DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics


Notices


Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-19-2012, 02:23 PM
Metallifan Metallifan is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ohio
Age: 21
Posts: 57
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram SLT
Trim Level: SLT Laraime
Color: White
Engine: 1993-1993 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp 325lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:28
Metallifan is on a distinguished road
Default No power?

I have a 2001 4WD Ram 1500 Ext Cab with the 5.9L.

Just replaced my trans myself with a used one from a 97. Came with a transfer case attached, so I just used it. I had to swap out all the governer pressure sensors and solenoids and overdrive sensors and solenoids on the valve body because the 2000+ models use different ones. I got new ones, not from my old trans.

So, I did all that. This trans slips during second, just like my old one... Awesome. Anyway, with my old trans, I could still hammer on it and it would go just fine. Just how a big V8 should feel. But after I've put this trans in, If I try WOT from a stop or during second gear, it moves barely any faster, but the motor sounds like it's wide open. It does not feel like a slip. It feels like it's catching and the motor sounds like it's open, but it just has no go. WOT during 3rd or 4th feels as it should, plenty of power.

The throttle cable is very loose, but I don't know how to adjust it. I doubt it, but could it be it? Or is the trans about to implode right after I bought it? I replaced plugs, cap, rotor, wires because they were due anyway. No change. Trans fluid level is fine.

I have CEL for both O2 sensors. Don't even have them hooked up because they're both bad. Don't think this is the cause because I did the same thing with my old trans.

Any suggestions or thoughts?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2  
Old 11-21-2012, 04:37 PM
ramvan2500's Avatar
ramvan2500 ramvan2500 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida USA
Posts: 1,830
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep Power: 4
Rep:127
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallifan View Post
I have a 2001 4WD Ram 1500 Ext Cab with the 5.9L.

Just replaced my trans myself with a used one from a 97. Came with a transfer case attached, so I just used it. I had to swap out all the governer pressure sensors and solenoids and overdrive sensors and solenoids on the valve body because the 2000+ models use different ones. I got new ones, not from my old trans.

So, I did all that. This trans slips during second, just like my old one... Awesome. Anyway, with my old trans, I could still hammer on it and it would go just fine. Just how a big V8 should feel. But after I've put this trans in, If I try WOT from a stop or during second gear, it moves barely any faster, but the motor sounds like it's wide open. It does not feel like a slip. It feels like it's catching and the motor sounds like it's open, but it just has no go. WOT during 3rd or 4th feels as it should, plenty of power.

The throttle cable is very loose, but I don't know how to adjust it. I doubt it, but could it be it? Or is the trans about to implode right after I bought it? I replaced plugs, cap, rotor, wires because they were due anyway. No change. Trans fluid level is fine.

I have CEL for both O2 sensors. Don't even have them hooked up because they're both bad. Don't think this is the cause because I did the same thing with my old trans.

Any suggestions or thoughts?
Well I can help you out with the transmission issue which is what seems to be the center point of the problems. Anyways the no or slipping 2nd gear can be cause by many things, from a simple band misadjustment to the famous leaking direct clutch inner seal which.

Some of the things you should do first is check to make sure the band is adjusted proper, the front band, this is for 2nd gear. Make sure the strut and anchor didn't fall so on. Next thing you might consider doing is replacing the front servo assembly from sonnax or atleast the cover from sonnax, the stock cover leaks between the cover and the pin so you end up with a long slide 2-3 shift and sometimes but rarely no 2-3 shifts. But like I said it is rare. The worst case is a seal leak that causes no 2-3 shifts or a slipping/delayed 2-3 shift. But normally if that seal is leaking bad enough you will slip in reverse that is if you even have a reverse gear at that point. So just start out with the band adjustment, you can find directions all over the web on adjusting that band. And if you have any questions just ask away
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-21-2012, 11:04 PM
Metallifan Metallifan is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ohio
Age: 21
Posts: 57
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram SLT
Trim Level: SLT Laraime
Color: White
Engine: 1993-1993 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp 325lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:28
Metallifan is on a distinguished road
Default

I've found if I try WOT from a stop, it shifts 1-2 fine, but doesn't shift 2-3 at all, just redlines until I let off the gas, then it shifts immediately. I took the valve body off to get to the overdrive solenoid harness and the band anchor was still there and the band felt tight, so I didn't touch it. The anchor fell off on my old trans and I ran like that for 2 months, still had 2nd gear. Don't ask me how in the hell I did, because I don't know. Band was COMPLETELY loose, but it somehow still worked. Didn't find out till I dropped the old trans out. Lol. Isn't the adjustment for that band on the outside of the trans case? Reverse is fine. I've noticed that it always slips into 2nd after I do a WOT, too. And it actually had power like it should twice today. I've just been trying little bouts of WOT to see what it does. I'd like to be able to get moving on the highway if I need to. I'll try adjusting that band tomorrow. Just bought myself an inch pound torque wrench. How hard is the servo to replace?

