DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 1ST Generation Dodge Ram 1993 & Older Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 1st Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-03-2012, 11:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1989 Ram 100
Trim Level: Rust
Color: Blue
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:10
jscar305 is on a distinguished road
Default 89 Dodge 100 HELP!

I have high beams but no low beams. Switch is on the column. Whats my problem?

Also..is the fuel sender a stand alone device or is it integrated with an in tank fuel pump?

Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 12-03-2012, 07:50 PM
Team Bully

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 QC TRX4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:1713
ShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant future

Welcome joining here is a great decision for any RAM owner so much knowledge and information here!

Here are some how to threads to some common questions

How to upload pictures to your gallery

How to insert image in post
Old 12-05-2012, 02:06 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscar305 View Post
I have high beams but no low beams. Switch is on the column. Whats my problem?

Also..is the fuel sender a stand alone device or is it integrated with an in tank fuel pump?

Thanks
You need to check the voltage (pull the bulb and check the plug) to see if ur getting 12 volts with the low beams on. If the high beams are working you're getting 12 volts to them...hope that makes sense. If you are getting 12 volts with the low beams on, the switch is good and the bulbs are defective. If not the switch is bad, and check both sides. (i think, lol) I'm not sure about the fuel sender but they're usually in the tank and pita to change. Forgot, check your fuel sender wiring under the truck and behind the instrument panel and make sure all is connected.

Last edited by RadioFlyer; 12-05-2012 at 02:08 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:29 AM
Paultocologist

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Cloaking
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1734
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

^Like stated^ check the power at the plug on the back of the headlight. You'll have one negative and two positive with the high beams on. Low beams would be one neg and one pos (two outer vertical prongs). If all is well there check the ground, even if you have to run a jumper from the socket to the ground (with just the low beams on) Chrysler in their infinite wisdom sometimes has unique problems and the low beam wire will act as a ground and make the high-beams work. Again...if all is well there. Check the switch on the column. Especially if it's been sitting.

On the 89 D100 I'm pretty sure you still have the mechanical pump (D100=6cyl?) bolted to the block...so I guess it could/would be considered a "stand alone" pump...kinda like me at family gatherings...waaaay alone.

If it is the mechanical pump it's a relatively straight forward swap and probably sells new for under $30.

DISCLAIMER
If you are offended easily don't click on my screen name

Last edited by Warlock III; 12-05-2012 at 09:33 AM.