DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Notices

Off Topic Discussion Anything goes in here! Well, almost!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

View Poll Results: Should I move to Canada
Hell Yeah! what are you still doing in Europe? 4 30.77%
Yes, it is a great country and if you have the chance, go for it 5 38.46%
No, Try to go back to Texas 3 23.08%
No, stay in Europe. We need the jobs for our own :P 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-10-2012, 07:49 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:11
Dutch Dodge is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Want to move to Canada, need help

Hello fellow Ram drivers,

After living in Texas for 3 years, I moved back to Holland. Now that I am back here, i've been looking into moving to Canada for 2 years or longer. With this in mind, some questions came up. I would like to get answers from you guys, the Canadians and the people who have experience with Canada. The people I know only went there on vacation, so they don't know the in's and out's.

1. Which province is best? For a job and living, I don't need to make a whole lot but want a secure job, which can cover my expenses.

2. How is the job market at the moment? and how can you get your foot in the door for a job?

3. What do I have to look out for? Scams? Unfair employers? etc.

4. Where can I buy a good Ram? and what are some things I have to look for when buying one? Rust? Age? (Would like a 4X4)

5. How are the living expenses? Higher or lower than the U.S.?

An advanced thanks for helping me out! Hope to get the chance to be driving in Canada!

Sincerely,

Dutch Dodge
Sponsored links
Old 12-10-2012, 07:21 PM

Vehicle: 2012 2500 4x4 Crew-Cab
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black over Grey
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:31
Hardware is on a distinguished road

I've been to Holland (spent an...evening in Amsterdams red-light district ).

Why would you want to leave that for Canada? LOL

It's hard to answer which province is best. What marketable skills do you have? If you do anything that can be applied to oil production or exploration Alberta's the place to start. Exploration side - Hibernia (off-shore Newfoundland) as well.

Canada has a much higher cost of living than anywhere in the continental US and we're taxed pretty heavily.

The economy is stalling somewhat and the public sector is bracing for some tight years budget-wise, with lay-offs hitting federal gov't civil servants.

I wouldn't bank on a "secure" job in light of the economic downturn, but we're not getting it as bad as the US.

There are various scams out there, often targeting immigrant workers. There's a touchy situation unfolding in BC now where a company brought Chinese labourers in to start a mine - the local labour unions are pretty torqued about it.

Fire away with any other questions...
MODS: BAKFlip F1; Head Rack; WeatherTech mud-flaps, vent visors & bug deflector; Cabella's rear seat cover; cabin air filter; Geno's Grill Quick Release Kit, PIAA Xtreme headlamps (Highs, Lows and Foglamps), WeatherTech DigitalFit Floorliners.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:54 PM

Vehicle: 2005 QC 4X4 HEMI RAM
Trim Level: Thunder Road
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:418
hydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nice

I've been to NL, my business partner is on the island of Vlieland. He always talks about importing a Ram and converting to CNG! The problem with buying older vehicles from the great frozen north (Maine) included is many places use salt. I believe Rams are among the best vehicles for resisting rust. Personally, if I was looking for a good older Ram, I'd look on eBay and look for one from Arizona, Texas, Nevada, maybe. If I was to move, I'd look at some of the oil rich areas, Alberta, or maybe North Dakota. The North East (US and Canada) have been hammered by crappy economy. Canada is an awesome country, people are generally friendly and they love their beer, so a Dutchman might feel right at home! Of course there is also Alaska to think about, it's damned beautiful! It might be tough importing a truck from the US to Canada, though it's easy to import Canadian vehicles to the US. Figure that one out.
Inertia Spartan Plus cam, Circle D 3,000 rpm stall converter,Sonnax line pressure booster, Vararam, JBA's with cut outs, Rancho 9000's,3:92's, extra rear leaf.Line-X Bedliner, 210,000 miles To Hell and back. 14.2/96 mph NEDW
Old 12-12-2012, 10:26 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Quad Cab Sport
Color: black
Rep:251
2011 ASSAULT 800 is a jewel in the rough2011 ASSAULT 800 is a jewel in the rough2011 ASSAULT 800 is a jewel in the rough

job market is slow right now in most parts, Alberta and Saskatchewan have the highest job creation in North America right now, but the cost of living is higher too, If you have a trade/ expereince in a career right now you will be better off for finding work sooner but fact is right now 10,000's of thousands of skilled Canadians are out of work in their fields right now. If you can hold off through the winter and play the economy out and see how it is next summer I think you will be better off. If you have good experience in a skilled trade (electrician, HD mechanic etc,) I would google fort mc murray and all the comapnies up there but like I said theres a ton of us that are out of work in our fields due to the economy as it is...
Old 12-12-2012, 10:34 PM

2011 ASSAULT 800 is a jewel in the rough2011 ASSAULT 800 is a jewel in the rough2011 ASSAULT 800 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware View Post
I've been to Holland (spent an...evening in Amsterdams red-light district ).