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-22-2012, 12:12 AM
ramvan2500's Avatar
ramvan2500 ramvan2500 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida USA
Posts: 1,830
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep Power: 4
Rep:127
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallifan View Post
I've found if I try WOT from a stop, it shifts 1-2 fine, but doesn't shift 2-3 at all, just redlines until I let off the gas, then it shifts immediately. I took the valve body off to get to the overdrive solenoid harness and the band anchor was still there and the band felt tight, so I didn't touch it. The anchor fell off on my old trans and I ran like that for 2 months, still had 2nd gear. Don't ask me how in the hell I did, because I don't know. Band was COMPLETELY loose, but it somehow still worked. Didn't find out till I dropped the old trans out. Lol. Isn't the adjustment for that band on the outside of the trans case? Reverse is fine. I've noticed that it always slips into 2nd after I do a WOT, too. And it actually had power like it should twice today. I've just been trying little bouts of WOT to see what it does. I'd like to be able to get moving on the highway if I need to. I'll try adjusting that band tomorrow. Just bought myself an inch pound torque wrench. How hard is the servo to replace?

Thanks for the help.
Well if the band and is all good then it's probably the servo or the seal, if reverse works perfectly then it's less likely the seal BUT THAT DOESN'T ELIMINATE IT. The front band adjustment is outside the case and the rear band is inside the transmission. But you don't have to adjust the rear band often, almost never because you only use the rear band in MANUAL 1st gear and reverse and well you only use reverse for a short hair second and you use manual 1st almost never. The servo is extremely easy to replace, you have to remove the pan but it is as easy to replace as an oil filter. You just might need a 8" c-clamp. You can replace the cover which is like 35 bucks or the entire servo for about 120, this is the parts cost for sonnax. I recommend you just replace the entire servo because that replacement servo has 15% more area for a much firmer 2nd gear.

If it is the seal which I don't mean to hurt you, seems like it may be a seal based on the way you describe how it won't shift until you let go of the gas. But if it's the seal that is a easy job to replace it, just have to remove the transmission, trans pump, then remove the front band, direct clutch, then take off the clutch piston retainer, then springs, then finally you remove the piston and replace seal and do reverse operation. being sure to replace pump gasket and seal.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-22-2012, 12:40 PM
Metallifan Metallifan is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ohio
Age: 21
Posts: 57
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram SLT
Trim Level: SLT Laraime
Color: White
Engine: 1993-1993 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp 325lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:28
Metallifan is on a distinguished road
Default

Thanks.

Got a link for the servo assembly?

Shifted fine today, no slips or anything. I don't get it...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-22-2012, 01:59 PM
ramvan2500's Avatar
ramvan2500 ramvan2500 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida USA
Posts: 1,830
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep Power: 4
Rep:127
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallifan View Post
Thanks.

Got a link for the servo assembly?

Shifted fine today, no slips or anything. I don't get it...
Well just because it shifted fine today doesn't mean the problem is gone, temperature and altitude along with pressure makes differences in operation.

Here is a link to the part, manufacture link
http://www.sonnax.com/product-lines/...ion/parts/3279

The part number is on there site, you can use a search engine to find a retailer by using that part number, every retailer sells at a different price so I'm going to leave price matching up to you.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-22-2012, 06:24 PM
Metallifan Metallifan is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ohio
Age: 21
Posts: 57
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram SLT
Trim Level: SLT Laraime
Color: White
Engine: 1993-1993 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp 325lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:28
Metallifan is on a distinguished road
Default

I know. I'm just saying I can't believe how temperamental it is.

Thanks for the link.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-22-2012, 06:48 PM
ramvan2500's Avatar
ramvan2500 ramvan2500 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida USA
Posts: 1,830
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep Power: 4
Rep:127
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallifan View Post
I know. I'm just saying I can't believe how temperamental it is.

Thanks for the link.
Not a problem, more than happy to help. Yes temperamental indeed, but it isn't uncommon and many times things seems to be temperature related. But every chrysler transmission that is based off the immediate design of the 727 will have issues with 2nd gear sooner or later. And they all end up leaking at the servo, Chrysler never made any lengths to design a o-ring into the servo cover but most people don't keep vehicles long enough to anymore to the point they would experience issues.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Advertisement






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:20 AM.


= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors


=Gigathreads Network=
CLUBS MOPAR NATION DSM GPMM MAMM JAM
DIESEL Diesel Forum      
CHEVY Chevy Camaro Forum Chevy Volt Forum    
CHRYSLER Chrysler 300C Forum      
DODGE Dodge Avenger Forum Dodge Caliber Forum Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Charger Forum
  Dodge Circuit Forum Dodge Hornet Forum Dodge Magnum Forum Dodge Nitro Forum
  Dodge Ram Forum Dodge Dakota Forum Dodge Durango Forum Dodge Dart Forum
FORD Ford Raptor Forum Ford F150 Forum Ford F100 Forum  
JEEP Jeep Forum      
PONTIAC Pontiac G8 Forum      
SRT SRT Viper Forum SRT Cuda Forum