DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram MPG Zone

Notices

Dodge Ram MPG Zone Discuss your MPG woes and helpful hints here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-18-2012, 07:09 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram Big Horn 4X4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Gold
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
Chamba is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel economy on a 5.7 Hemi quad cab

Hi all,

I just wanted to get some input from others about what they are getting in their 5.7 Hemi Ram quad cabs and whether their computers are even remotely accurate.

I get between 7.5 and 9 MPG around town and 13 - 16 MPG hwy. I have stock tires, rarely use the air con, never accelerate hard and occasionally carry loads. It's an '06, 4wd quad cab with no accessories and no camper shell or toneau cover (though I usually have the tailgate off).

My computer estimates my economy to be around 14 MPG pretty consistently - which I only ever get on long trips when I keep the speed down. Is this pretty similar to what everyone on here gets?

I recently took the Ram to Jiffy Lube for an oil change and they did the exhaust sniff. They rated it at 10/10 and said she was running at optimium for fuel economy.

I look forward to your thoughts.

Chamba
Sponsored links
Old 12-18-2012, 07:24 PM
BULLYS PERFORMANCE

Vehicle: MOPAR
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:931
Bully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to behold

I get about that too maybe even a little less, when i was stock i would average probably close to 14 sometimes more sometimes less depending on how i drove, however i have a 2012, but that seems about consistent with what most people are getting out of their stock trucks, i have seen some reports of 16-22 but i can not verify any more than what the computer said and those aren't always that accurate.

ALSO Feel free to PM us, OR post in our Vendor Section for quotes/questions/assistance!
Old 12-18-2012, 10:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: '12 Ram Sport CC / '02 Durango
Rep:154
emjohn4 has a spectacular aura aboutemjohn4 has a spectacular aura about

Lifetime average (4,800 miles), on my '12 Hemi 4x4 Crew Cab: 14.7 mpg. 80% city, 15% towing a 6x12 box trailer, 5% highway.

My EVIC is about 0.5 mpg optimistic.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:26 AM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: SLT Lonestar Edition
Color: Flame Red
Rep:257
HemiLonestar is a jewel in the roughHemiLonestar is a jewel in the roughHemiLonestar is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to HemiLonestar Send a message via MSN to HemiLonestar Send a message via Yahoo to HemiLonestar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamba View Post
Fuel economy on a 5.7 Hemi quad cab
is non-existent....

"Big Red"
2003 Ram 1500 QC Hemi Lonestar Edition (Mods list in profile)
2006 Charger R/T
Sarcasm - it beats killing people
Old 12-19-2012, 11:48 AM
Banned

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram Big Horn 4X4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Gold
Rep:10
Chamba is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys, I suspected that was about right. It is surprising that the EVIC is so inaccurate. I was an airline pilot for many years, and the technology has existed to accurately measure fuel flow for decades. I don't get that. If planes were this aqccurate they would regularly fall out fo the sky with the pilot thinking they still had 3,000 lbs left.

I want to get rid of my 20" rims for some stock 17" with 265 75 17" rubber. I hope the thinner tire width will help fuel econ a bit. I'm not too fussed as fuel is pretty cheap but I feel bad buring so much of it.

Seems odd though that with all the technology in this rig, the fuel economy is so poor. I had a 5.7 Vortec 2000 Chevy Silverado with 33" BFGs, 4wd, extra cab, loaded with toys and accessories, roof rack, winch, etc. and it got 13 mpg pretty consistently around town and as much as 19 on the highway if I kept it to 60 mph.

Chamba
Old 12-19-2012, 12:15 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Chamba, I'm going to presume that airliners have much more accurate fuel gauges than the Piper and Cessna I fly because we're taught to "only trust the fuel gauges when they read empty". That being said, there is no sensor on the truck that specifically measures fuel flow, although that would be a nice addition to the evic. What gear set does your truck have?
Old 12-19-2012, 08:22 PM
BULLYS PERFORMANCE

Vehicle: MOPAR
Rep:931
Bully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiLonestar View Post
is non-existent....
Agreed lol, i didnt buy it for fuel mileage though

ALSO Feel free to PM us, OR post in our Vendor Section for quotes/questions/assistance!