DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-27-2012, 04:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: RAM
Rep:33
Copperhead Ram is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigolyt View Post
I'm still not confident that my dealer can get this done.

They had 3rd party company install the license plate frame (which doesn't even work yet), and honestly I'm not a big fan of it, I'd rather have the stock park view in the tailgate.

None the less, the dealer doesn't know anything about either optoon. Frustrating....
Take it to another dealership... one that has done it before. Some dealerships have very knowledgeable and experienced service technicians... sadly, most do not.
Sponsored links
Old 12-27-2012, 04:25 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram
Rep:43
bigolyt is on a distinguished road

Only bad thing is I had the dealer throw in a rear view cam install when I purchased the truck. Not sure another dealer would honor it.?
Old 12-27-2012, 05:21 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2616
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that the same radio models are in the new DART, a couple models of Jeep, & the Durango
They must have had several requests for the Durango & Jeep PARKVIEW back up cameras to be added, as it has shown to be with the Rams

I believe that i read that BIG BROTHER wants back up cameras on every 2014 vehicle made in the USA
http://content.usatoday.com/communit...ght-vehicles/1
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 01-05-2013, 09:58 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:35
Zixxer is on a distinguished road

I'm subscribing...same deal here...I want the park view camera setup and it did not come on the truck I bought. I thought it would be a no bainer to add it or throw a lockpick on the radio...wrong on both counts. I love the truck but I hate not having the camera setup.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zixxer View Post
I'm subscribing...same deal here...I want the park view camera setup and it did not come on the truck I bought. I thought it would be a no bainer to add it or throw a lockpick on the radio...wrong on both counts. I love the truck but I hate not having the camera setup.
Im not worried about the lockpick, VR is fine and I dont need to watch DVD's while I drive (I didnt even get the center console add on).

All I want is my backup cam... and getting nothing but the run around. Luckily I had the dealer "throw it in" so the work will get done, its just a matter of when.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:02 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:35
Zixxer is on a distinguished road

I can confirm that it's likely March to June, according to Ram officials, before we'll see the Mopar kits.

Lockpick says give them a couple of months, they are working on it right now.

I'm betting the lockpick will be the solution, cheaper, and quicker. The stories of folks trying to add cameras to the 2012 and prior is bad enough...new system for 2013...I only hope it's easier.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:51 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2616
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

first of all, the backup camera goes into the proper tailgate handle
not in the license plate like the Dart car

so you first need the proper tailgate handle, preferably one that has a lock on the opposite side
then you install the camera lens into the hole opposite of the locking mechanism
a wire pigtail plugs into the camera & hangs just outside of the bottom of the tailgate,
at that point another pigtail plugs into the first pigtail ( that is done so that you can remove the tailgate when needed )
the second pigtail is also short, it only is about 3 feet long, likely so you can work on the rear exhaust section.
then a 3rd pigtail follows the frame along the drivers side, as does your tail light wiring, to a point where it enters your firewall & then goes up to the rear of the radio & plugs into it
The image is displayed on the touch screen, not the rear view mirror

when you buy the camera kit, it comes with an installation CD
crawl under a new 2013 Ram that has the tailgate handle camera & see for yourself

my rear view camera on my '09

Parkview back up camera is standard equipment on the 2013 Laramie quad & crew cabs and Laramie Longhorn crew cab models
Optional on the other models
Reference 3 pages from the rear of your 2013 Ram brochure, Safety & Security section
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 01-08-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:06 PM

Im familiar with "how" it works...

The 2013's have the camera in the tailgate and the output on the headunit. Thats not the problem. Problem is Chrysler and my dealer are saying there is no additional part number for this in their systems, which baffles me because I've seen it on 10 different 2013's with the same head unit I have (8.4a).

They did the same thing for the aluminum running boards. They said they dont have an "accessory" part number, that they only have a "replacement" part since you can only get them from the factory with it installed.

I think its just NEW stuff and it hasnt trickled down hill yet...
Old 01-08-2013, 10:12 PM

Vehicle: 13 1500 Laramie Crew 6'4
Trim Level: Laramie 8Speed 4x4
Color: True Pearl Blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:71
Cookie Monster will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigolyt View Post
Im familiar with "how" it works...

The 2013's have the camera in the tailgate and the output on the headunit. Thats not the problem. Problem is Chrysler and my dealer are saying there is no additional part number for this in their systems, which baffles me because I've seen it on 10 different 2013's with the same head unit I have (8.4a)....

Reason there is no part number is because until March Parts for 2013's are not available for order and sale. They have been restricted till then as all parts are going towards new production only. Some have asked what about for replacments under warranty. Well the simple answer is a warranty replacment part isn't a part that is for sale.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
Reason there is no part number is because until March Parts for 2013's are not available for order and sale. They have been restricted till then as all parts are going towards new production only. Some have asked what about for replacments under warranty. Well the simple answer is a warranty replacment part isn't a part that is for sale.
I talked to the parts guy about getting the aluminum running boards installed. He had to look up a VIN that already had them on the lot, and found a part number but it was a replacement part but he would sell it to me... granted it was ridiculously expensive.

Regardless, sounds like we need to wait a couple months until we get some parts available....