DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram - Complete Builds

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram - Complete Builds When you are modding everything on your Dodge Ram, this is the place to showcase the build.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
FGT Motorsport
Bayou Goat Mounts
Mopar Online Parts!

Old 12-14-2013, 01:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram
Color: Blue
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:139
tminor will become famous soon enoughtminor will become famous soon enough
Default Blueberry's getting there..

This is the second vehicle I've ever owned, first one I've ever paid for myself, and first truck, so it's definitely a learning process! The build is going slow, but I figured I'd make one of these to catch up to what I've done so far then I'll update it as time goes on.

This is how she sat, bone stock (except for some Dick Cepek tires) when I got it from the dealer in 2010. She had about 124k on the odometer and a few leaks and some rust, but was still worth the $5k I spent.

Wasn't much, but I saw the potential in her!
Old 12-14-2013, 01:38 AM

A good amount of time went by before I did anything new to it. Being brand new to the military and supporting two people on one income, upgrading a non-broken truck took the back burner to stuff like buying silverware, a mattress, etc. etc. But, eventually my buddies caught me with some money in my pocket and convinced me to take the leap!

All at once I went with a Rough Country leveling kit (2" spacers up front, 1.5" blocks in the back) that also came with their 5000 series nitrogen shocks. Same time I got that, I got a Yellow Top, did a full tune-up w/ fully synthetic oils all around, new platinum plugs, new wires, cap/rotor, EVERYTHING. Also got the stereo upgraded to all Polk Audio speakers, windows tinted, and my personal favorite: the cat-back dual Flowmaster exhaust! Dual 3" tips look almost as good as they sound!

But, with the leveling kit I couldn't help but notice the huge amount of space in my wheel wells where bigger tires belonged. Found some 35" Toyo MTs on Craigslist for $800, already mounted and balanced. Done deal my friend!

And here's how she looked afterwards:

Old 12-14-2013, 01:44 AM

And she stayed on those Toyos for a long time! Those are some great tires: never got stuck, even in 2WD when I was TRYING to get stuck. Ride awesome on the highway for being such heavy tires (mine were 13.50s so they were pretty beefy) and man do they sound good roaring down the road! The only thing I changed for a couple years was adding a tool box and changing the shocks to the Rancho 9000XL I have on now.

Oh, and I also added a steering stabilizer when I first bought the leveling kit. Just another Rancho 5000 series, but mounted horizontally. Probably not worth it, really haha.

Plus, did I say they never got me stuck?

Old 12-14-2013, 01:54 AM

And then just a few months ago I yet again found myself with some extra money thanks to another deployment, and it was time for some change. (Plus my wife HATED how wide my Toyos were, so she was demanding I change haha).

Anyways, got rid of the Toyos. After 3 years I only put about 3k miles on em, so they were still plenty beefy. Sold em for $500 (only lost $300!) and bought some 35x12.50 Pro Comp MT2s on Mickey Thompson Classics.

I also bought new 4.10 gears, front and back. Yukon up front, USA Standard out back.

Then I added a HI-Lift jack, Bubba Rope, Smittybilt Air Compressor, Currie Tire Deflator, and Rigid Duallys up front (I'll have to get a front shot of the duallys/some night pics cause they look like they came stock on the truck and are SUPER bright!).

And I also forgot to mention in the first post that I bought a Jet Fuel to Air programmer and a K&N CAI. And yes the "programmer" (it's not really a programmer, it just changes the fuel:air ratio for better MPGs) actually works. After adding beefier tires it kept me at the same MPGs, so I saw no decrease with 35" shoes.

Here's how she sits now with her new shoes on!

Just got a recent snowfall, and I can say that these Pro Comps do GREAT in the show! Much better than the Toyos, I'm guessing because they're not as wide so they bite rather than float. Either way, these Pro Comps are an all-around better tire.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:15 AM

And for the future:

Some time next week I should be getting the steering components from a 2500 HD (track bar, sway bar, etc.) put on the front to keep the bigger tires tracking easier. Once that's done I'll be getting Gibson headers put on to complete the exhaust system..and REALLY piss off the neighbors!

I'm wanting to keep the lift on the truck small, but still have articulation, so I'm planning on swapping in short, but adjustable, control arms from DOR. Then getting rid of the spacers for lengthened coil springs instead. And getting rid of the blocks and getting 2" lift Skyjacker springs out back.

And once it's hot outside again I'm going to do the hood, rockers, bumpers, and interior in Rustoleum truck bed liner. I already did the roof (don't have pics, sorry!) with this stuff and it works GREAT! Not too rough, but still a non-skid surface and it already has a semi-gloss to it from the factory so it looks kind of nice.

I had a list of purchases set up to kick off my new year, but they may be getting put on the back burner due to required maintenance. The tranny and t-case are BOTH leaking, so I'll have to get those taken care of before I can press on with things I don't need..even though I really, REALLY want some new stuff haha.

Anyways, thanks for checking out my build thread. If anybody's got ideas I'm ALWAYS up to hearing suggestions on where to go next.
My personal goal is to get these leaks fixed, then start from the ground up: new axle shafts, diff covers, hub kit, then on to the engine (where I've debated a 360 swap, or a 390 stroker kit for my 318..so many options!)

And anybody looking at this, feel free to hijack the thread, ESPECIALLY if you're bouncing upgrade ideas around. As much as I love looking through 6 million pages on this forum to answer each of my questions, it'd be nice if the answers came to me for once!
Old 12-14-2013, 03:12 AM

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT 4x4
Color: Silver/ Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:2826
Canadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome rig you got yourself there .. Great condition 97. I loved how fat those toyos looked on it, but your new tires are real nice.

Brandon...Check out my build thread here
IG:@briley59
Old 12-14-2013, 07:04 AM
I do it because I can!

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Sport 4X4 CC
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:2968
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Sharp looking truck, Dood. I'm diggin' on the the pics of it all mudded up.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:17 AM

Vehicle: 2003 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Patriot Blue
Rep:563
PappaJohnRam is a name known to allPappaJohnRam is a name known to allPappaJohnRam is a name known to allPappaJohnRam is a name known to allPappaJohnRam is a name known to allPappaJohnRam is a name known to all

Beautiful truck, and a great job making her so!
Old 12-14-2013, 11:54 AM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4373
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, have to agree with the others, sweet ride, nicely done, congrats, reps for sharing
Old 12-14-2013, 01:57 PM

I appreciate it, gents! I liked the Toyos too, but the wife made it her mission to talk me out of em haha. Plus with skinnier tires and less offset with the wheels, the ride is much nicer. So as much as we all hate to say it...she was right. Damn, that stings...

3 years in the making so far, and so many more mods to come!