New to the site here hopeing to find some advise on adjusting the gearshift cable.
I just replaced all the solenoids in my 46RE transmission after having no shift out of 1st gear problems.
I have checked here and found the fsm
1. Apply the parking brake. Shift the transmission into PARK.
2. Release the cable adjuster lock tab (underneath the steering column) to unlock the cable. This lock tab is right at the upper end of the cable.
3. Raise (or crawl underneath) the vehicle
4. Disengage the cable eyelet from the shift lever on the transmission.
5. Verify the transmission shift lever is in the PARK detent by moving the lever fully rearward. The last rearward detent is the PARK position.
6. Verify positive engagement of the transmission park lock by attempting to rotate the driveshaft. Shaft will not rotate when park lock is engaged.
7. Snap the cable eyelet onto the transmission shift lever.
8. Lower the vehicle (or crawl back out from underneath).
9. Lock the shift cable by pressing the cable adjuster lock tab downward until it snaps into place.
10. Check engine starting. The engine should start only in PARK and NEUTRAL.
11. Release the parking brake.
My problem is number 2. "Release the cable adjuster lock tab (underneath the steering column) to unlock the cable. This lock tab is right at the upper end of the cable."
can't seem to adjust the gearshift cable (from the steering column to the transmission)
It will disconect at the transmission manual shift lever ok.
Removed the gearshift cable lock tab under the steering column, but the cable won't unlock or slide to change the adjustment.
Is there something else to pry or prode to loosen up the cable?
I have the dash pad under the steering wheel off.
Thanks for any suggestions,
2001 Dodge Ram Van 5.9