DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-15-2012, 09:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: None at the moment
Trim Level: N/A
Color: N/A
Rep:10
Cruz R. is on a distinguished road
Default I am about to buy a dodge ram 2500 5.9L

i want a dodge 2500 diesel from 2004 to 2006 idk b/w auto/manual yet...but i have a list of stuff i want to do and what yall think about it...1st. K&N Air Intake System. 2nd. Banks power high-ram 3 1/2 inch air intake manifold. 3rd. MBRP XP Series T409 Stainless Steel 4" DUAL Exhaust System (Turbo-Back ). then dual tips for that. 4.a gauge pillar and gauges....i was thinking about putting a new Mean Green High Output Alternator in it as well, with new batteries, but i've not found any yet. then i'm gong to get rims, then lift and tires and running boards and system stuff to....but i was wondering that with all the engine mods, before the big lift and tires, what my h.p. and torque and mileage might be?? and is there a chip that would help any? and i was thinking about putting twin turbos on it to...any suggestions or comments, please reply.
Sponsored links
Old 04-21-2012, 11:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram 3500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Red
Engine: 2005-???? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Cthulhu is on a distinguished road

Why do you want a diesel?

Do you have a load to pull?

What kind of work do you do?

I see you are 17 yo... That leads me to believe you are possibly looking for something to 'prove how much power you can handle', while giving us diesel operators a bad name by 'rolling coal'..

Convince us otherwise.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:07 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: sport
Color: deep cherry red
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
pickupman2500 is on a distinguished road

dude i think you scared him off

must be nice to be that young and have that kind of money
Old 05-02-2012, 10:33 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:61
dodgeguy will become famous soon enough

Quite frankly, Cthulhu, I don't really see how it's any of your business what he does, or how that relates to his question.
If the kid wants a diesel even though he won't be hauling anything, so what? It isn't your money.
I spend a lot of time around diesels on ranches, and it doesn't offend me in the least that he wants to "roll coal."
If you don't like the fact that he can get a diesel even though he won't probably use it that much, if it really offends you that much, then don't bother posting. Problem solved.

OP, get a chip. I believe my uncle has a Bullydog and loves it. A buddy of mine has a Quadzilla and really likes his. I also hear good things about the H&S chips.
Everything else you talked about looked pretty good.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:29 AM

Vehicle: 2011 1500 & 2006 2500
Trim Level: Express &ThunderRoad
Color: Flame Red & White
Rep:15
2011lilred is on a distinguished road

1st - I am running an Airaid MPX set up, when I researched it they claimed more hp than the K&N, however I think they might have changed the design as mine goes all the way to the turbo and the new ones don't look like they do.

2nd - good idea, but too early in the build...get a tuner next. I am running the Hypertech Max Energy on stage 3 "Extreme". They claim to be the only programmer with which you can still tow on the highest setting - with an automatic they claim +113hp and +185tq, with manual they claim +176hp and +298tq. I get 23-24+ mpg on highway and 21-22 mpg in town with just these two mods plus a camper shell, an automatic and factory 4.10 gears. Stock was about 19 on highway and 17 in town. These two mods paid for themselves in the first year in fuel savings!!

3rd - If you are going to bother to do a turbo-back swap on a Cummins, go with a 5-inch kit. I'm not 100% sure, but I think they are already 4-inch from the factory. This was going to be my next mod and I was going to use the Magnaflow kit. I guess I'm just getting to old to deal with the un-necessary noise so since it runs great without it, I never bothered.

Now that the big three are covered, lets get back to the manifold. Before Banks introduced the new 3 1/2 inch setup and only offered the 3 inch setup, my research lead me to the aFe Blade Runner. At the time, the Banks was +$400 and the aFe was $295 with a negligible peformance difference. Now that Banks offers the 3 1/2 setup, it looks really good!

What ever you plan on doing with your truck, be it towing, racing, or just profiling - good luck.

Last edited by 2011lilred; 05-03-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:40 AM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1189
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
Why do you want a diesel?

Do you have a load to pull?

What kind of work do you do?

I see you are 17 yo... That leads me to believe you are possibly looking for something to 'prove how much power you can handle', while giving us diesel operators a bad name by 'rolling coal'..

Convince us otherwise.
WOW...Uncalled for. For all you know he could be a 17 year old ranch-hand, working hard as hell for his money like I had to, and needs a diesel pickup to haul hay, pull stumps, move horses, etc.

Way to jump to conclusions, pal. As a Member Relations Manager, I will ask that you:

A-don't instigate our members.
B-get all the facts before you just start bad-mouthing people.

Thank you for your time.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Old 05-04-2012, 09:50 AM

Vehicle: Blue
Rep:3944
BlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post

He didn't ask for an opinion regarding his age, personality type or why he was asking the questions. Rude comments are not tolerated here, if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all. We are all here to help, not criticize.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:42 PM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black on Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:47
gusman is on a distinguished road

OP, shoot over to cumminsforum. I find theres more info on drivetrain components and modifications for our oil burners on there, but if exterior, interior, style etc.. mods are your question, ramforumz is the place to be!

Ive heard not so good things about banks and bullydog recently regarding cummins, and k&n intakes also have a bad rap, again this is only what ive read.

I'd stick with a smarty programmer, afe intake, and a 5" turbo back exhaust with a flow thru muffler. A friend of mine has an 03 5.9 and said straight piped the truck actually performed worse than when he had a flow thru muffler, that generation motor must like a little backpressure?
Old 05-05-2012, 12:43 AM

Vehicle: 2007 RAM
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:64
NWRQC will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusman View Post
OP, shoot over to cumminsforum. I find theres more info on drivetrain components and modifications for our oil burners on there, but if exterior, interior, style etc.. mods are your question, ramforumz is the place to be!

Ive heard not so good things about banks and bullydog recently regarding cummins, and k&n intakes also have a bad rap, again this is only what ive read.

I'd stick with a smarty programmer, afe intake, and a 5" turbo back exhaust with a flow thru muffler. A friend of mine has an 03 5.9 and said straight piped the truck actually performed worse than when he had a flow thru muffler, that generation motor must like a little backpressure?
This and I will try to find the intake "shoot out" review and post it here. I was looking for intakes for my 6.7 and ran across this dyno shootout that a magazine did (Yes I know most are biased and favor the "supporting" manufaturer or so it seems. I never believe reviews from them, but this one provided dyno runs and was very consistant). I believe that the two trucks they tested were both 5.9s and every single intake tested was witin 1hp of the stock airbox hp. Stock dyno run came in at 309hp each intake came in at 308hp-310hp and they did two runs per intake. I have no desire to get an intake now from that and coupled with the many reviews from people who own aftermarket intakes. ...all this time I thought diesels gained big numbers with aftermarket intakes....but they are just noise makers...
Old 05-07-2012, 07:07 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: sport
Color: deep cherry red
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
pickupman2500 is on a distinguished road

the favtory airbox has plenty of flow. the only reason to get an intake is more noise and also it looks better IMO but does it yield 300 bucks worth. i think not.