DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lowering Springs, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-18-2015, 11:05 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Sport R/T
Trim Level: Sport R/T
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:10
The Q is on a distinguished road
Default Installed Spohn Adjustable Rear

I hate these forums They make you spend money!!!

Anyway, I installed the Spohn adjustable upper and lower control arms along with the adjustable panhard bar. In comparison to the factory parts the Spohn's are top notch. Below are some pictures with comparisons. Look at the out of round bushing holes in the factory bars. I have to wonder if this is why some trucks experience more wobble than others. I didn't experience any wobble, but if the tolerances are as big as these I can see where there could be problems. I haven't adjusted the rear yet to center the wheels in the wheel wells, but I did check my pinion angle and that is good.

Sorry, no pictures of the installed arms as it's kind of hard to get a decent shot.

BellTech 2/4 Lowering Kit, 22mm Rear Sway Bar, AirLift Durango Air Lift Suspension Bags, Spohn Adjustable Upper, Lower Control Arms and PanHard Bar, Short Front Sway Bar Links, TonnoPro Tri-Fold Cover, BedRug Bed Liner, R/T Embroidered Head Rests, Billet Tech Catch Can and Engine Jewelry, S&B CAI

Last edited by The Q; 01-18-2015 at 12:17 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 01-18-2015, 06:22 PM

Vehicle: 2013 RCSB Ram
Trim Level: ST
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:470
Hornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of light

Looking good Q.

What's your plan for getting the housing center'd in the wells.
Are you using a plumb bob or something along those lines.

I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to use your old arms measurements and go back a certain length from them,then trying to center the housing after the fact,but i'm only guessing as i haven't done it yet

I'm waiting to see what Tool fabs up for his locator bars.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:47 PM

The Spohn bars come jig set at the factory arm lengths, so no real hurry to mess with them. I've been searching for some posts by a guy with the screen name UNBROKEN. I recall he had a shop in Friendswood, Tx get his set up centered. It's a little bit of a trip for me, but if they know what they're doing it may be worth it. I'm a little OCD when it comes to someone else working on my vehicles.
BellTech 2/4 Lowering Kit, 22mm Rear Sway Bar, AirLift Durango Air Lift Suspension Bags, Spohn Adjustable Upper, Lower Control Arms and PanHard Bar, Short Front Sway Bar Links, TonnoPro Tri-Fold Cover, BedRug Bed Liner, R/T Embroidered Head Rests, Billet Tech Catch Can and Engine Jewelry, S&B CAI
Old 01-19-2015, 12:36 AM

Hornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of light

I would think any decent alignment shop that can do 4 wheel alignments should be able to set them up,if you know where abouts you want the diff to sit.
You'll want to make sure it tracks straight so you're gonna need a 4 wheel alignment anyways

Last edited by Hornet; 01-19-2015 at 12:39 AM.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:01 AM

I figure I can find a common point in the wheel well to measure from, then adjust the arms counting number of turns / flats and set them all the same. Recheck the pinion angle, then set the side to side center. Fortunately I have a lifetime alignment package so that part is good. But, I'm still going to look for the shop UNBROKEN used just in case I chicken out!
Old 01-19-2015, 08:32 AM

That's the way i'd do it,but i wouldn't worry about finding the actual center as much as finding a point where the wheels look centered.
The wheelwells on our trucks isn't a perfect circle,so you'll want it set to where it pleases the eye
You could even slightly lengthen the wheelbase over stock,you're a shortbox,so any length you can add to the wheelbase helps the ride.
Just make sure you still have decent driveshaft engagement on the tranny side of things
Old 01-19-2015, 07:13 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram CC 2wd
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:18
Gothemi89 is on a distinguished road

I went with the adjustable track bar but static control arms so I didn't have to fiddle with this. The parts look great! Let us know how centering everything goes for you.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:19 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 QC 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:18
prattman is on a distinguished road

Make sure you slather those adjustment collars with lots of anti-seize. Once they rust they will never move. -Glen