DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-21-2012, 10:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 ramvan 3500
Trim Level: base
Color: white
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
another white van is on a distinguished road
Default gearshift cable adjustment?

Hi all,

New to the site here hopeing to find some advise on adjusting the gearshift cable.

I just replaced all the solenoids in my 46RE transmission after having no shift out of 1st gear problems.

I have checked here and found the fsm
Gearshift Cable Adjustment Procedure:

1. Apply the parking brake. Shift the transmission into PARK.
2. Release the cable adjuster lock tab (underneath the steering column) to unlock the cable. This lock tab is right at the upper end of the cable.
3. Raise (or crawl underneath) the vehicle.
4. Disengage the cable eyelet from the shift lever on the transmission.
5. Verify the transmission shift lever is in the PARK detent by moving the lever fully rearward. The last rearward detent is the PARK position.
6. Verify positive engagement of the transmission park lock by attempting to rotate the driveshaft. Shaft will not rotate when park lock is engaged.
7. Snap the cable eyelet onto the transmission shift lever.
8. Lower the vehicle (or crawl back out from underneath).
9. Lock the shift cable by pressing the cable adjuster lock tab downward until it snaps into place.
10. Check engine starting. The engine should start only in PARK and NEUTRAL.
11. Release the parking brake.

My problem is number 2. "Release the cable adjuster lock tab (underneath the steering column) to unlock the cable. This lock tab is right at the upper end of the cable."
can't seem to adjust the gearshift cable (from the steering column to the transmission)

It will disconect at the transmission manual shift lever ok.

Removed the gearshift cable lock tab under the steering column, but the cable won't unlock or slide to change the adjustment.

Is there something else to pry or prode to loosen up the cable?

I have the dash pad under the steering wheel off.

Thanks for any suggestions,
George
2001 Dodge Ram Van 5.9
Sponsored links
Old 11-22-2012, 02:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by another white van View Post
Hi all,

New to the site here hopeing to find some advise on adjusting the gearshift cable.

I just replaced all the solenoids in my 46RE transmission after having no shift out of 1st gear problems.

I have checked here and found the fsm
Gearshift Cable Adjustment Procedure:

1. Apply the parking brake. Shift the transmission into PARK.
2. Release the cable adjuster lock tab (underneath the steering column) to unlock the cable. This lock tab is right at the upper end of the cable.
3. Raise (or crawl underneath) the vehicle.
4. Disengage the cable eyelet from the shift lever on the transmission.
5. Verify the transmission shift lever is in the PARK detent by moving the lever fully rearward. The last rearward detent is the PARK position.
6. Verify positive engagement of the transmission park lock by attempting to rotate the driveshaft. Shaft will not rotate when park lock is engaged.
7. Snap the cable eyelet onto the transmission shift lever.
8. Lower the vehicle (or crawl back out from underneath).
9. Lock the shift cable by pressing the cable adjuster lock tab downward until it snaps into place.
10. Check engine starting. The engine should start only in PARK and NEUTRAL.
11. Release the parking brake.

My problem is number 2. "Release the cable adjuster lock tab (underneath the steering column) to unlock the cable. This lock tab is right at the upper end of the cable."
can't seem to adjust the gearshift cable (from the steering column to the transmission)

It will disconect at the transmission manual shift lever ok.

Removed the gearshift cable lock tab under the steering column, but the cable won't unlock or slide to change the adjustment.

Is there something else to pry or prode to loosen up the cable?

I have the dash pad under the steering wheel off.

Thanks for any suggestions,
George
2001 Dodge Ram Van 5.9
Well I have a 95 and hopefully Chrysler didn't change the steering column design much. But usually to adjust the shift linkage it is better to do it at the transmission by bending the cable bracket slightly. As far as adjustment at the column for the 01 year I don't know. I got rid of my 02 or 03 before I had any issues.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

"But usually to adjust the shift linkage it is better to do it at the transmission by bending the cable bracket slightly."

Wow, that was way too easy!!!

On to the throttle valve cable adjustments.

Thanks Ram Van 2500
Old 11-22-2012, 04:51 PM

ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
"But usually to adjust the shift linkage it is better to do it at the transmission by bending the cable bracket slightly."

Wow, that was way too easy!!!

On to the throttle valve cable adjustments.

Thanks Ram Van 2500
TV Cable adjustments are done on the throttle body. Just take the dog house off and remove the air cleaner. Than you just push down on the adjuster and move the cable sheath inward or outward. For stock position the adjustment should be so the throttle lever on the transmission moves in sync with the gas pedal and doesn't lag behind or advance ahead. It takes a good 5-15 minutes to make a perfect adjustment. Be careful with this adjustment as it can end up causing shifting issues which WILL burn out the clutches if not done with care. But if you want later upshifts you want the cable to be loose, if you want early upshifts then adjust the cable so it's tight. The stock shifts at WOT occur around 4800RPM with +/- 200RPM for the 46RE and +/- 400 RPM for the 46RH. This is a good way to confirm the adjustment that is if you have a tach. If not then you will just have to adjust the cable and wish that it is right or connect a diagnostics tool to the ODB2 port under the steer column.

If you need visual aid with adjusting the TV cable I have a factory service manual cut out laying around somewhere on this website that I can find and link you to.

