DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-05-2012, 09:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
cclark666 is on a distinguished road
Default Tuners (general)

If and when BOTH BullyDog and Diablo Sport have tuners out for the 2012 RAM, witch one will you be buying? Why?
I have done a couple small mods to my truck (CAI/Exhaust) and plan on doing a few more (Headers/possible Tuner). A tuner is certainly intriguing to me, however, they do not do nearly as much for gas as they do diesel (money vs pay-off).
I am most concerned about the longevity of my motor. I do not plan on racing my truck but I like the feeling of power. At the same time, I would like to keep my same MPG or improve.
My main question.... Will a tuner hurt my motor? Do they simply lean out the ratios to get max PEAK horsepower or are they more conservative/smart than that?
Old 12-06-2012, 03:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Big Horn
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Deep Water Blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:611
InDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to all

The Tuners do more than just mess with your A/F ratio's (Although I'm sure they do adjust them) they are much smarter than that. I know quite a few guys are going with Diablo and I would suggest looking into HemiFever's custom tunes with the Diablo Tuner as the gains are pretty damn good. I'm personally going with a Bully Dog just to be different lol I've been supporting them since before a tuner was announced (I started the damn thread lol) and want to see what they are capable of in comparison to Diablo and should be here (at my house) relatively soon.
They really don't hurt your motor, they mainly free up the HP the computer locks down for economical reasons really