would be good. No experience though, so don't know if that's perfect, overkill, or should be looking at stiffer springs etc. instead.

Like I said before, for sure most of the time I don't need the extra capability, but I will need it for sure, but only at times, which is why I think the air bags may be the best.

Coming down from my previous 3/4 ton, which worked ok for towing, but was at it's limit, or maybe slightly over, when the bed was loaded. The 1500 is a new truck, and am sure will serve me well, I just want to set it up right for how it's used...... I intend to drive it for quite a while, and need rely on it for both business, and less importantly, personal use.

So what would be the best air bag suspension system to add? Seems to be the best option as it can be adjusted as required....or should I be replacing the rear springs??? Think air suspension would be best for my situation, but am looking for opinions....I could be wrong!

Thanks!
Sponsored links
Old 11-29-2012, 08:37 AM
Conventional Eccentric

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:220
highlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1500driver View Post
Just purchased a new 2012 Ram. I need to to upgrade the payload capacity for regular, but not everyday, hauling/towing.

When the bed is loaded, I probably will be about 1000 lbs, on average, over the rated capability.

Coming down from my previous 3/4 ton, which worked ok for towing, but was at it's limit, or maybe slightly over, when the bed was loaded. The 1500 is a new truck, and am sure will serve me well, I just want to set it up right for how it's used...... I intend to drive it for quite a while, and need rely on it for both business, and less importantly, personal use.

Thanks!
There is no system that increases the rated capacity of a pickup truck. Airbag systems only help the truck handle the load it is rated for.

If your 3/4 tonne was over capacity your going to have trouble with a 1500. It's not just that it can be unsafe to be overloaded but you will tear the truck up if it is regularly overloaded. It sounds like you should have bought a 2500.

Disclaimer: I'm getting old and my opinions will reflect that fact!
Old 12-03-2012, 10:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge RAM
Color: White
Rep:17
TLC John is on a distinguished road
Default TLC is what you're looking for.

Hi 1500D,

TLC is what you're looking for - its simply the best system for 4th Gen - adds to the coil springs without interfering and adds over 5,000 pounds of lift.

TLC does increase GWVR - only Chrysler could do that - but your truck will be level even when you're at the maximum capacity.

The highest tech air system we recommend is the Wireless One - wireless controller and compressor system. You can get for $220-240 after $50 rebate from AirLift currently on.

We sell a Viair wired compressor and switch/panel for $129.

You can also use TLC with any external source or compressor.

If you have any questions, please let us know.

John
Old 12-03-2012, 10:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks John,

I will be placing an order soon for sure. Undoubtedly seems to be the best quality system out there.

Wasn't aware of the current rebate from airlift.... maybe wireless is the way to go.....keeps the interior looking as it was from factory. Rebate helps justify that option.

Actually just finished a reply on another thread on this forum looking for options for the interior install..... Maybe your reading it now! Now I just have to decide what option I'm going to go with.....

Thanks for the feedback! (on the forums, and the quick email reply's responding to questions...)

Looking forward to installing my TLC air bags....

Mark.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Apparently you were reading my other post.....

just got the reply..... and thanks for the links.

Those are some nice installs...... Hope I can do something as good!

That install below the 4WD selector switch I think is the best I've seen yet. Definitely liking that option right now. Looks sooooo good!

Last edited by 1500driver; 12-03-2012 at 10:34 PM.