Last edited by ramvan2500; 11-22-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks again for the advice Ram Van 2500, the cables are moveing in sync with the gas petal and it shifts through the gears as I remember, hum, I am going to find a tack I have stored in my garage and dial it to the factory spec's.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Thanks again for the advice Ram Van 2500, the cables are moveing in sync with the gas petal and it shifts through the gears as I remember, hum, I am going to find a tack I have stored in my garage and dial it to the factory spec's.
welcome, not a problem at all. yea for the 46RH it should shift WOT 4800 RPM +/- 400 RPM and for the 46RE it should shift at WOT 4800 RPM +/- 200 RPM.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Last night after driving for20-25 min. the "trans temp", check engine, and the "overdrive off" lights came on and could not switch the overdrive back on at the gearshift.

a P1391 code, intermittent loss of cam or crankcase sensor.

I pulled over and the transmission seemed warm when I put my hand close to it. I let it sit for 20 min. and drove it back home when the "trans temp" and "overdrive off" lights came back on as I was pulling up to my house.

History:

First I replaced the governor and transducer solenoids and adjusted the bands on the outside of the transmission and this solved the issue of not changing out of 1st gear, yea.

Then a few days later the cel displayed the code p1740, TCC or OD solenoid performance. The "trans temp" and "overdrive off" lights also came on.

I ordered the tcc and od solenoids for this and installed them, changed the filter and atf+4 fluid (4 quarts and top the fluid off with 1 quart more).

Not sure what to do or check next for the P1391 code and trans temp.

Would the seemingly obvious to replace the crank and camshaft sensors?
Verify the band adjustment.
Find my tac to verify the tv cable adjustment.
I've been reading about how the flywheel may be cracked, is there an easy way to check this without droping the transmission.

any thoughts?
Old 11-27-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Last night after driving for20-25 min. the "trans temp", check engine, and the "overdrive off" lights came on and could not switch the overdrive back on at the gearshift.

a P1391 code, intermittent loss of cam or crankcase sensor.

I pulled over and the transmission seemed warm when I put my hand close to it. I let it sit for 20 min. and drove it back home when the "trans temp" and "overdrive off" lights came back on as I was pulling up to my house.

History:

First I replaced the governor and transducer solenoids and adjusted the bands on the outside of the transmission and this solved the issue of not changing out of 1st gear, yea.

Then a few days later the cel displayed the code p1740, TCC or OD solenoid performance. The "trans temp" and "overdrive off" lights also came on.

I ordered the tcc and od solenoids for this and installed them, changed the filter and atf+4 fluid (4 quarts and top the fluid off with 1 quart more).

Not sure what to do or check next for the P1391 code and trans temp.

Would the seemingly obvious to replace the crank and camshaft sensors?
Verify the band adjustment.
Find my tac to verify the tv cable adjustment.
I've been reading about how the flywheel may be cracked, is there an easy way to check this without droping the transmission.

any thoughts?
The cam/crank sensor yes have that taken care of, probably just a loose wire or the transmission got so hot it melted the sensor.

I am thinking that you may have mis-adjusted the throttle valve cable, if it isn't adjusted properly it can cause overheating of the transmission. If the cable was ever to fall off the transmission than the transmission would burn up in a heart beat, clutches and all. So smart to just double check or triple check that cable adjustment, sometimes first timers don't adjust it right, and sometimes it cannot be adjusted without replace the throttle valve because of bore wear. Sonnax makes a replacement valve for that if this was to be the case.

If the transmission gets too hot it will kick you out of overdrive (only on the RE models or RH models with trailer tow package), so it sounds certainly like it is overheating and my guess is that throttle valve cable adjustment.

As for the flywheel, I seriously seriously doubt it is cracked. But the only way to tell if it is cracked is to remove the transmission and hit it with something metal and listen for a ringing, if it rings it is fine, BUT, if it rattles it is cracked. But again I seriously doubt it will be cracked, the torque converter bolts are the weakest link between the transmission and engine.

Also inspect the transmission fluid, if it is very dark or has stuff floating in it then there is something of a mechanical issue more than an electronic problem.

Last edited by ramvan2500; 11-27-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks again Ramvan2500 for the quick response, what a luxury.

I going to take care of the sensors here shortly.

" I am thinking that you may have mis-adjusted the throttle valve cable"

When I took the van for a test drive, I un-snapped the tv cable at the intake and and placed it back on at the eyelet so it was bit (2-3mm tighter or so) and I noticed no difference so I just left it at the original position. Is there a way to rule out the throttle valve bore issue?
Old 11-27-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Thanks again Ramvan2500 for the quick response, what a luxury.

I going to take care of the sensors here shortly.

" I am thinking that you may have mis-adjusted the throttle valve cable"

When I took the van for a test drive, I un-snapped the tv cable at the intake and and placed it back on at the eyelet so it was bit (2-3mm tighter or so) and I noticed no difference so I just left it at the original position. Is there a way to rule out the throttle valve bore issue?
Yea no problem, always happy to help and I live by email so I am pretty quick with responses. But anyways to rule out the throttle valve bore, if you have difficulties with setting the shift speed by means of the throttle valve cable and you keep getting inconsistent shifts then it's probably that valve. To adjust the throttle valve cable you don't remove the cable from the eyelet, but you push or pull on the sheath of the cable. But to do this you must disengauge the locking mechanism on the cable, there should be a white clip or a button with and arrow on it that you would push down on. The white clip would be removed. I will give you visual aid later tonight, I have a factory service manual and I put the pages for TV cable adjustment into PDF format.