DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-03-2012, 09:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Outdoorsman
Trim Level: SLT Outdoorsman
Color: Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
bigalf16 is on a distinguished road
Default B pillar and windown vents

Hello All
I recently saw how easy it would be to remove the black tape from the B pillar on my 12 Ram Outdoorsman. I had always thought more black anything didn't add much to the truck, more of a chrome guy. Well I was all set to peel the tape off, but there was an issue. The window vent visors are stuck over part of the covering. Any idea how much damage I will do to vents and paint if I remove them to get at the black tape cover? I was thinking about cutting around the vents with scissors and then maybe burn the rest of the tape off???
I used to have a 97 Ram, and I was always willing to try mods on that truck. I learned a lot and am confident in my modding skill, but Ill tell you what, I am afraid to touch this new rig. I got it with a KN CAI and exhaust already done to it, and obviously the window vent visors. I have been reading about HID headlights and I am soooooo tempted to attempt retrofit projects, but I have resisted. This tape removal was my cherry project, and now I am scared to do anything. I know chicken, cluck cluck, but I would appreciate any advice on how to procede.
I appreciate any information and I enjoy reading about all you sweet rigs and am really envious of some of the rigs on this site.

Al
Sponsored links
Old 12-03-2012, 10:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: grey
Slate Mike is on a distinguished road

Why not cut around it with a razor knife. If the vents loosen, then you can pry them up and off or try to insert a little glue under the loose end.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew 4x4
Trim Level: sport
Color: maximum steel metalic
Rep:14
PostalTwo is on a distinguished road

i would pry the vent up just a bit and try to sneak the tape out if the vent comes off a bit i would just reomve it buy some 3m double sided tape and reinstall. u can prob remove the vent with some fishing line kinda like when u debage (seen a video on youtube). basically he used the line like a saw and cut thru the tape then he just peeled the tape off

Last edited by PostalTwo; 12-04-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:02 AM
Ram Ham

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1475
KA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud of

I would start removing the tape from the bottom (the lower window channel) and peel all the way up to where you run into your visors. This tape peels very nicely when you blow a hairdryer directly onto it.. so, when you get up to the visors (I'm assuming you have the tape-on versions?) use a piece of fishing line to peel the visors up slightly. Then hit the tape with the hairdryer, making it very pliable and peel it out from underneath.

This may or may not work as I don't know exactly what you are working with. If you could post pictures of your truck as it sits right now, that would be extremely helpful.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Big Horn 1500 4WD
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Red
superdlb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalf16 View Post
Hello All
I recently saw how easy it would be to remove the black tape from the B pillar on my 12 Ram Outdoorsman. I had always thought more black anything didn't add much to the truck, more of a chrome guy. Well I was all set to peel the tape off, but there was an issue. The window vent visors are stuck over part of the covering. Any idea how much damage I will do to vents and paint if I remove them to get at the black tape cover? I was thinking about cutting around the vents with scissors and then maybe burn the rest of the tape off???
I used to have a 97 Ram, and I was always willing to try mods on that truck. I learned a lot and am confident in my modding skill, but Ill tell you what, I am afraid to touch this new rig. I got it with a KN CAI and exhaust already done to it, and obviously the window vent visors. I have been reading about HID headlights and I am soooooo tempted to attempt retrofit projects, but I have resisted. This tape removal was my cherry project, and now I am scared to do anything. I know chicken, cluck cluck, but I would appreciate any advice on how to procede.
I appreciate any information and I enjoy reading about all you sweet rigs and am really envious of some of the rigs on this site.

Al
You could just remove those stick on window vents and replace them with some Putco in channel window vents they look a lot better than the stick on ones and are not as likely to fly off going down the highway or while in a car wash. I have had two sets of these and love them and would not ever buy the tape on ones.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:49 PM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:1189
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

I have mixed feelings on the B pillar tape removal.

On my blue 09 quad, I had it on there, and I removed it. I LOVED the way it looked on the blue with no tape.

On my black '11, it was an option I didnt pop for, because I removed it on my blue truck. but having had the black truck for a year now, I REALLY wish I had it. the black shows fingerprints alot worse. I am considering plastidip as a replacement.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...