DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2009 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2009 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2009 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-28-2012, 01:36 PM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1189
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of
Default Rear diff yoke pinion seal leaking...

While crawling around under my truck installing my brakes and TLC yesterday, I found my pinion seal leaking. With 7,500 miles of roadtrip coming in 2 weeks, with a 7,000lb boat in tow, I decided it would be best to get it fixed. If I leave it, we would be somwhere in Arizona, and the rear end would have disintegrated, totally mashing all hopes for ramfest.

Lifetime Maxcare ftw!

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Sponsored links
Old 07-28-2012, 03:28 PM
US Army Retired

ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

had a bad r/f tie rod too..go figure

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Old 07-28-2012, 03:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Deepwater Blue
Rep:127
Swaggerville Ram will become famous soon enoughSwaggerville Ram will become famous soon enough

Wonder if the leak is a result of the yoke starting to rock on the pinion I/e nut starting to loosen up?
Maybe just saved yourself some headaches.

I've never looked at these pinion setups all apart, I'm wondering if the nut backing off is a result of not long enough splines on the pinion or in the yoke bore. ( or both )

"I don't care to hear what your ideas are, mine are better"
Old 07-28-2012, 05:19 PM
US Army Retired

Thats what the tech said. He goes "man, its a good thing you caught this, or you would have been dead in the water in the next 1,000 miles". Tie rod will be in beginning of next week and I will have that taken care of next saturday. Then she will be ready for RamFest.

FWIW, they re torqued the lock nut on the pinion yoke to 475 ft-lbs. If it EVER comes loose I will be suprised.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:57 PM
"Just living the dream"

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Longhorn
Trim Level: Longhorn Rambox
Color: Prairie Pearl / White Gold Trim
Rep:1634
Chunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant future

Let us know how you make out and please keep us updated.....

Enjoy RamForumZ? Support your forum and become a SITE SUPPORTER today!

Please be sure you understand the Ram ForumZ RULES

"MOST OF ALL HAVE FUN AND ENJOY THE SITE"
Old 07-28-2012, 09:07 PM
US Army Retired

Made out good, the only thing MaxCare didnt cover was the diagnostic fee (which is stupid because I diagnosed it, I told them what it was before I handed them the key, but they said standard procedure), and they wont cover the alignment next week after the tie-rod change. Thats ok, they saved me $500 this week. Total bill would have been $667.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:17 PM
"Just living the dream"

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Longhorn
Trim Level: Longhorn Rambox
Color: Prairie Pearl / White Gold Trim
Rep:1634
Chunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant future

Perfect...I am glad you made out ok brother and saved some coin.....

Enjoy RamForumZ? Support your forum and become a SITE SUPPORTER today!

Please be sure you understand the Ram ForumZ RULES

"MOST OF ALL HAVE FUN AND ENJOY THE SITE"
Old 07-28-2012, 09:22 PM
US Army Retired

Indeed, it was a relief to catch those 2 issues with a 7500 mile trip on the block in 11 days.

They also said I need a serpentine belt (which I probably do, its 2 years old and I put a cheap-ass one on last time), and an air filter. I will just clean the K&N.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl
Rep:83
Turbovsix will become famous soon enough

Just had the pinion seal replaced on mine as well using my MaxCare. I'm not sure I understand why you said they didn't cover your diagnostic fee? My maxcare has a $100 deductible. During my last visit, I had the passenger side mirror replaced because it was turning brown, and then I had the pinion seal done because it was seeping. My total bill was just my deductible - $100. I've used maxcare now a few times, and never had them bug me about a diagnostic fee.

Also, on the tie rod - were yours part of the recall ever? Just curious as mine was recalled for bad tie rod ends - they replaced them and then reset the toe (not a full alignment)....
Old 07-30-2012, 03:58 PM
US Army Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbovsix View Post
Just had the pinion seal replaced on mine as well using my MaxCare. I'm not sure I understand why you said they didn't cover your diagnostic fee? My maxcare has a $100 deductible. During my last visit, I had the passenger side mirror replaced because it was turning brown, and then I had the pinion seal done because it was seeping. My total bill was just my deductible - $100. I've used maxcare now a few times, and never had them bug me about a diagnostic fee.

Also, on the tie rod - were yours part of the recall ever? Just curious as mine was recalled for bad tie rod ends - they replaced them and then reset the toe (not a full alignment)....
No recall here, it was only 2010+ that they recalled, my 09, no dice. My max care has $0 deductible, so they try to get money from me by having me pay a diagnostic fee. Its whatever, 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. They arent paying for the alignment next week either when they replace the tie rod. oh well.