Why would you want to leave that for Canada? LOL

It's hard to answer which province is best. What marketable skills do you have? If you do anything that can be applied to oil production or exploration Alberta's the place to start. Exploration side - Hibernia (off-shore Newfoundland) as well.

Canada has a much higher cost of living than anywhere in the continental US and we're taxed pretty heavily.

The economy is stalling somewhat and the public sector is bracing for some tight years budget-wise, with lay-offs hitting federal gov't civil servants.

I wouldn't bank on a "secure" job in light of the economic downturn, but we're not getting it as bad as the US.

There are various scams out there, often targeting immigrant workers. There's a touchy situation unfolding in BC now where a company brought Chinese labourers in to start a mine - the local labour unions are pretty torqued about it.

Fire away with any other questions...
Things like that anger me as well, there are tons of skilled Canadians that could fill this positions that are laid off and need work, mines are built every year and Canadians are more than capable. ( I live in a city with probably 15 mines). Every Canadian should be upset by this.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:42 PM
Team Bully

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 QC TRX4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:1722
ShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant future

We, well I am upset about this. As a ticketed journeyman in a trade this really upsets me as this is a huge opportunity for a lot of people and that just doesn't seem to matter to the people making the decisions.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:33 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:11
Dutch Dodge is on a distinguished road

Thanks for y'alls reply, it has been helpfull. The things I can bring to market are more into the Consulting/Marketing/Management.... so pretty much the area's that are being hit the most. As I can tell for your information, it is also difficult in Canada. The part of being taxed pretty heavily isn't something new for me, in the Netherlands we pay close to 50% Tax on a car.... and you don't want to know the Tax we pay on American Cars/Trucks. I am a pretty fast leaner, Theoretical and practice. The main reason I want to make the move, is the fact that I want to see more of the world and the USA and Canada really appeal to me. I want to move from Holland at one point, or whenever I get the chance. The main problem I have is getting a VISA, I promote own people first but it will be great if i can get the chance.

@Hardware: You want to trade? you will get the red light district and I will get the American/Canadian way of living =)
Old 12-13-2012, 10:43 PM

Vehicle: 2012 2500 4x4 Crew-Cab
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black over Grey
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:31
Hardware is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 ASSAULT 800 View Post
Things like that anger me as well, there are tons of skilled Canadians that could fill this positions that are laid off and need work, mines are built every year and Canadians are more than capable. ( I live in a city with probably 15 mines). Every Canadian should be upset by this.
Yeah, I didn't want to turn this into a political discussion so I tried to bring that up in a neutral fashion, but it really pisses me off too. One also runs the risk of being branded a racist if you don't buy into the politically correct party line that we need to welcome foreign labour en mass. There was some debate a few months back over Long Harbour in Newfoundland - there's lots of trades people still looking for work but the company says they can't find enough "skilled" labour so they were exploring bringing them in from Eastern Europe...
MODS: BAKFlip F1; Head Rack; WeatherTech mud-flaps, vent visors & bug deflector; Cabella's rear seat cover; cabin air filter; Geno's Grill Quick Release Kit, PIAA Xtreme headlamps (Highs, Lows and Foglamps), WeatherTech DigitalFit Floorliners.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware View Post
Yeah, I didn't want to turn this into a political discussion so I tried to bring that up in a neutral fashion, but it really pisses me off too. One also runs the risk of being branded a racist if you don't buy into the politically correct party line that we need to welcome foreign labour en mass. There was some debate a few months back over Long Harbour in Newfoundland - there's lots of trades people still looking for work but the company says they can't find enough "skilled" labour so they were exploring bringing them in from Eastern Europe...
I wasnt trying to turn it into politcal anything, you dont want to know my opinions on our current federal government but anyways it was more about just discussing Canada as it is for a potential newcomer, like I said previous if I was the OP I would try to wait out the economy a bit longer if at all possible, or atleast wait out the winter and see how things look. As far as taxes go, yes we pay more but our wages are general hire job for job than south of the border, if you use or need to use the health care system than it is a bonus, we have other benefits that hire taxes get us. I have lately been interested in seeing on average whether Canadians paying hire tax for health care or americans paying for their health care who ends up better over time, now of course it would have to be on an average over a certain amount of people because many peoiple use and many dont use the health care system, but it would be interesting to see overtime who ends up a head