DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-08-2012, 10:51 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Rep:10
1500driver is on a distinguished road
Default Remote starter recommendations?

Thoughts on remote starters?

Dealer wants $650 for OEM. That seems steep, when I can get one installed at a reputable shop for $150. The aftermarket systems have much better range for the starters as well, which I don't think I'd ever need any way, but its there.

Lots of conflicting info about voiding warrenty, or disastrous damage caused by aftermarket starters. Probably lots of scare tactics on both sides. I'm sure if properly installed everything would be fine.

Opinions? Is there one brand that stands out above the rest? Locally without much searching, I can get a Viper remote starter, installed for $150. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, I'd be happy with just a simple remote starter. But would look at other options too....

Thanks.

Last edited by 1500driver; 12-08-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 12-08-2012, 01:13 PM
Conventional Eccentric

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:220
highlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura about

If you want simple then get the Viper for $150. It's a decent unit but make sure that price is from an authorised distributor/installer. If it isn't you have no recourse with Viper or anybody else if anything goes wrong.

Disclaimer: I'm getting old and my opinions will reflect that fact!
Old 12-08-2012, 08:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks Chef,

For sure I'm going with someone who knows inside out what they are doing. (and of course authorized....) Wouldn't trust one of the big box stores with some kid working part time hacking away in my electrical system.... Even if they are approved by whatever manufacturer....

Heck, I don't think I'd trust them to change a wiper blade. Everyone's gotta learn somewhere, but their learning process isn't going to be unsupervised while working on my truck.

Last edited by 1500driver; 12-08-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 1500 quad cab
Trim Level: St
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:42
Jimbug is on a distinguished road

You can search the forum for DB-ALL remote start. Its all plug and play and cost under $100. I paid $75 for mine. Took me all of 5 minutes to install it and uses my original key fob so I don't need to have a second one.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Ram
Trim Level: TRX4
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
CCXII is on a distinguished road

I have had factory remote start quoted from two different dealers for $355 and $381. You should check another dealer or 4...

[CENTER]Coba 29 LX * Dual 4' Firestik Antennas * [URL="http://www.autoanything.com/tonneau-covers/61A2056A0A0.aspx"]Extang Trifecta[/URL][/CENTER]
Old 12-09-2012, 11:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Dealer price seems high for sure, but I've seen others on the forums here quote the same price, and higher. Even at $350, I'd probably go another route even if I need another remote. Probably just leave it in the house without attaching to the key chain.

The DB-All sure looks like the route I'll go. Cheap, no wire splices, and works with factory FOB. Hard to beat that for sure.

Thanks for the feedback from all!

I'll post what I went with, and the results. Still open to suggestions though as nothing has been purchased yet!

Thanks again....

Last edited by 1500driver; 12-09-2012 at 11:01 PM. Reason: typo...
Old 12-09-2012, 11:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Big Horn
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Deep Water Blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:611
InDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbug View Post
You can search the forum for DB-ALL remote start. Its all plug and play and cost under $100. I paid $75 for mine. Took me all of 5 minutes to install it and uses my original key fob so I don't need to have a second one.
Yup go with this, the whole thing can be picked up for cheap and all you have to do is hit the lock button 3x and it starts up
Old 12-10-2012, 01:14 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 ram express
Trim Level: express
Color: black
dsexpress is on a distinguished road

I prefer the oem integrated kit myself, with no cutting or splicing. It comes with 2 new keys, plus you can still use your old (non remote start keys) and you should be in the $350 price range.

I guess I've had to chase, and fix too many of these electrical gremlins over the years due to some of these installers.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:16 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Big Horn
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Deep Water Blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:611
InDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to all

there's no cutting or splicing with the DB-All kit either, it plugs right into your starters factory wiring harness.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:31 PM

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Granite
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:40
06Stang is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1500driver View Post
Thoughts on remote starters?

Dealer wants $650 for OEM. That seems steep, when I can get one installed at a reputable shop for $150. The aftermarket systems have much better range for the starters as well, which I don't think I'd ever need any way, but its there.

Lots of conflicting info about voiding warrenty, or disastrous damage caused by aftermarket starters. Probably lots of scare tactics on both sides. I'm sure if properly installed everything would be fine.

Opinions? Is there one brand that stands out above the rest? Locally without much searching, I can get a Viper remote starter, installed for $150. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, I'd be happy with just a simple remote starter. But would look at other options too....

Thanks.
I got my remote start for $180 from the dealership and the install is simple. Very easy to do.